Kocмичecкaя Cтaнция 13 ghost role

Genymene

I'm a big fan of ghost roles that you can chill and do your own thing while still being "in" the game with other players and enjoying that kind of atmosphere.

One of my favorites is being a ghost drone on the bombed out Kocмичecкaя Cтaнция 13 station. I think it is a fun challenge to rebuild it and see how far you can get, It's also good practice for people who are new to the game.

I could be wrong but I haven't seen it in rotation here and was hoping, if its not, we could implement it.  It shouldn't be too hard to do since I've already seen it on other servers so the code already exists.

• Like 2

We don't have that here but I personally also like this idea and I think it'd be nice to have the ability to spawn as a drone on that station through the ghost mob spawners menu or something.

• Like 1

Should be pretty easy thing to port from TG. Could give it a shot after I am done with my current project if no one else more experienced wants to take a crack at it.

• fastparrot 1

I am not sure I'd be able to do this after looking at the code on both TG and Para. It'd require porting all of TG's drone code which is vastly different from the Baystation drones that we use, not to mention KS13 expects drones to do a lot more than Bay drones are capable of.

Anything is possible with code but it wouldn't be a simple port.

Edited by Bmon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bmon said:

I am not sure I'd be able to do this after looking at the code on both TG and Para. It'd require porting all of TG's drone code which is vastly different from the Baystation drones that we use, not to mention KS13 expects drones to do a lot more than Bay drones are capable of.

Anything is possible with code but it wouldn't be a simple port.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? I assume it's the fact that TG has scout/repair/maintenance drones. I only ever used the maintenance drone as the goal of KS13 was just to repair the station to the best of your ability which I think the Maintenance drone code from paradise would work fine for. It might be fun to think of adding additional stuff later but for an initial roll out I think just the one drone type would be fine.

6 hours ago, Bmon said:

not to mention KS13 expects drones to do a lot more than Bay drones are capable of.

I expect you could make a new lawset, and a new subtype of drone and/ or drone fab that could spawn in with said lawset. 

As for capability, while bay drones don't have hands, they are still very adept at most construction tasks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Genymene said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this? I assume it's the fact that TG has scout/repair/maintenance drones. I only ever used the maintenance drone as the goal of KS13 was just to repair the station to the best of your ability which I think the Maintenance drone code from paradise would work fine for. It might be fun to think of adding additional stuff later but for an initial roll out I think just the one drone type would be fine.

so Paradise is a fork from the Baystation12 codebase which is a fork of an older version of TG's codebase before TG had drones. Bay decided to do their own thing with drones while TG decided to port drones from NTstation, a now very dead codebase which had a different way of handling drones.

I can give you an example, Bay drones are silicons while TG drones are a simple animal, meaning our drones inherit a lot of things that cyborgs can do(UI, law manager, needing power, etc) and a lot of things that would make this harder (not having hands, being linked to a console, regenerating materials from power, etc)

7 hours ago, Spacemanspark said:

I expect you could make a new lawset, and a new subtype of drone and/ or drone fab that could spawn in with said lawset. 

As for capability, while bay drones don't have hands, they are still very adept at most construction tasks.

I mean yeah that would be pretty easy to do but it's more so the drones needing to pick up materials and place and push and pull stuff around that Bay drones just can't do. Also as I mentioned before Bay drones are silicon subtype so they inherit a lot from other silicons which is something that would have to be mostly cut out for them to work.

The easiest way to do this would be to just use TG drones, but having both TG and Bay drones in the same codebase seems really janky... if the idea of making silicon drones mostly not silicon wasn't already.

also totally forgot KS13 on Para was replaced a few years ago by a mostly intact donut station which is not at all set up to be built on so rip.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bmon said:

I mean yeah that would be pretty easy to do but it's more so the drones needing to pick up materials and place and push and pull stuff around that Bay drones just can't do.

Drones have a gripper to pick up things like circuit boards and put them into things.  They also have all the basic building materials inside of them.  What types of cases are you thinking of where they'd specifically need to be able to push or pull things or use other materials?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rythen said:

Drones have a gripper to pick up things like circuit boards and put them into things.  They also have all the basic building materials inside of them.  What types of cases are you thinking of where they'd specifically need to be able to push or pull things or use other materials?

The server I played this on was Fulpstation, the drones there could move unanchored things like computers and machines around. The drones on paradise are pretty gimped in this way they can't really interact past pulling metal and glass around.

14 minutes ago, Genymene said:

The server I played this on was Fulpstation, the drones there could move unanchored things like computers and machines around. The drones on paradise are pretty gimped in this way they can't really interact past pulling metal and glass around.

Yeah but I feel like you could still work around this use case by deconstructing and reconstructing the thing you need to move around however this obviously wouldn't work for things that can't be deconstructed so yeah I see your point.  I think mainly this would be an issue if you wanted to try and set up some sort of power generation or something that involves emitters.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rythen said:

Yeah but I feel like you could still work around this use case by deconstructing and reconstructing the thing you need to move around however this obviously wouldn't work for things that can't be deconstructed so yeah I see your point.  I think mainly this would be an issue if you wanted to try and set up some sort of power generation or something that involves emitters.

I agree, I think its totally workable. I just don't really have the skills to do it myself so I can't complain. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use