Choice between different armor for ERT

Pyrodes

Since ERT can't have combat mode, can they at least get a choice between spawning with the amber/red armor instead of having to choose between an agonizing slowdown on their hardsuit which will leave them screaming at science for red slime potions or no armor at all?

No idea on coding difficulty but it would basically be like this

Amber - Amber armor only

Red - Choice between amber armor or red hardsuit

Gamma - Choice between amber armor or gamma hardsuit

I don't really know if gamma should get the option or not since all the benefits of their suit kind of outweigh the penalty of the slowdown but then again speed is the deciding factor in combat a lot of the time, feel free to add criticism or ideas.

I'm going to second that -something- needs to be done about ERT slowness.

You're always going to have some first-time ERT, and the slowdown only exacerbates the issue. New ERT that don't know red potion meta or exactly where to go to control chokepoints/surround an antag in maints are going to squander their precious slow movement wandering around being lost, automatically separated from more experienced ERT that do either have redpotions or know exactly where they're going at all times. They become the lone loot pinatas that everyone likes to joke about ERT being. At least, that was my exact experience as a first-time ERT.

While I don't play a lot of sec or ERT, it's hardly fair to say that I'm inexperienced at the game in general either.

Speed is too important in ss13 combat, and too often the sorts of antags that require an ERT are the sorts of antags that know how to leverage a speed advantage and how to ignore armor by stunning/disarming people. It shouldn't be a better choice to take off your hardsuit than to wear it. Let alone rely on xenobio for a near-mandatory fix to the issue.

16 minutes ago, SpringSkipper said:

I'm going to second that -something- needs to be done about ERT slowness.

You're always going to have some first-time ERT, and the slowdown only exacerbates the issue. New ERT that don't know red potion meta or exactly where to go to control chokepoints/surround an antag in maints are going to squander their precious slow movement wandering around being lost, automatically separated from more experienced ERT that do either have redpotions or know exactly where they're going at all times. They become the lone loot pinatas that everyone likes to joke about ERT being. At least, that was my exact experience as a first-time ERT.

While I don't play a lot of sec or ERT, it's hardly fair to say that I'm inexperienced at the game in general either.

Speed is too important in ss13 combat, and too often the sorts of antags that require an ERT are the sorts of antags that know how to leverage a speed advantage and how to ignore armor by stunning/disarming people. It shouldn't be a better choice to take off your hardsuit than to wear it. Let alone rely on xenobio for a near-mandatory fix to the issue.

Well I do believe the ERT has a slow to counter their pretty good gear. And imo if you’re a new player you shouldn’t be going ERT. Even a first-time ERT should know about red slimes and such(I hope). But yes the slowdown is the trade for getting very good gear.

ERT gets very good weapons, only. The armor does also have good damage reduction I think for what that's worth. They also get flashbangs, which is nice against large-scale mob threats like cult.

But aside from internals, hardsuit immunity to syringes (does... anyone actually antag primarily with syringe guns, aside from maybe virologists?) and a pair of magboots, ERT is no more immune to stuns/disarms/knockdowns/instagrabs/etc/etc/etc than anyone else, and they're fairly lacking in medkits/field healing (gotta trudge back to medbay now with that super slow speed. Or grab up medkits - yet another pretty good piece of gear that they don't get to start with). In the stun-and-drag centric gameplay of the server, immunity or resistance to these sorts of things is what would justify slowness. That's the sort of thing that actually constitutes 'good gear'. Anyone can tell you that having good gear is more than just having a really good gun.

I'm not a new player, at all. I simply don't play a lot of sec or combat roles on this specific server. I made several other mistakes as first-time ERT that I'm entirely willing to chalk up to my own ineptitude, including misusing magboots (I thought they were equipped because I could toggle them in the top left, when in fact they were in my backpack) and stabbing someone in reactive teleport armor right as they were about to have it removed (definitely not a proud moment).

But the slowdown was utterly and completely miserable. It magnifies any mistake in positioning, makes it easy to lose track of teammates and end up alone and vulnerable, makes pursuit a losing game, and generally just gives the antag the option of engaging with or ignoring you at their leisure. ERT should arrive ready to fight. If red potions are mandatory for ERT, and centcomm is sending them with the actual expectation they'll resolve the issue, why does ERT need to gear up after arrival?

Edited by SpringSkipper

To start off, ERT's need to be easily identifiable from a distance and you should be able to know what kind of ERT they are based off the armor that they are wearing, giving ERTs the option to swap into amber armor will decrease readability pretty drastically. Now, there is 2 ways that this problem can be resolved, 1. we make it so that they get a new sprite depending on ERT sent (y tho) or 2. we change it so that ERTs have their code level on their IDs (Also not very readable). These two options are, of course, are not ideal in the slighest and will cause one of the two armor sets to become basically newb traps, or will cause readability to be significantly worse. 

Now, let's get into my thoughts on the matter. ERTs are fine as is, maybe even /too/ powerful at the moment, giving them more options is to be avoided without first lessening their power of their kit. If an admin thinks you need speed boosts for your armor, they will give you swiftness/speed potions. Hell, I personally really don't like speed potions becuase of their balance implications with how easy they are to get, but ERTs getting them because they just want to be /extra sure/ they can catch an antag seems not only cheap to me, but very much a bad/powergame-y thing to do.

Oh, and if you don't think people are gonna try and meta TF outta this, bless your soul. (People will use knowledge on whether or not genetics or xeno has red potions to make their choice, which is bad)

Local Commander ERT enjoyer here to make a very particular point about ERT armour.

image.thumb.png.257b072aa013610be2a201c4ffb15014.png

So as you know, its bulky slow but well defended.

image.thumb.png.ee5d8219ba858260897cf337c876142b.png

So clearly the only option is to take it off and carry it around right? Incorrect.

image.thumb.png.19ba52ec8cb05b874293a05730e0590e.png

You do not always have to wear the hardsuit as ERT. If you're going into a highly lethal fight or fighting in an EVA environment you can put the hardsuit back on with ease. This goes the same for all other ERT armours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 10:18 PM, ItsMarmite said:

You do not always have to wear the hardsuit as ERT. If you're going into a highly lethal fight or fighting in an EVA environment you can put the hardsuit back on with ease. This goes the same for all other ERT armours.

Bro how did I never know you can put ERT armor in backpack my god

• clown 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use