My thoughts on PR #17918 - Replaces Free Guns From Sci With Parts Kits

Atomosk

Personally I don't like it. It makes it harder for the crew to arm themselves in times of crisis and just adds in unnecessary steps and not to mention how clunky the crafting interface is. The lock boxes work fine and I am sure there is no need to mess with an already perfectly fine system. If anything it makes the game less enjoyable for antags by making it almost impossible to get lethals without having having to either a: raid sec armoury (but if they were robust enough to do so sec would have already handed lethals out leaving none to raid) or b: some how not only steal an id with armory access but cargo access and manage to hold down cargo long enough to get guns delivered and then if you wanted to get anything other than basic guns, get to sci and print the parts to make guns (adding in more access requirements). Personally I see this entire merge is no more than a way to allow sec to have a monopoly on guns making it nearly impossible for non robust antags to go loud and making the rounds more boring for everyone and less enjoyable for antags.

(Link to related PR since OP didn't post it)
So i'm gonna preference this by stating that my experiences are a bit outdated in terms of sec vs antags.

But honestly I don't see this as much of an issue.
Antags already have constant access to lethals. Traitors have their uplinks, cult has their weaponry and magic, vampires exist, and the changelings are already decapped so ignore them.

This change is so that the powergamey antags that are already running around with all-access can't just constantly waltz into science and print 3 AEGs and a telescopic shield for free. They at least need to grab an energy gun first, which is both more limited in availability and/or requires work to get.

I've never seen an antag use RnD as their "Only access" to lethal weaponry, in fact it was almost always used to upgrade their arsenal instead.
Robust antags often just take their weaponry off security. Unrobust antags should rely on powerful traitor weapons at the cost of TC to help them get started.

Sec has a monopoly on guns? They always have. That's why they're called "Loot piñatas."

As for slower response to terror spiders/blob, I think the station will adapt.
Currently Cargo only gets you the crappy weaker guns and weapons. If it becomes essential not only for crafting the high tier weapons, but the place where the guns are crafted, it's going to become the most heavily guarded and active spot on the station during biohazards.

Edited by Pckables
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use