Archeage

Bone White

Archeage: Open Beta begins on September 4th. Head-Start begins on September 12th. ArcheAge Launches on September 16th.

There will be a total wipe from beta to pre-release.

Whilst I'm excited about playing this I am not buying into the head start or pre-purchase packages, they just aren't worth it in my opinion.

I was wondering who else will be playing? Unusually for me I don't have a group of friends to join, so I'm quite free. I had great fun during the last closed beta with a Battlerage / Witchcraft / Shadowplay build.

To clear up some presumptions people are having about archeage?

Is it pay to win?

No, pay to get cosmetic items and convenience items (which can be made traded/ingame anyway), subscribe to be able to own a plot of land for a house or farm, and farm crafting materials / insignificant monetary/xp pouches more often (known as labour points).

Class restrictions?

Each of the 10 classes (of which you can equip three at a time) require levelling up seperately, but you can swap them over for a small fee, which is 2 x level in silver. At level 30 this was ~ 10% of my total wealth from questing for swapping all three.

Race/interaction restrictions?

There will be three factions (two currently, not sure if the third is coming out in release). Each faction has two races. Each faction starts on it's own continent and shares a language with other races. To communicate with opposing factions you must learn their language, later in the game. Races from the same faction crossover naturally at level 10, I am unsure as to the level when you start crossing continents but I suspect it's level 30 or higher.

Focus?

There is a huge focus in archeage on large scale guild based pvp. Guilds can buy huge plots of land, build castles, then rent/lease the plots of land for their members, which can then be assaulted by other guilds. Player structures exist in the world permanently as part of the scenery, which is an interesting take. Yes this game is a western adaptation of a korean mmorpg, but by being "westernised" it's far less grindy, and far more fun.

Combat

A standard tab-targeting mmorpg, which uses a very fun system of combos. Most skills have additional requirements when met give added effects, for example:

• Deal 100 damage, if the target is slowed, stun for three seconds.

• Slow enemies around you

Strike a stunned opponent for extra damage, increasing your critical chance to 60% if you are beihnd your target

By casting slow from the second skill, you could combo the first skill to stun, then run behind them to combo the third skill for lots of extra damage. Because the classes are not set, there's lots of room for combinations. Having an assassin/healer with a shield is more viable than you might think.

Summary:

It's not pay to win, it's pay for cosmetics, land ownership and faster farming for crafting. You can enjoy all aspects of the game with a single character. Combat combos are a refreshing experience, and the content is kept challenging enough to punish you if you don't chain your combos together.

I found the lore quite interesting actually, but I did play four different races to level 20, so I got a view of the history through inherited memories. It was only after this I realised the main splash art for the game is actually the 12 people of the expedition who found the source of all magic, who became legendary heroes or gods.

I found the lore quite interesting actually, but I did play four different races to level 20, so I got a view of the history through inherited memories. It was only after this I realised the main splash art for the game is actually the 12 people of the expedition who found the source of all magic, who became legendary heroes or gods.

That's why the lore doesn't appeal to me very much, it's such a common thing in games/stories that it's over-exhausted itself. Ooh, heroes that found this or defeated that, now they're gods and idols!

does it have a creepy child race in skimpy clothing because if so, ehhhhhh

I guess the Harani could somewhat fall under that but it's more of just a very thin and feminine race than a pedophiles dream.

8600d77519.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Was really tempted to dish out 150 quid for the archeum but in the end held my wallet back and told myself no. Got into all the closed beta events but now my PC is out of action for at least another month so the game's started without me :'(

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use