Very minor issues with Robotics SoP

Sadhorizon

Page URL(If applicable): https://paradisestation.org/wiki/index.php/Standard_Operating_Procedure_(Science)

Description of your suggestion or issue report:

Issue number one:
Reticence has no mentions. As we can see in points one and two, all other mechs are mentioned as either: "combat", "utility", or "needs special approval" for HONK. Mime mech lacks mention however.
At first glance, it just looks like "HONK but mime" and it's what most people who dont know how it works assume. It is not. Fast, quiet, deadly (carbine), well-defended (mime rcd). It is combat mech if i have ever seen one
Possible change: 
1. The Roboticist is not permitted to construct Combat Mechs without express permission from the Captain and/or Head of Security. This refers to the Durand, Gygax, Phazon and Reticence. If permitted, the Mechs is to be delivered to the Armory for storage. The Research Director is placed under the same restrictions;
Disclaimer: delivering Reticence to armory sevres no purpose, as it is ID locked to mime access. Some better solution could be needed. Maybe add exception for it? Maybe forbid making it at all? Leave it for antag purposes only?

Carbine, which made me write this in tthe first place, got tweaked to deal stamina damage, making this part irrelevant
https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/19764

Issue number two:
Point six of robotics SoP is straight up incorrect. Yes, you need tracking beacons for combat mechs, but utility mechs have one from moment they are created. What does adding 2nd do you may ask?
image.png.0814206baf7b290e7c5ca80fcc0446f2.png
This is what you often see on exosuit console when playing RD. Utility mechs stated twice
Suggested change:
6. The Roboticist must place a Tracking Beacon on all constructed combat Mechs;
(maybe HONK needs one too? Unsure really)  Edit: HONK needs one too

Issue number two resolved in:
https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/18956

Edited by Sadhorizon
Issue number two resolved. Part of first issue became irrelevant
  • Like 1
  • honk 1

i kinda agree , i mean combat mechs are cool to build and fun to use , but its soo rarely you are using one and most of the time its just locked away ALSO when its like the nukies round you barely have any materials so you can't build any mechs anyways but i still do love combat mechs and building one is very satisfying , wish i could use it in every red alert round

28 minutes ago, sammiekun said:

i kinda agree , i mean combat mechs are cool to build and fun to use , but its soo rarely you are using one and most of the time its just locked away ALSO when its like the nukies round you barely have any materials so you can't build any mechs anyways but i still do love combat mechs and building one is very satisfying , wish i could use it in every red alert round

If you didnt get me right, i suggest making mime mech illegal to build, as it is combat mech that serves no purpose for security.

I dont have issues with regular combat mechs, or at least none i want to talk about here

20 hours ago, Sadhorizon said:

Reticence has no mentions.(...) At first glance, it just looks like "HONK but mime" (...) Disclaimer: delivering Reticence to armory sevres no purpose, as it is ID locked to mime access.

As you said, Reticence would not make any sense in the Armoury, thus I wouldn't place it in the same category as the other combat mechs. I would add it to point 2:

2. The Roboticist is freely permitted to construct Utility Mechs, along with any assorted Utility Equipment. This refers to Ripleys (to be handed to Mining), Firefighting Ripleys (to be handed to Atmospherics) and the Odysseus Medical Mech (to be handed to Medical). The HONK and Reticence mechs are not to be constructed without full approval by the Research Director and Captain;

The Captain can already approve combat exosuits, I think this would ensure that a combat exosuit would not be built without the explicit approval of at least one person who can approve combat exosuits (captain or HOS, captain in this case) + it'd require the RD's approval (which is needed for funky mechs).

20 hours ago, Sadhorizon said:

Issue number two:

Point six of robotics SoP is straight up incorrect. Yes, you need tracking beacons for combat mechs, but utility mechs have one from moment they are created. What does adding 2nd do you may ask?
image.png.0814206baf7b290e7c5ca80fcc0446f2.png

This is just a bug, not sure why basic mechs start with one, but you should definitely not be able to add multiple trackers to the same exosuit. I will try to fix it.

3 minutes ago, Miraviel said:

2. The Roboticist is freely permitted to construct Utility Mechs, along with any assorted Utility Equipment. This refers to Ripleys (to be handed to Mining), Firefighting Ripleys (to be handed to Atmospherics) and the Odysseus Medical Mech (to be handed to Medical). The HONK and Reticence mechs are not to be constructed without full approval by the Research Director and Captain;

It literally fires lethal rounds and can break down walls. Combined with mime rcd that makes invisible defences, it's high speed and fact it makes no sound, i would argue that is is, in fact, a combat mech

1 minute ago, Sadhorizon said:

It literally fires lethal rounds and can break down walls. Combined with mime rcd that makes invisible defences, it's high speed and fact it makes no sound, i would argue that is is, in fact, a combat mech

Not arguing that it is a combat mech, the above-mentioned point is just badly written. The HONK mech isn't a utility mech either. The whole "The HONK mech..." part should be a new, separate point.

As for the mime mech firing lethal rounds, I think that is just an oversight... :(

8 minutes ago, Miraviel said:

As for the mime mech firing lethal rounds, I think that is just an oversight... :(

Let me show you it's description when examining

A silent, fast, and nigh-invisible miming exosuit. Popular among mimes and mime assassins

I would say that it was, more or less, intended for it to to be deadly to some extent

Edited by Sadhorizon
  • eyes 1

Issue number two has been resolved, now there is still a topic of Reticence.

I still suggest forbidding making it SOP-wise, as it is combat mech that is completely useless to crew.

It would be a good solution, as it leaves reticence for antagging. It would be a great tool for either roboticist antag who stole mime's access, mime antag who broke into robotics, or both teaming up to construct it.

• Sadhorizon changed the title to Very minor issues with Robotics SoP

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use