Arachnophobia mode?

LiberatedWaveMan

Right, so, it's a long-shot, but it's worth consideration and food for thought; ever play terror spiders and feel mildly uncomfortable? Maybe you aren't a big fan of spiders, even if it's in the 2D funny space game. SO, what if there was an arachnophobia preference that could make them display as an alternative animal, one that isn't commonly feared? I'm not sure to what extent it's possible, but it's worth thinking about.

1 hour ago, gangelwaefre said:

This was attempted previously - pretty much word for word - and denied, see this PR

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/15293

Such I have heard, and I want to bring it into public discussion again.

I personally wouldn't care if this option was added but I feel like doing this for one particular phobia would be strange when there's plenty of other phobias out there that people could have.

Edited by Rythen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LiberatedWaveMan said:

I want to bring it into public discussion again

What more is there to discuss? I feel like the maintainer comments were fairly all encompassing.

18 hours ago, Rythen said:

I personally wouldn't care if this option was added but I feel like doing this for one particular phobia would be strange when there's plenty of other phobias out there that people could have.

That's fair, but arachnophobia is by far one of the most common phobias

Posting on behalf of fox

Fox states: This was discussed before, and thoroughly buried. We're not going to be implementing something like this. It's not worth the effort time, or resources, nor are we opening the floodgates for every idiosyncratic customization of what may HYPOTHETICALLY bother players. After all, there's more fears than just arachnophobia.

• 2 weeks later...

my only comment on this its sad that people treat phobia affected people like they do, even here, using terms like idiosyncratic.

Edited by procdrone
wrong word
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, procdrone said:

my only comment on this its sad that people treat phobia affected people like they do, even here, using terms like idiosyncratic.

Agreed; I get that there's concerns regarding the whole thing, but sometimes it feels rather.. patronizing 

• 4 weeks later...

terror spiders don't scare me but i must admit i get why others wouldn't like them. i used to wish WoW had a method of

and it's rather obvious that atleast some of the people that have raised this proposal in the past, or here, possess a distaste for spiders. i don't see what the problem is in changing it.

as liberated says it's super patronising (even via proxy) in the comments of the PR and everywhere else to say "oh, we're actually helping you with it by exposing you to it"

i also don't understand how it sets a precedent, because atleast as far as i'm aware (and i could be wrong) no one has generally requested censor options for other features. maximising accessibility is pretty cool, actually!

it's also sad how super forceful people are about shutting down an idea they disagree with that doesn't actually harm the integrity of the game

i feel like it would be a lot more possible if there was someone willing to do the sprites; sprite-states; and stuff. you'd have to have a different sized insect of some sort.

there was an initiative like that on Git already, it was shot down because it would be "hard/problematic to maintain", even if there was a coder willing to create and maintain it.

Its just that leadership dont want it because they dont feel we need it. Its sad, but I dont blame them, i would propably deny it too in their shoes.

59 minutes ago, procdrone said:

even if there was a coder willing to create and maintain it.

Coders dont stay around forever. That's the issue with this. Eventually the work will be someone else's

7 hours ago, Charliminator said:

Coders dont stay around forever. That's the issue with this. Eventually the work will be someone else's

you can literally say that about any PR created on the git to be honest, should we stop making feature PRs?

Its simply not a big argument for me.

12 hours ago, procdrone said:

you can literally say that about any PR created on the git

You can, and we do. This is genuinely a consideration for every single change, is this sustainable? Can it be maintained? Cos we have a group of people who have to do that, they aren't called maints for nothing.

Of course it isn't. Because you don't contribute to the git. You aren't the one doing the maintaining.

you can literally say that about any PR created on the git to be honest, should we stop making feature PRs?

There’s a difference between a feature that’s put in once and not needing to be touched, and one like this (which relies heavily on sprite alteration code at runtime) which needs to be tweaked every time we get a new style of spider.

Given how your reputation on the git is that of 👎 any criticism thrown towards your POV, as well as the fact you aren’t the one who has to deal with making sure code still works when stuff gets changed around or new things are added.

To quote you, “it’s simply not a big argument for me”

I’m locking this before it turns into an even bigger argument than it already is.

Heads of Staff and other maintainers may unlock it if they do so desire.