Jump to content

rename implants to something else


procdrone
 Share

Recommended Posts

topic raised on discord, which i find quite valid.

currently, we have two types of implants, the "rnd" implants installed and removed through internal organ manipulations, and "syringe" implants, installed through injecting and removed through implant removal surgery.

Having two quite different things named practically the same - implant, creates some confusion on how to deal with them for many.

My suggestion is simply to rename one or the other, and give it another name. some suggestions like RND implants being renamed to augments, or syringe implants being renamed to chips was sounded over at discord.

Feel free to propose your own

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed that this causes confusion because there's two completely different types of implants that are mechanically pretty different.

I personally really like the idea of RND implants to be called augments because that's moreso what they feel like than implants.  When you get a toolset put into your arm, that's not just some small implant you are doing, that's augmenting your arm to have a bunch of tools inside.  Same with augmenting your eyes and such.

The ones done via injector make sense as just being called "implant" since they are generally just something that could actually be done via a syringe.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rythen said:

I personally really like the idea of RND implants to be called augments because that's moreso what they feel like than implants.  When you get a toolset put into your arm, that's not just some small implant you are doing, that's augmenting your arm to have a bunch of tools inside.  Same with augmenting your eyes and such.

If the goal is to attempt to avoid confusion by having two different things named the same, it's probably best to avoid calling these augments. Augmentation is already a thing that can be done by robotics, wherein robot body parts are used to augment an organic humanoid. Especially considering the nature of implants and how robotics can sometimes be handling them, I would forsee players asking for "Augmentation" resulting in confusion between the present augmentation and RnD augments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We already have augmentation so that'd be confusing too. I'd say Sean's idea of calling implanter implants chips (like y'know the thing they clearly are) is the best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm fish and adrenal chips

If you call them chips, what is the implanter called? A chipper? (Implanter would still work)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Charliminator said:

Hmm fish and adrenal chips

If you call them chips, what is the implanter called? A chipper? (Implanter would still work)

bri'ish syndicate agents be like mindslave crisp

  • dead 2
  • bap 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Coolrune206 said:

If the goal is to attempt to avoid confusion by having two different things named the same, it's probably best to avoid calling these augments. Augmentation is already a thing that can be done by robotics, wherein robot body parts are used to augment an organic humanoid. Especially considering the nature of implants and how robotics can sometimes be handling them, I would forsee players asking for "Augmentation" resulting in confusion between the present augmentation and RnD augments.

one could argue it be Limb augmentation versus Organ augmentation, but I am not committed to defending that particular idea as it was a passing thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 11:42 AM, Rythen said:

Just go full Cyberpunk 2077 and call it Cyberware.

Even though this sounds pretty silly I actually like this. Cyberware on its own just sounds like something that needs to be installed manually. Random person approved 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, how about the name cybernetic implants, it sounds much less out of place then cyberware and differentiates them from regular implants. You could also just call them cybernetics to fully avoid confusion but i think cybernetic implant is clear enough.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2021 at 2:02 AM, Woje said:

We already have augmentation so that'd be confusing too. I'd say Sean's idea of calling implanter implants chips (like y'know the thing they clearly are) is the best.

+1; bio-implant chips, compensator chips, or bio-chips (and I don't mean the one in bio-labs) have kinda already been an established term for small chip-like implant that provide various functionality. Bio-chip sounds like a good choice to me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, EmilitiaEnnehrt said:

Bio-chip sounds like a good choice to me. 

I like this one the most so far. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, necaladun said:

I like this one the most so far. 

would you rename the implanter item to bio-chip implanter? or leave that be? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Charliminator said:

would you rename the implanter item to bio-chip implanter? or leave that be? 

In my opinion that's just more clear though not really necessary since noone's gonna try stuffing CNS in a lil syringe... The description on it might need alteration though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

May as well rename it while we're at it.

Bio-Chip inserter? Hmm. Feels off. Bio-Modification Device? No. Uhm.

Suggestions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, necaladun said:

May as well rename it while we're at it.

Bio-Chip inserter? Hmm. Feels off. Bio-Modification Device? No. Uhm.

Suggestions?

In real life subdermal implants are implanted with the use of a dermal punch, which is a thingy that removes a disk of skin, a trocar, which is sort of a hollow needle or blade that you can insert through, like for laparoscopic surgery, or a syringe... In SS13 it seems to be the latter.

Bio-chip injector perhaps?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Woje said:

Bio-chip injector perhaps?

This keeps it simple while getting rid of the word "implant" 

+1 for bio-chip and injector

EDIT: we would have to go through the list of what are currently implants that are to become bio-chips and rename them. i.e. storage implant renamed to storage chip...which sort of sounds ridiculous that a chip could be used to store objects much larger than it but it actually works in this universe with a bluespace storage devices...makes it more techie. Am I the only one who imagined a storage implant to be like a freaking box inside of someone's body? I'm rambling...

Edited by ZN23X
NAMES...
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

This keeps it simple while getting rid of the word "implant" 

+1 for bio-chip and injector

EDIT: we would have to go through the list of what are currently implants that are to become bio-chips and rename them. i.e. storage implant renamed to storage chip...which sort of sounds ridiculous that a chip could be used to store objects much larger than it but it actually works in this universe with a bluespace storage devices...makes it more techie. Am I the only one who imagined a storage implant to be like a freaking box inside of someone's body? I'm rambling...

The storage implant makes like, a bluespace pocket I believe. I think that's what it says in the flavor text noone ever sees because you get it by putting the chip into an implant console (like in the brig), which will never feasibly happen for a Syndicate implant unless someone already knows about it. Coooould check that in the code to make sure? But I *think* I am correct.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started some work on this, I went with calling them a bio-chip implanter. mostly because their icon_state is implanter0 and implanter1 and also type paths and such. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MisterMan said:

that sounds disgusting 

Wetware/cyberware. This is the basic dichotomy that's been around since the 80s. It is the staple definition of cyberspace/cyberpunk genres. The only real deviation from this is Shadowrun which uses the term "bioware," but this is specific to vat-grown and genetically enhanced organs.

You don't like it, you can take it up w/ Bruce Sterling or just about any other foundational writer in this genre. I have literally nothing to do with any of these definitions.

Edited by Shadeykins
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 1:42 PM, Shadeykins said:

Shadowrun which uses the term "bioware,"

In a few settings I've seen that's the 'official' term, but on the street it's wet-ware, just like cybernetics are called 'chrome'.

 

Bio-Chip Injector I like. No risk at all of it being confused with anything else. Assuming nothing better in the next few days I'll go with that.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did put some work into this, but with the feature freeze, I think I am gonna shelf it until thats over with. I don't wanna bother maintainers when there is definitely gonna be like 1 case that I miss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use