Department Specific Channels in Discord

greenpoison

I'd like to suggest the addition of department specific text channels for the discord server.

There's plenty of potential discussions and opportunities to learn from fellow players when it comes to department specific stuff. I'd love if there was a dedicated space for me to ask questions or just see cool stuff people have to say within the discord in a dedicated area for each department. Through limiting these discussions to their relevant channels, things would remain organised and documented.

i dunno, #helpchat seems sufficient to me. as for documentation, if someone doesnt search, it doesnt matter where the knowledge is, they will just ask without looking up.

I personally like the idea so things are organized, sure. I don’t like the limiting the discussion to the channels alone though. Also, helpchat is, what procdrone said, a great place for these discussion already but I like the idea nonetheless.

TG Manuel's discord had channels like this, the channels were filled with people giving tips about the specific departments and not elitism from what I saw. Saying something like this on Paradise would encourage elitisms is a bit of an overaction unless we really are just worse than TG.

Personally I like the idea. At least it seems worth trying it out, if it would promote elitism in the end we could just nuke the channels. If it does not then there's another place to discuss department specific topics.

I don't think #helpchat really takes care of everything the department text channel would take care of.
I see #helpchat really as a place where you can ask for help and such not really a place to discuss department specifics (SOP, RP, standards, optimization, etc.), tho that might be just me.

So for example, let's say someone wants to share in their optimal set up for xenobiology or they wanna share a pic of them getting stable EER 5000 engine. Where does it go? It really only fits #spacestation_13 but then if someone wants a feedback, their original message will get flooded with other topics really quickly.

In case we had department channels, someone could just post f.e. what they equip themselves as paramedic on #medical and prompt a conversation about optimal paramedic set-up. Sure it could go to #helpchat but personally I think it would fit department channel more. I imagine department text channels could be also used to discuss RP, standards, SOP etc.

• Like 1

My first concern would be channel bloat, the other being that most of these channels will go unused for the most part.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 4:40 AM, Charliminator said:

Only really encourages elitism imo. 

I really disagree that this would cause elitism unless there's something fundamental I'm misunderstanding about the suggestion.  If it's just having a separate channel for each department and everyone is allowed to read and post in those channels then I fail to see how it would cause any elitism.   I don't see this as being much different to games that have a separate forum topic or channels for RPG classes.  It just organizes the discussion into one place and makes it easier for people to seek out and find discussions related to a department they are interested in.

However, I do agree that there's a good chance they just add channel bloat and not get used.  If they did get used though then I could see it being nice to have a specific place to go if you want to have a discussion around something engineering related or if you want to read through previous engineering related discussions.  I personally wouldn't have an issue with trying it out like @BottomQuark mentioned.  Worst case they don't get used or whatever and we remove them.

If we were to try them then I wouldn't make it a strict requirement that if someone starts talking about engineering in the SS13 channel that they get told to go to the engineering channel.  I think it should just be an optional type way of self-organizing discussions if people want to.

Edited by Rythen
  • Thanks 1

I honestly don't see the point don't think it's necessary. You could just make a #thread if you wanted to discuss something. I don't see how it would cause elitism though. Everyone would be allowed to post in the channels, it's just a way to split up topics. If people are being dicks because they think they're more knowledgeable than others of certain departments well .. that's the problem of those people, not the channels. And we can just deal with that. 

Edited by Landerlow
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use