Allow the new Nian Moth People to eat cloth, bedsheets, and clothing

RatNut

I think this would be a pretty fun change RP wise. If low on food in brig for example, one could just eat their bedsheets! Would be a funny niche unique quirk that I think would suit the new race very well.

not really a fan of this, would require a lot of snowflake code aswell as take away from the RP enviroment. Crew members shouldn't be eating clothes/bedsheets/etc. This is part of the reason why we heavily shy away from any light-related species mechanics for moths, the less of a meme the species is the better it is for the RP environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel like this wouldn't be much different from drask eating soap...which is definitely just used for memey purposes and doesn't invoke any semblance of RP when I think of it.

Honestly if you want to RP that your moth is eating cloth they don't actually need to be able to mechanically do it.

I regularly take a long drag from my cigarette even though its not programmed into the game. One of my characters is allergic to a specific kind of food despite it not being programmed in the game. My IPC is poorly built so regularly suffer from speech and movement malfunctions. Probably some other stuff I can't think of at the time. Just gotta RP it :P

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate the feedback guys! Yeah, I can definitely understand what you guys mean as far as just kinda being a memey mechanic. I always like to think of different dishes and food tastes of different species. For instance my Kidan very much prefers Diona Nymphs and will regularly use that fact in RP, especially when playing chef. Great tip on making a nice emote for it though! 

• Like 1

Could perhaps have a mechanic similar to drasks eating soap. Just .. nibbling on clothes that you have in your hand. I personally see no harm in it. And it adds something unique to the species. Personally I'm all for diversity and things like this. You could make it like you won't actually eat the whole piece of clothing, just .. nibble on it. Like drasks do on soap. 

As for light-related mechanics: I went to Engineering as a Nian to get a floodlight. But Engineering has no more floodlights these days. Sadface. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Landerlow said:

Could perhaps have a mechanic similar to drasks eating soap. Just .. nibbling on clothes that you have in your hand. I personally see no harm in it. And it adds something unique to the species. Personally I'm all for diversity and things like this. You could make it like you won't actually eat the whole piece of clothing, just .. nibble on it. Like drasks do on soap. 

As for light-related mechanics: I went to Engineering as a Nian to get a floodlight. But Engineering has no more floodlights these days. Sadface. 

I greatly like this approach. Code already exists for it that could be modified for clothing objs, which would be work but monumentally less work than fresh code, and removes the idea of Nians being a nuisance by actually matter-eater style consuming people's clothing.

The only remaining floodlight is in the chef's little farm patch, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't see why there is a problem with this concept at all. it is neat and an extra utility to moths.

Drask can eat soap, and there are constant memes about it. Vox like shinies.

These are memes that help define races. This isn't HRP where every aspect of a race has to be deathly serious (especially considering the very comedic way Centcom acts regularly to make a round more interesting, such as Steve BSA'ing Atmospherics because there was a purple man drawn in crayon on the floor once).

Edited by Arkhip0v
Phraseology correction

On 2/4/2022 at 8:39 PM, Sonador said:

Code already exists for it that could be modified for clothing objs

If I'm remembering correctly, the code for eating soap is rather snowflake. 

Also the difference for be between nian and drasks here is that drasks are their own unique thing with law behind why they like soap

Nian arent, and shouldn't be, just moths but bigger and with hands. I haven't been playing recently but i hope people haven't been calling them moths in character, because they aren't moths. They are a species based on moths.

Edited by Charliminator

3 hours ago, Charliminator said:

If I'm remembering correctly, the code for eating soap is rather snowflake. 

Also the difference for be between nian and drasks here is that drasks are their own unique thing with law behind why they like soap

Nian arent, and shouldn't be, just moths but bigger and with hands. I haven't been playing recently but i hope people haven't been calling them moths in character, because they aren't moths. They are a species based on moths.

The only reason they have no lore is that there seems to be some hellbent desire to avoid 'memes' relating to their race. Meanwhile Vox talk like children.

51 minutes ago, Charliminator said:

Moths have more lore than most species

You know what I mean - this is just semantics, I'm talking about "no lore with relation to the topic we are speaking about". I know they have lore because I've read the hackmd post myself as I play one now and then

Edited by Arkhip0v
Elaboration

5 hours ago, Arkhip0v said:

I'm talking about "no lore with relation to the topic we are speaking about".

That's because initially this being a meme race was one of the biggest things standing in the way of them being merged. So memes like this don't help the race at all. 

8 hours ago, Arkhip0v said:

The only reason they have no lore is that there seems to be some hellbent desire to avoid 'memes' relating to their race. Meanwhile Vox talk like children.

Clarification, vox are not required to speak broken galactic common, many simply choose to

23 hours ago, Arkhip0v said:

I really don't see why there is a problem with this concept at all. it is neat and an extra utility to moths.

Drask can eat soap, and there are constant memes about it. Vox like shinies.

These are memes that help define races. This isn't HRP where every aspect of a race has to be deathly serious (especially considering the very comedic way Centcom acts regularly to make a round more interesting, such as Steve BSA'ing Atmospherics because there was a purple man drawn in crayon on the floor once).

An item like soap is somewhat difficult to get and isn't used by everyone, it's kind of rare to see alot of drasks with soap at once, and due to the fact that it's generally limited people don't, you know, meme the fuck out of it near constantly and base an entire character on that. In the case of clothing, everyone needs it, everyone has access to it, and it's *much more* than one single item, not to mention coding wise this will literally never happen because of how snowflakey it would need to be. 

PS: Defending controversial ideas through "but vox has it" is a horrible idea, and I don't think I need to explain why.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use