How Did You Get Here - Jobs!

MattTheFicus

I always find it really interesting to see how people go through the many jobs you can play on-Station. So, I wanna know how you got to playing your current favorite role(s). Ill bold roles that have stuck as my favorites and underline stuff that I'd consider a "main" role for my character(s) specifically!

For me, its a LONG journey...

"Old" Malvor: Cargo Tech > Bartender > QM > Medical Doctor > Security Officer > CMO > HoP > Warden > HoS > Captain
[I pretty much only played these roles for my first 6ish years of SS13, i was a gameplay nerd with minimal care for RP. This was my path WAY back when I played Bay and Para ages ago]

"New" Malvor: Security Officer > Warden > HoS > Blueshield > Captain > Magistrate > Shaft Miner > Barkeep/Chef > Coroner
[This "path" would be the one I've taken since coming back in 2019. Its a LOT more varied and RP-oriented compared to my old path.]

In the past 2+ years I gained a new path for a new character too, and they had their own journey!

MAL VR: Engineer > Atmospherics Tech > Scientist > RD > CE

And of course, my one-off Characters.

Atichiki: Chaplain > QM > Janitor

Edited by MattTheFicus
c o l o r
  • Like 2
  • fastparrot 1

It took me ages to learn the game because I am stupid and had to make like 200 mhelps on the way. (EDIT: I have 147 mhelps in total, checked by a mentor)

When I first began, I played Cullen Disero/Bebe the humans while learning the very basics.

The jobs I did then were Janitor > Cargo > Bartender > Learning to do shit while a Civilian > Xenobiology

After playing a bunch, around the time I learned xenobiology, I also unlocked Drask which then led me to making Kruum.

I then branched off from Xenobiology and learned all of Science. > Then I began to play Chef and understand the basics of CQC and cooking.

After fiddling around and getting bored of Science, I needed to get my hands dirty on a new job, that's when @Miraviel taught me how to be a good medical doctor in one single shift. I then went > Medical Doctor > Coroner and taught myself Surgery through the wiki.

Since then, my usual jobs for Kruum consist of > Chef > Science >Medical > Cargo

I've yet to learn Engineering and Atmospherics but I hope to some day. I don't think I'll ever be security gaming but, maybe in the near future.

Paradise Station is also the only server I've properly played besides Colonial Marines, and honestly I don't see me in the future changing servers at all.

Edited by ArcZelf
  • fastparrot 1

Good, keep making mentorhelps. ♥

I started over four years ago, so I don't remember my exact path, but it went something like:

Robotics > Medical Doctor > Botanist > Chemistry > Engineering > Scientist > Virology > Xenobiologist > Atmospheric Technician > Chef > rest of the jobs.

I was stuck in the robotics role for at least a month, since it taught me everything from putting items together, building machines, doing surgery, and so on. I was also stuck in mentorhelps 24/7 because most of my tickets were me apologizing for the dumb questions (don't do this) while asking people in LOOC to be patient with me.

A little fun fact, for my first week or more, I was an antag target for almost every round. I adamantly believed I was such a bad player, I just got killed for it every time. I didn't even question it...

Edited by Miraviel

Oh this looks interesting since i stuffed nearly 1000 hours of gameplay to 6 months i remember how i started playing the game.

Ofcourse i started as an assitant probably everyone started to play as greytider but doesnt even feel like its worth to mention it but it was good for me to learn controls, UI and especially the game terms everyone was using like AA and HoP and stuff...

After few rounds i realized that library while being public and most visited(i mean passing by) area it wasn't really that important to anyone and i often saw bookshelfs empty so i wanted to change that and actually add extra interactions to anyone that wanted to visit library so it was my second ever job.

After i was used to controls and UI a bit more my third job was security officer because i thought it would be fun you know being on the mind "i am gonna help people today" and so but it ended up as getting hated by people because i was new and usually died in maints to various antags, still i had good times too and enjoyed it.

After some weeks i think i played more basic jobs that i should have played earlier like cargo tech, doctor and QM maybe a janitor too but i wasn't really interested in service or miner jobs usually but cargo was good since you had busy working with crate dragging and taking requests from people its fun but i prefer to work alone.

And in a round as a QM, captain of that round made me acting HoP for a while and it was very exciting to me so i played QM for a good amount of time for making cargo better(not giving clowns multitool for example lol) and just to be acting HoP by any change but then i realized that if i want to play HoP i needed to get that hours in command so i played few rounds as HoS and mostly as CMO for it, i don't really play this jobs anymore i was not the best at it :) and i did not have interest to play in command roles except HoP really.

After getting enough hours being HoP was literally my favorite job for weeks and then i thought the reason... was it because i had cute Ian? Feeling like an important person? Bridge chilling? No but i liked it because... uhm... i was thinking that i was doing my job better than any other HoP  simply because i was mostly manning my desk and not closing shutters while doing whatever the fuck else and checking my departments especially botany as well as ensuring kitchen always had food basically serving people better!

With same logic i started to play as paramedic since some paramedics was going cyro so quick or not checking crew monitor at all while people were lying dead in maints also paramedic has a cool space suit and weee wooo ambulance its cool and fun saving people.

So i mostly played as Paramedic, HoP or as security officer all because i wanted to help and serve better to people (and because i thought that i was doing my jobs better than most other people) with the things that can effect their round. This was my purpose since i started to play as librarian. Trying to make better experiences in rounds for people!

I also had some round as chemist and scientist filling public fridge and making fires sci-chem is fun.

Though nowadays i mostly play as assitant, return of the tide!!! Becuse its chilling and not bad for roleplaying too

Sorry if this was long lol i wanted to write.

• Like 1

I started playing way way way way back in 2013, and I think there was like a two year period that was fairly heavy around 15/16. Back then I didn't really involve myself with the community; just hopped on, did some spess, and that was it. Wasn't even really aware of any 'community' back then, and that was nice cause you were muted from any drama going on. So I hail from the days when mining hardsuits and helmets were all one-item and not separate things. Old.

I did a LOT of mining starting out cause I was just apprehensive about joining other roles. I remember trying to learn science very early on and met an extremely unfriendly know-it-all player that turned me off for abit from learning new stuff. It was the kind of attitude that was ahelpable, put it that way.

Pretty sure the job process was Mining>Cargo>Security>Engineering>Command>Service>Medical>Science> - Red being primary job roles, green being jobs that I rarely dabbled in, Orange being secondary. 

Engineering was interesting for a time. If I'm doing any role that could potentially affect an entire round, I test it first by creating my own solo server. I remember setting up the Tesla quite a few times, working out the kinks, what not to do, what to do, etc. And THEN, when it came to putting all that practice into play on live, something still got messed up somewhere, somehow. No idea how but thankfully it didn't result in any round ending catastrophe.

In relation to engineering, Mechanic was something I did a lot before its sad removal. It was one of my favorite jobs to find RP opportunities in. Some of my favorite roleplay came about just as a result of building a pod for someone or going out to check out a stationary gps signal to discover someone in need of rescue. I remember essentially becoming space paramedic when the syndi depot changes came into effect to turn it into a little 'dungeon' of sorts, and everyone and their mother donned an EVA suit and went out to try it. Sadly this included the onboard station paramedic who got themselves killed. The amount of taxi-runs I did ferrying corpses back and forth... It's a role I'm going to miss purely for the roleplay nature of things. It isn't all about just trucking it into space.

Getting into security, I played secborg (don't hate me!) a lot to get a feel for security. When security pod pilot became a thing, that was my primary introduction into security, away from the AI. Was a fun role, made all the more fun for the regular faces that would pop up.

My only real medical experience is coroner and paramedic, both of which are years ago. I play Psych a fair bit presently on a non-primary character for the roleplaying opportunities. Medical to me is definitely a love/hate relationship and I have a lot of respect for players who learn that role and use it as their mains.

HOP was my first command role. Can't say I particularly enjoyed it. One of those roles where you need to have a suitable character to go along with it. If I'm not enjoying the character, I'm not enjoying the role. I have one in mind in my pocket just for HOP, but not got around to implementing it yet. 

Blueshield is red cause I have experience in that role, but it's definitely a 'mood' job. Am I in the mood to babysit command this round? "Oh god, ITS THIS CAPTAIN, AAA", that kind of thing. Fun role though, I don't play it nearly as much these days.

NT Rep, oh boy. I love this role. I have two characters specifically for this. It can be fun although you will get rounds where you are just not doing much, but is still interesting regardless. I've not really played this role much since my return to spess recently cause I need to brush up on SOP and any changes in general. 

Chef piqued my interest for a bit but I hate the cooking system; there's no room for experimentation and you have to follow the recipes to the letter. I don't find it enjoyable. 

These days, I get a fair bit of enjoyment out of Cargo. Mining is fine, but it is mostly a solo-endeavor for the most part. Cargo is great cause lot of interaction with the crew and that's what keeps it interesting. 

I think jobs that I'm interested falling back into again are Blueshield/Detective/Rep/HOP.

Edited by Xyd
spelling
  • Like 1

Right, let's see here...

First character was a lovely lady called Audrey, who then became Audrey Atkinson, and I think currently resides, unused as Audrey Goldsmith. First character I made, learning the ropes. Mute, because I made her that way after my first time playing as a mime, I would get job transfers to robotics to learn while still being a mime, eventually changing to just straight robotics and further progressing into medical due to how fun I found the surgery process.
Went Mime > Roboticist > Surgeon > and then the rest of Medical, I believe, with the exception of CMO. 

Next up, we got Emily. Emily originally started out as a boring, grey IPC called E.M.I.L.E. (Didn't stand for anything). I played one shift as HoP, which was also my first shift as Captain, before realising I didn't like the emotionless paperwork robot. Due to being heavily depressed at the time, I decided to change from no emotions to one emotion - Happy! Fitted with an emotional inhibitor, E.M.I.L.E. got a pink paintjob and became E.M.I.L.Y., later evolving into Emily-5 who 'broke' her inhibitor to allow her to feel all emotions (I got salty), then finally stopping at Emily-7. Nowadays, I don't touch the character slot, but I do still use the name Emily for when I play AI.
Went HoP Captain > AI > (this is where stuff gets messy) CMO RD Engineer CE > I think Warden goes here? Maybe Detective first > More Medical I think > NT Rep Blueshield Magistrate AI again and I think this is where I left off (this list does not include any roles I played for a single shift only, nor does it include the rotation after Magi in which I just cycled between Captain, HoP, Magistrate, NT Rep and Blueshield on repeat for about a year. I played almost every single role as Emily. Cargo was at some point but I don't remember the timeline.)

At some point during the long, seemingly unending Emily saga, I unlocked slime people. (oh god oh fuck she powergaming)
Firstly, I made Domino. A simple, mute slimegirl (to replace Audrey who I made not-mute). Not a very big list here.
Bartender > MechanicStation Engineer

And then I made Sunrise. A germaphobe, an interesting roleplay challenge. Pretty much the same personality as the rest of my characters (I am bad at roleplaying).
Mostly just cycling between Command roles, occasionally switching it up to play Security or Internal Affairs. Usually playing as HoP, if anything. Played a few rounds as Medical Doctor but given the germaphobe thing, I would only do first aid and even then I wouldn't do much in terms of that. Also a fan of Coroner.
I don't really remember the specific order but it's something like
Security Officer > Security Pod PilotWarden HoS Detective Brig Physician > Magistrate NT Rep Captain HoP

I need to learn atmos at some point maybe probably who knows

• Like 1

Oh this is a neat thread.

Well lets see, we can start off with my killed off character, Menkheres Veritas. He started off as a human Assistant. He stayed away from Cargo since it wasn't interesting for him. At some point in time, while he was waiting near Brig to talk to the Head of Security about shadowing a Security Officer for off-the-job training, a Traitor suicide bombed the Head of Security, putting Menkheres into crit. Medical transplanted his brain into a humanized Farwa and became a Tajaran. Later getting enough training to become a full time Security Officer. He was eventually captured by the Syndicates and held for ransom against his wife, Sophia Veritas. Unfortunately he was killed after Sophia was caught by Cyberiad security and failed her objectives.

His life was well lived but ended to soon.

Assistant > Security Officer > Security Pod Pilot > Deceased

Then there's Sophia Veritas herself, a Vulpkanin. She has a very neat freak personality, hating it when blood gets on her coat. Her favorite department used to be a tie between Engineering and Security, with Medical being nice until the inevitable shit hit the fan, blood getting all over medbay and it becoming stressful. She also had a pretty sad time as Scientist where she blew herself and a couple close friends up... multiple times. Sorry Shockpoint. Having dabbled with Security, Medical, and Engineering for the most part, decided to try Command out, starting with Chief Engineer. This was before the SM was brought on station by the way. Rarely doing Head of Security unless absolutely necessary, and having a love/hate relationship with Blueshield. She has a bit of experience with Captain but doesn't enjoy the weight of a station's responsibility on her shoulders. I believe she did HoP quite frequently but stopped when it became a regular occurrence of her becoming Acting Captain.

Assistant > Security Officer > Station Engineer > Medical Doctor > Virologist > Chemical Researcher > Chief Engineer > Head of Security > Head of Personnel Blueshield > Captain

I have an AI / Cyborg Persona I used to play quite a bit, Red Queen & Red Prince respectively. Though Red Prince is now decommissioned with SecCyborgOS being phased out of NT Manufacturing.

There is also the IPC H.E.L.P.eR. that specializes in Medical.

Edited by Vallidian
  • Like 1

Right that's a nice thread .

I had quite a lot of characters so it won't be accurate for sure but I started to play with Jhony Gridlas the human , at the start of where I played I tried cargo/mining then went to medical with him then security then going to research.

Not long after I unlocked ipc and transfered Jhony to ipc and made him swedish , I grinded Research Director hours with that version of Jhony and tried HOP and Captain with him.

I had then an AI mood so i've spent quite a long time as one.

Then I unlocked plasmaman and made Thorium , with him I did engineering work and atmospheric work then decided I wanted to know how to be effective in medical so I did medical doctor then Coroner then I did some Nanotrasen Representative and magistrate work and quite a lot of captain work .

Then after a permaban due to sm shards I decided to make a new character far away from engineering so I won't ever make that mistake again so J.U.S.T.I.C.E. was created he is a ipc security officer , I spent quite a lot of time with him just being a security officer and with him I've refined my space law knowledge as a magistrate.

Then I decided that I wanted to learn HOS / service so I made a new character again called Khjari'Rhastan and learned chef with him.

Then I did another character for botany and roboticist work named Zrak , outcast of clan Vraz .

And now recently I've played again with Thorium and went back to my beginning by doing some mining and captain work.

Its hard to remember precisely for me, but at first back in 2015  I started playing as an Assistant followed by Cargo Technician and some Service jobs (basically following the guidelines for the new players because I am very responsible). After jumping from one service job to another I finally arrived to Engineering Department, where I eventually started maining Chief Engineer. Jumping from server to server I was mostly playing Engineering, while rarely trying other jobs.

When I arrived to Paradise somewhere in late 2017 I played Medical and Science for a short period of time until eventually moving to my main and beloved department - Security. At some point I started playing HoP a lot (while still maining Security Officer). Somewhere in 2018-2019 I tried Captain for the first time, spent a month playing IAA only, earned 30 karma playing only IAA and moved to Nanotrasen Representative. Once I got tired of NT Rep at around 2020, I returned to Security full time. Tried HoS for the first time. That was the time I sarted forming my character around jobs I prefer as a player. Of course I play all kinds of job sometimes and have even dedicated RP characters for different departments/jobs, but my main character and job preference stays as Security, with a little bit of Medbay(Brig Physitian(rip)/Paramedic) and Command(HoP/Captain/Blueshield). Tried AI somewhere in 2021 for the first time, didn't like it that much.

Preference tier list of jobs by McRamon:

S tier - Security Officer, Clown, Assistant.

A tier - HoP, Captain, Paramedic.

B tier - Blueshield, Detective, Janitor, Mime.

C tier - NT Rep, Station Engineer, Medical Doctor, Psychologist, Coroner, Scientist, QM, Cargo Technician, Cyborg.

D tier - HoS, CE, RD, CMO, Warden, Chemist, Roboticist, Shaft Miner, Explorer.

E tier - Atmos Tech, Geneticist, Chaplain, Librarian, AI.

F tier - Virologist, Chef, Bartender, Barber, Botanist, Ghost Roles.

Disregarding my first few rounds figuring out controls (2016ish), it was clown. Lots of clown. Then eventually I stepped from my shell and did Station Engineer. Lots of Station Engineer. Easily a year or two, if not more, of only that role with minor exceptions. However, I played it for the free gloves, tools, freedom from so much downtime, and to greytide security. Never for the actual job.

Eventually a lot of the old name players I knew started leaving (2019/20?), and I got bored without people to greytide with, and I started playing the bad guys, Security. I've never stopped. Unless you count Therapist for the sweet sweet legal meth.

Preference tier list by God Gamer Rurik:

S tier - Security Officer, HoS, Therapist, Clown.

A tier -

B tier -

C tier -

D tier -

E tier - Assistant, HoP, Captain, Paramedic, Blueshield, Detective, Janitor, Mime, NT Rep, Station Engineer, Medical Doctor, Coroner, QM, Cargo Technician, Cyborg, CE, RD, CMO, Warden, Chemist, Roboticist, Explorer, Atmos Tech, Geneticist, Chaplain, Librarian, AI, Virologist, Chef, Bartender, Barber, Botanist, Ghost Roles.

F tier - Shaft MinerScientist.

*cracks knuckles*
here we go
preference tier list by the GODDER GAMER (relative to rurik) Chazzer:
S tier - HOS (roundstart teleshield), CE (get to order supermatter crates and nobody can say no), atmos tech (just based), shaft miner (with KC, anything else is unbased)
A tier - Security officer (no roundstart teleshield)
B tier - warden (cool gloves but not many opportunities to frag antags with them), station engineer (like atmos tech but less based), blueshield (cool revolver, big drip)
C tier - Captain, HOP.
D tier - assistant (bridge hoboing 🤮), magistrate.
E tier - Paramedic, Janitor, Mime, NT Rep, Medical Doctor, Coroner, QM, Cargo Technician, RD, CMO, Chemist, Explorer, Chaplain, Librarian, Chef, Bartender, Barber, Ghost Roles (except ash walkers they are A tier).
F tier - botany (powergamers), shaft miners with KA (powergamers), scientists (powergamers), RD (powergamer), AI, borgs and robotics (I just hate silicons), genetics (powergamers), detective (they keep lethalling the antags I want to lethal), clown (cos rurik likes it), virologist (its fucking boring), IAA (they tell me off for lethalling antags)
Brig phys tier - Brig phys

Oh boy about time I did one of these things, my time on para has been somewhat limited (like 700 hours in 2021, not actually that much), but I have had experience with basically every job, one way or another. 

Jobs I play the most- RD (Hey, it's like the powergame patrol, nearly as painful as HOS on your mind, but less painful on your fingers) Cyborg module- Engineering/Service (Engineering borg is just a good time really, who needs that silly SOP and space law anyways! Service is a really damn fine RP role, and allows you to teach people in a very low stress environment.) Cargo tech (Really damn fine and relaxing role, playing small pranks on other people using shipping/mailing the captain a primed syndicate bomb.) Surgeon (Just like it, simple enjoyment) Roboticist (I actually like repairing IPCs and borgs, I'm weird, I know)

Jobs I've been meaning to play more- IAA (The purpose of being an IAA is to keep people from making mistakes and to be an IC mentor on SOP, I personally really enjoy this kind of role and the RP that comes out of it is really damn good) Chef/Bartender (My chef skills are really damn rusty, and I got an entire character for both of these roles, love cooking IRL and the RP that comes out of these are great!) Det (Det is a very fun role, with the *slight* problem that you get the funny gun, and that funny gun is your only real ranged option, so lots of dets take it as "Oh boy, today I will lethal!" and then not actually play det, I just wanna give a "Oh, and just one more thing" monologue) Secoff (I actually really have been meaning to play this role, dealing with space law and actually *respecting* the antag can be a good time, rather than getting a case of fuckin extended and just killing all the antags early on) HOP (Free greentext kekw) Librarian/barber (Assistent but different) Warden (Used to like it on other servers, probably will try it here) Blueshield/NTR (I mean, maybe?) Botany (I like plants ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) 

Jobs that aren't for me: Magi, CMO, HOS, Captain, Chaplain, Chemist, clown, atmos tech, engineer, HOS??? maybe??? Jani(It's like, fine)

Jobs I won't touch: Mime, QM, shaft miner (I've played enough of it, zening out and mining ores is fine and megafauna is just simply not fun), QM, CE, LSS, Genetics (A job entirely based around gamer gear so !FUN!), Viro.

fuck specifically viro

• 2 weeks later...

For me it was a journey through most departments and through uh... let me count... 4 characters?

I myself started with cargo on a different server. On para I started with human (can't remember the name) in Robotics.
Then I played scientist but only for a little bit. Then I swapped to my IPC Q.U.A.R.K.
Then chemist > medical doctor > paramedic. Had to give up my char bcs someone else was in my body at some point and was such a dick, that I didn't wanna be associated with QUARK anymore lmao. So I made M.A.N.T.I.S. (flagged by spark as Monst Annoying NanoTrasen Intelligence System :') )
Then I went went through playing security officer to engineering. Played both CE and Station Engineer.
And I stayed at engineering, at some point swapped characters to Xann Zxiax, my ant boio.

Would consider myself 'engineer main'. Damn I think I've been playing engineer before I took a break for like 1.5-2 years straight?

Now I wanna try new char and come back to Robotics and to Paramedic/Medical Doctor (and maybe some other chill jobs like botanist or bartender). I am so INSANELY rusty tho that I'm basically brand new medbay player

I find it extremely funny that I play 'bugs' now. When I was swapping my IPCs I was looking at the IPC skins, and found one that reminded me of mantises, so I made M.A.N.T.I.S. Then literally by pure chance (for laughs basically) unlocked Kidan back in the day when there were only 2 kida players except me (Vraz and one with pink eyes, can't remember the name). And I kept playing kidan bcs I liked the style (and loved the gameplay of sec officer without sec glasses). And now I'm playing moth person. I find it funny :')

On 2/14/2022 at 11:24 PM, ArcZelf said:

I've yet to learn Engineering and Atmospherics but I hope to some day. I don't think I'll ever be security gaming but, maybe in the near future.

Paradise Station is also the only server I've properly played besides Colonial Marines, and honestly I don't see me in the future changing servers at all.

If you need someone to help you out/teach you engineering, feel free to DM me on discord (or send msg on forums, works too). Could teach you this and that about engineering. I used to do that a lot.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use