Add chem dispenser to botany at roundstart

Auce

It is kind of silly that step 1 of doing botany every single round is to go bug R&D for a chem dispenser, can we save everyone a bunch of busy work and just have one spawn there?

Same could be said about engineering and autolathe.

Step 1 is to set up power

Step 2 is to set up autolathe for RCDs

Placing autolathe in engineering and chem dispenser in botany at round start would be comfy for sure. But i would be against it. I see it that way: if you want me be efficient in your work you need to do something extra, like bother RnD for chem dispenser. Departments are supposed to work together, and a little bit of conversation and wait won't kill anyone (probably).

It's just one of the things you do and then forget about it for the next 2 hours.

You don't need one, per se, and Botany really can take the 20 seconds it takes to walk to Science and get one. As with any Department you should only start with the basics and any upgrades require cooperation with other Departments.

That and Science can look you in the eyes and say "yeah you get this but make sure you get us our damn plants."

• Like 2

Chem dispenser isnt required to do botany. you can obtain everything by growing and editing plants. Botany is fully self sufficient, Chem dispenser is a nice perk but is not a perk you're owed. its a gift, every single time. now dont go expecting and demanding it now by standard. Be thankful every time. (or, edit your plants to produce your chems)

• Like 2

Same vibe as science stealing the ORM or for some reason getting another for RnD alone. Not really needed and you can do without it. Even then I don’t think botany having their own chemistry dispenser would be smart seeing as they stand real close to science with their powergaming tools. Maybe a special dispenser with only chemicals needed for botany stuff. Bye

• Like 2

Botany grabbing its own chem dispenser has been a meta thats only popped up in the last year or so. Botany never grabbed one previously, the old method being using Blumpkins and Glowshrooms to create a wheat plant that grows infinite Unstable Mutagen.

I won't lie, I do like the chem dispenser meta, it makes botany a lot more chill and saves a ton of time at the start, plus infinite Saltpetre.
But it's still just a community meta, and not at all what Botany is designed around.

Edited by Pckables
  • Like 2

A Chem dispenser is not in any way required to do botany, it just makes early stuff easier. I have done botany without a dispenser many times, I just grab one for the sake of medchem and science nowadays.

• Like 1

Science benefits greatly from the plants they get from botany. It is in their best interest that they recieve a dispenser. You can grow the plants without a dispenser, but at a slow pace. There is a reason why you should never give a perma prisoner access to banana seeds. 

6 hours ago, AffectedArc07 said:

yeah no

This tbh.

5 hours ago, Fox McCloud said:

This is powercreep extra-ordinaire.

Botany needs nerfs, not *buffs*.

We have figured out how to summon Fox. Just make suggestions to buff botany or other overpowered departments. 😏

How is this a buff to botany? They get access to a chem dispenser every single round, it just creates annoying work for science and makes botanists upset when they don't have their mutagen immediately.

Also anyone saying botany is possible without a chem dispenser, I thoroughly challenge you to have the patience to do it without one. Try mutating ambrosia gaia with left4zed, yeesh.

12 minutes ago, Auce said:

Also anyone saying botany is possible without a chem dispenser, I thoroughly challenge you to have the patience to do it without one. Try mutating ambrosia gaia with left4zed, yeesh.

Prior to the current Meta, Botanists would ask chemistry for 1-2 buckets of Unstable Mutagen at round start (which should only take about 10 seconds to make).
Those 2 buckets would be used to mutate Pumpkins into Blumpkins to get Chlorine and Plasma plant-disks, then use glowshrooms (from a hacked seed vendor) to get the Radium plant disk.
Take a wheat seed and remove all its traits, put on Chlorine, Plasma, Radium, and Perennial growth (gotten from Apples), and you have an infinite Unstable Mutagen plant.
Any leftover Mutagen from the first 2 buckets can be used on Ambrosia while the wheat grows.

Without a personal chem dispenser, you won't be able to max out potency, yield, and production speed at the snap of your fingers, but that's not critical, especially at round start.

And no, departments aren't going to be given their own stuff just so that they can bypass the need to talk to another department for 10 seconds. That has already been a discussion in other suggestion threads.

13 minutes ago, Auce said:

How is this a buff to botany? They get access to a chem dispenser every single round, it just creates annoying work for science and makes botanists upset when they don't have their mutagen immediately.

You can, ya'know, just say no to botany? Very few (good) botanists care when they don't have access to a chemical dispenser.

The strategy of taking a chemical dispenser from scichem was only popularized during late 2020 because of the great science drought leading to the second scichem dispenser (or scichem at all) not being used. Anyone who did botany before 2020 or has had the pleasure of taking a whopping 3 minutes out of their time out of their day to mutate pumpkins know its not too hard.

The main reason botanists take chemical dispenser is for /saltper/, NOT unstable mutagen. I feel that you could definitely learn alot more in botany, and I'd be happy to help you do so. (This is also why bees fell out of favor)

Onto the reason why giving botany a roundstart chemical dispenser is a poor idea: they just have it now. This in itself is a very bad thing as it makes chem as an antagonist outclassed almost entirely. Put short- it's an unneeded buff for the sake of a convenience.

Something you could also do is try to chat with science and ask them, the people handing chemicals and all, to make the required chems. Now you have a bit of RP and work going on for both sides to be happy. Problem solved with an even better solution that was fun for both sides!(I hope at least)

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use