Floor tiles PR feedback thread

AffectedArc07

Do you like the new floor tiles  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PR Link: https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/17887

Please leave all feedback in this thread

If your feedback is just "Yay" or "Nay" or similar, please just use the vote. Use the replies for actual critique. 

I like it, floor takes a lot of screen space and it being a bit darker makes it less eye-straining. The bad side of it is that there is less contrast between the walls and the floor. Could be solved making the walls a bit darker, maybe?

Edited by Nazsgull

Love the darker floors, dislike that they all have that changing-room-floor dotted look. Could we not have both? Dotted and un-dotted? Feels good to have to new floors, but the loss of the old ones in favour of uniform grey seems sad.

Maints looks very odd now. I think that it's that they don't have dots, and so look cleaner and more formal than the actual floors, instead of basic and maintsy.

Also; departmental doors no longer matching the colour of departmental floors (e.g. look at sec and engi) is a big no no for me. I love our secdoor red and engi yellow colours, and the new red and yellow flooring seems washed out in comparison to them.

• Like 1

Partially mirroring my late GitHub comment: not a fan; the whole station turns like 40% darker as well as more dull, since the new floors seem to trade natural gentle discoloring and color smudging for flat coloring and a group of dots on each quadrant. With the darker tiles, places like Medbay/Science become gray rather than white, and the half-white-half-colored tiles lose a lot of vibrancy and contrast. The change also messes with the general floor-wall contrast difference, not sure if in a good direction.
One place that does look a bit better is the kitchen, with the black-white tiles becoming a bit less straining to look at, though that's about it.

The maintenance plating has the opposite problem, being very smooth and shiny - almost cleaner than regular floors - which is odd for what's supposed to be a comparatively seldom-used, run-down maintenance tunnel with dirt and cobwebs galore.

I'd also agree that having the dotted floors everywhere is a bit much visually, imo the new dotted variant should indeed be a separate tileset and be used somewhat sparingly; the dots also give the floors a slight "high-traction" feel they aren't supposed to have (as that's a separate unique tile type with actual gameplay effects).

Edited by CinnamonSnowball
Small clarification
  • Like 2

The loss of 2x2 segmenting when adjacent sub-tiles are of the same color ruins the floor painter game, and it's a deal-breaker.

But I could see me liking these if the segmentation was reintroduced.

20220613-184747-dreamseeker.png

20220613-184929-dreamseeker.png

Edited by moxian

I like the new beveling, but overall the beveling and the dots make the floors distracting somewhat.

I personally liked the lighter floors because they stood out from the walls, better highlighting the area where the game is played.

Also heavily agreeing with medical/science being not white is weird and maintenance being way too clean

• Like 1

For those who voted no, is your opinion likely to change if these tiles get split back into quadrants instead of triplets

image.png.ba211b03031d8865d2b65ca0aad0a64f.png

React with a toolbox emote on this post if so.

• toolbox 2

I'm not too big a fan for a couple reasons:
As others said, I feel like it's a bit TOO much darker, doesn't go very well with our walls, and makes things look flatter color-wise.

But personally I really don't like the texture. Feels less like "Tiles" and more like Rubber padding to me.
Which i'll admit i'd like to have as an optional craftable/paintable floor tile for decoration sake, but not as a station-wide replacement.

EDIT:
Also I really think the Plating tiles in maintenance look significantly worse than what we have now.

Edited by Pckables
  • Like 2

I really hate it. The texture is just so ugly to me I can't stand it. I really liked the old floor patterns. Doesn't help that grey is my least favorite color.

They have too much relieve and detail, causing the visuals to feel overloaded. Meanwhile, there are many items that don't have that depth and makes them look out of place.
Also tiles give an industrial feeling to me, maybe its the many dark dots they have, like if it was a metal plate.

The darker tone looks cool, though. Still weird at least in the hallways, since everything seems to be way brighter.

• Like 1

I like the darker style, but all the little dots on them messes with my eyes, it also makes every floor tile look like a tactile floor tile, the ones immune to slipping.

As Alriac noted, its kind of an overload when your playing.

At first i liked it in its entirety, but then it started to make me feel physically ill the more I played. Not a fan of the dot design.

Someone mentioned having 2 versions:

1 Normal undotted design that acts as the default station tile, and the tactile versions get the dots

• Like 1

It's very mixed for me.

On one hand, I like them. It's a nice refreshing look.
On the other hand, the dots throw me off. It's too much noise for the floor and gives it a more industrial look rather than a fancy research space station. Alongside that, the white is very dulled out right now. It gives medbay and even research very sharp contrasts with the rest of their brighter equipment.

The abundance of the 'dots' make them look like ceiling tiles rather than floor tiles. This doesn't mean the dots are BAD, but perhaps we could explore the option to have both an undotted style and a dotted style. It would also double the floor painting option for everyone.

BONUS: I do like the new freezer floor.

Edited by Zedahktur
  • Like 2

I think that these are a massive improvement from the current floor tiles we have

The floor tiles kind of look like rubber? Which is really a minor complaint, but the small dots would likely hurt people's eyes a bit

Our current walls don't mesh great with the new floors, but that's an issue with the walls, objects mesh WAY better with the new floors as you can see them far easier due to the darker colors

most of my issues with the floors come from... other things like weird flooring design on box, rather than being an actual issue with the floors 

• Like 1

People naturally don't like change- but this is a step in the right direction. These floors only look out of place because most of our other sprites are equally as dated as our floors and the amount of negative feedback this PR is getting is the reason why Paradise still looks more or less the same as it did 4 years ago.

Edited by dhu

A lot of this has been said before, but they just seem too dark, and the speckled pattern in each corner of the tile seems off. Reminds me of foam flooring / having no slip mats / rubber boot mats on every tile. Just seems off / distracting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My vote will shift from no to yes if the sprites become a little less busy (as stated by a lot of people, the dots are distracting), and if the common tiles were just the slightest bit brighter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dhu said:

People naturally don't like change- anything new feels weird and different- but this is a step in the right direction. These floors only look out of place because most of our other sprites are equally as dated as our floors and the amount of negative feedback this PR is getting is the reason why Paradise still looks more or less the same as it did 4 years ago.

Do keep in mind that dismissing people's valid feedback as "they just don't like change" is not very good either.

• Like 2

Vocing my opinion from the PR here too. I really like the textures but I would prefer if the brightness was brought closer to our old floors. The dots personally don't bother me but if there's enough voting against them I wouldn't mind seeing a dotless version perhaps (or maybe just an outer line of dots, or corner dots, or some other variations, who knows).

Also very much in favor of making the side colored tiles be 2x2 quadrants instead of triplets.

Personally im fine with the quads or the triplets, but its the dots, the dots really dont do it for me, and mess with my eyes when you see every floor on the map having them.

• Like 1

The dotted pattern makes the floors look like they came straight from Oracle Station, now especially without the quadrants... at least Oracle had some cool floors! 

I might be a bit confused, everyone is mentioning dots and have included a couple of screenshots of dots but on the webmap and image of changes in the PR I don't see any dots.  Was it updated or something since those comments were made?

Nevermind, had to click "after" on the layers in the map.

I am not a huge fan of the dot textures either and echo the comments about it making it look like that non-slip rubber flooring rather than actual tiled floor.

I also am not personally a fan of how some of the paint schemes for a tile merge some of the quadrants of the tile.  I would prefer that it just always keep it as 4 separate tiles of the same size (exactly like how AA suggested in his post above)

The segment thing is the bigger issue for me personally, I could live with the dots but I'm not a huge fan of them.  I think I'd just prefer if the floors were just beveled like they are but with a flat texture on top.  I wouldn't expect that floor tiles would have a ton of texture on them.  I could see there being non-slip flooring as a paint scheme if you wanted that in particular areas.

Edited by Rythen
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rythen said:

I might be a bit confused, everyone is mentioning dots and have included a couple of screenshots of dots but on the webmap and image of changes in the PR I don't see any dots.  Was it updated or something since those comments were made?

Nevermind, had to click "after" on the layers in the map.

I am not a huge fan of the dot textures either and echo the comments about it making it look like that non-slip rubber flooring rather than actual tiled floor.

I also am not personally a fan of how some of the paint schemes for a tile merge some of the quadrants of the tile.  I would prefer that it just always keep it as 4 separate tiles of the same size (exactly like how AA suggested in his post above)

The segment thing is the bigger issue for me personally, I could live with the dots but I'm not a huge fan of them.  I think I'd just prefer if the floors were just beveled like they are but with a flat texture on top.  I wouldn't expect that floor tiles would have a ton of texture on them.  I could see there being non-slip flooring as a paint scheme if you wanted that in particular areas.

I need to update those webmap images, the tiles are no longer triplets

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use