FatBaldBastard

Admin(s) Key: Dsdiy
Your ckey (Byond username): fatbaldbastard
Your Discord name (if applicable):

Date(s) of incident (GMT preferred): 9:20 AM, 31.07.22

ROUND ID: 32259

Nature of complaint: Abuse of powers
Links to all relevant ban appeals for any bans related to this complaint:

Brief description (tl;dr here. Just the critical elements): Staff member found my name inappropriate, and I agreed to have it changed, offering two legal human names for him to choose from, as he prompted. He refused to accept these suggestions, or listen to my pleas, and forced me to agree to a randomized name.

https://forebears.io/surnames/gorilla
https://surnam.es/banana-surname

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_(name)

Full description of events:

PM from-Trial AdminDsdiy: Hi there, got a minute?
PM to-Dsdiy: yes (WINDOW)
PM from-Trial AdminDsdiy: I'm afraid your characters name and flavourtext are inappropriate for this server. If you want, I can change them for you.
PM to-Dsdiy: ok (WINDOW)
PM from-Trial AdminDsdiy: Do you have any preferences?
PM to-Dsdiy: You can remove The (WINDOW)
PM from-Trial AdminDsdiy: I'm afraid it's mostly the gorilla part.
PM to-Dsdiy: As good of a last name as any (WINDOW)
PM from-Trial AdminDsdiy: You can either pick a new name, or I can randomise it for you.
PM to-Dsdiy: Jimmy Bananas (WINDOW)
PM from-Trial AdminDsdiy: It needs to be a somewhat realistic name. Gorilla and Bananas are fine as nicknames, but you need a proper last name I'm afraid.
PM to-Dsdiy: https://forebears.io/surnames/banana (WINDOW)
PM from-Trial AdminDsdiy: Again, Bananas isn't an appropriate last name. Please pick one, or I will pick one for you.
PM to-Dsdiy: Pick one for me then (WINDOW)

<End of interaction>

Hey there- just want to confirm that you are indeed saying that you think being told to not use a name like "bananas" is an abuse of power? And you're serious about this?

Please explain why you think these names are appropriate for the rp environment here, not just an "uhm actually they're technically legal" type of rules lawyering.

7 minutes ago, necaladun said:

Please explain why you think these names are appropriate for the rp environment here, not just an "uhm actually they're technically legal" type of rules lawyering.

I am actually mostly wondering why you think these names are inappropriate, because it's as neutral as it goes. It's not a meme, or a joke, or reference, or anything. It's just a name. As it stands, without any sort of explanation, the only reason told to me "they just aren't appropriate". This report is here because it's just a petty thing to flex your authority over, especially with no explanation given, which suggests personal dislike, rather than tangible damage to RP or anything else.

The name was picked because I liked it. That's it.

Edited by FatBaldBastard

Just to be 100% clear and that you're not fucking with me here:

You don't see a problem with "Jimmy the Gorilla" who has flavour text of "this is a gorilla"?

Seriously?

• Like 2
  • clown 1
  • honk 3

2 hours ago, necaladun said:

Just to be 100% clear and that you're not fucking with me here:

You don't see a problem with "Jimmy the Gorilla" who has flavour text of "this is a gorilla"?

Seriously?

Did you seriously not read the logs? Did you miss the part where I agreed to change that one to a more sensible name? Did you miss the part that sensible names were denied too? Do you even read what I write? I asked explicitly to outline what makes "Jimmy Banana" an inappropriate name, and you straight up failed to!

I am not gonna argue any longer. This is a report, it's up to you what to do with it. If you believe this behavior is appropriate on your server, there's nothing else to discuss... as if you can call that discussing.

• clown 3

Given the context of you originally choosing an utterly unfitting name, I can see exactly why 'banana' and 'gorilla' were denied - they're silly names, and should be reserved for a clown or the like.

This is in no way an abuse of power or someone 'flexing their authority'. It seems to me @Dsdiywas attempting to preserve the RP environment we're looking for. There's nothing about those names that's needed for the character or help the RP at all.

Complaint is without merit.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use