Sign Language as a Secondary Language

LiberatedWaveMan

Pretty straightforward here: Sign language would be pretty cool for deaf, mute, or otherwise unable to talk/hear characters. That being said, sign language as a secondary language (and available to any species) would need some code fuckery since it would have to check for line of sight rather than actual ability to hear

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This would be super, super cool. Coding it as a language is a great idea, but it would need to (as you said) check for line of sight, check that you have at least one free hand, and couldn't go over comms.

We already have stuff that checks for whether you can see it, and we already have a language that requires hands free. This could probably be done. 

• Like 1

As far as i know, we have most stuff needed for it in the code already. The problem is more how it ends up. Most stuff that would mute or deafen someone won't do it for sign language. Got flashbanged and deafened due to it? Still can talk in sign language to someone. Having problems breathing, and such can only gasps? Keep signing on. Want to talk to someone in space through a window without other people hearing it on the radio? Just use sign language, instead of attempting to mime what's needed.
Having (a) sign language(s) may be flavourful, but mechanically, it's just a straight upgrade to have it, especially compared to the other secondary languages. If you can talk to someone in tradeband, you can also talk to that someone in common. There is no real advantage to have one secondary language over another, or even have one at all, but sign language would break that.

There is an old attempt at it, which was closed for this problem and seems some other: https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/8299
If all issues brought up there can be addressed and fixed, or think the problems aren't problems anymore, could give it a try, but I'm not confident in it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like sign language could very easily become a "powergame" language that everyone picks if it were added.  If it were to give you the ability to communicate in situations where you normally can't talk or hear people it just seems like something everyone would start taking so they can get around that limitation.

Concerning this idea, I've scrapped it entirely for the time being; unless some blessed idea of balance comes to me then this will definitely be a powergame language. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use