add an advanced rule for not spamming 50000 mobs

Charliminator

Xenobiologists have a tendency to spam a shit ton of mobs that tank the servers performance. 

People also spam corgi's using experimentor toys and monkeys and fire extinguishers

I feel like there should be a rule forbidding this type of behaviour as it literally grinds the station to a halt. I know of an admin who literally has a SDQL2 script to deal with this bullshit by killing all the mobs in xenobio. 

TLDR; tanking performance using masses of mobs should have an advanced rule forbidding it.

• Like 6

Might also want to add something about glowmushrooms in too.   It is my understanding that the constant propagation is hard on the server, causing a similar issue when botanists go crazy with shroom planting.

However, I think it is important to recognize that most people who do this are completely unaware of the consequences and not acting in an intentionally malicious manner, so punishing them for breaking a server rule too harsh.   Raising awareness of the issue would go a long way toward preventing future issues, which could be accomplished with warnings, even if this is not added to the official ruleset.  Or figuring out a way to stop this from happening using code changes or adding an automated warning when the number of mobs are taxing the servers too much that prevents further spawns.  

If a rule is added against spamming critters, it would help to know how many xeno creatures are too many -  10, 20, 50, 100?  Does this limit count slimes or non-xeno mobs that are elsewhere on the map, like Lavaland?   Can you make more mobs if you kill the un-needed or undesirable mobs?   Should a maximum number of mobs be added as part of Xenobiology's SoP for "safety reasons" to provide context for the game limitations and raise awareness of this issue? 

Not everyone reads advanced rules or understands the effect that massive mobs spawns have on server performance so providing this info on the wiki would be another option to raise general awareness of the issue.

Either a rule or straight up code a limit. Like holy shit I've actually seen the server grind to a halt because of someone doing this. I can't imagine what the benefit of allowing this to happen is.

Orbital Nuclear Deletion of mobs/shrooms/etc shall continue until morale (and performance) improves.

Jokes aside, a hard cap on either would be nice. Spam is bad, and 100 xenomobs isnt useful for literally anyone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MattTheFicus said:

Jokes aside, a hard cap on either would be nice. Spam is bad, and 100 xenomobs isnt useful for literally anyone.

Would the hard cap on xenomobs include corpses?  Like if someone is creating xenomobs to try and get some specific ones and are killing the ones they don't want, is that sufficient?  Or do corpses of the xenomobs also impact performance just as much?

Perhaps if corpses are still a problem there could be a xenomob corpse grinder or something for getting rid of ones you didn't want?

EDIT:
Also Xenomob Corpse Grinder™ is now the name of my new death metal band.

Edited by Rythen

Also, does anyone know if the problem is purely a numbers issue or does timing also factor into creating the slowdown?

I mean does the server bog down if you activate a bunch of gold extract in the same tick,because it has to spawn so many mobs at the same moment in time?   Would it be able to handle the spawns if they were more spaced out in time or in space?  

I was assuming this problem is mostly caused by gold slime spawns, but does it also happen when xenobiology produces tons and tons of normal slimes?

2 minutes ago, destinycall said:

I was assuming this problem is mostly caused by gold slime spawns, but does it also happen when xenobiology produces tons and tons of normal slimes?

Yeah it can.  When mobs exist the server has to update their status every tick or whatever so for each mob that exists it has to do extra work.  The number of mobs by itself even if the spawning was spread out is still a problem.

• Like 1

In the past 24 hours alone I've had to make two server announcements and delete a load of lag-inducing mobs.

Please make this either impossible to do, or specifically disallowed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2021 at 3:55 PM, Charliminator said:

TLDR; tanking performance using masses of mobs should have an advanced rule forbidding it.

This should fall under common sense.

13 hours ago, Vallidian said:

This should fall under common sense.

Having it as a proper rule means that people can't be like "oh i didn't know it was an issue" when they get bwoinked about it. 

Many people don't understand that 1000 monkeys tanks the server. And that's fine, but if it's in the rules that excuse really doesn't fly.

• 2 months later...

i think xenobiologists should also have a rule against spamming those fucking pings.

irritating

.especially when, say, there's a blob on, and like 5 things get pinged all at once. no one wants to be a watcher to fight a blob. if we're entirely honest, and it's not just me, because these pings get ignored during crises 99% of the time, they're hoping for ERT or naut.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use