Virtual Gameboard Multiplayer.

ReVoS12

There is fair amount of chess players on server who would love that idea:
Making Virtual Gameboard playable for two instead of vs.AI 
Why it is a good change? 
> We gather on server to interact with each other.(those who wanna play alone will still  have Orion etc.)
> Playing agianst AI engine in chess is painful.
> Making your own chessboard is also painful. It is easy to make board but very hard to find substitute for pieces.

Difficulty in code: Hard to tell, but it is a change in something  already existing in the game. 

Alternate. While writing this post i came up with another Idea:
Cardboard chess pieces!
+ even easier to add. 
- shitters may steal your pieces during ongoing game.

• Like 1

This is doable, but painful. Currently, all the chess code is entirely client side. The server doesn't know how your chess game is going, what pieces are where, etc etc etc, all it knows is that you are playing chess.

To make this work, the entirety of chess would have to be rewritten in DM, not JS, including all of the rules and piece manipulation.

It is doable, but it is by no means an easy task.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see this as an important feature, but if you wanted to do it more easily, wouldn't it be enough just to create a chess window where both players can move the pieces however they want and display the result to your opponent? I.e no checking that a move is legitimate or not, just an interface where you can move chess pieces.

So yes, you could theoretically cheat and move your pieces wherever, but just like in real life, this would be frowned upon.

This could also lead to playing interesting chess variants like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_chess

Edited by maxfromsweden
Re-stated a sentence.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this would be a great feature idea, and would create a form of competition that's:
A) Conducive to conversation.
B) Not bloodsport.
C) Not taking up an area the size of the bar and requiring 20 minutes setup time.
D) A game people actually know how to play. Try actually organizing a game of poker. Good luck.

Okay since we know that main idea is too much effort to code it and no one is up to that task. Here is a deal we have amazing chess pices made by The Slime King Dan. If there is anyone who can code them into cardboard crafting (i belive one cardboard for each is enough) and make a PR.. Then we can have chess in game with minimum effort!

chess.dmi

Edited by ReVoS12

I've coded and implemented all but the chessboard pieces. I feel that's something that would best be done on a floor painter, and I'm not too keen on delving into floor painter/decal code.

That said the chess pieces look absolutely amazing. I'll PR it as soon as I get a head of staff to sign off on it.

dreamseeker_n1sXvYaOco.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use