A new form for the Chaplain Null Rod based off Asclepius

Raydon1206

As the title says, I'd like to make a suggestion for a null rod form based off Asclepius. I'm thinking maybe a Serpent of Asclepius that takes up your arm slot (much like the rod does and other null rod items like chainsaw) and works similarly to prayer beads. However instead of being anti-cult and anti-vampire, they instead work like prayer beads with 100% heal chance and 10 second use.  While it doesn't enforce pacifism, it does not function as a weapon. It does still remove cult runes and such like a normal null rod would. My final suggestion is that if you have this Serpent of Asclepius you can use it on a Rod of Asclepius, performing the oath the Rod would have you normally do and combining the items together, essentially letting you have the rod of Asclepius function as itself and the Serpent of Asclepius. Maybe call it the Twin Serpent Rod of Asclepius. I am worried this might be a bit unabalanceing so thoughts are appreciated.

• Like 1

Anything to do with Asclepius should have enforced pacifism IMO.

That being said, and instant-heal is kinda nuts and EXTREMELY hard to balance around, so I doubt that would survive the approval process.

• Like 2

Ah no the heal wouldn't be instant, it would work a lot like the Prayer Beads, where they have to sit there and channel for 10-15 seconds. Just instead of deconverting and having a 33% chance to heal, it always heals at the cost of not deconverting.

• Like 1

I could see it being fun from a roleplay perspective to have people come to your chapel to be healed by the will of [your deity] and basically bless them and say "My child, you are healed!"

However, I'm also concerned with it just ending up as a powergame item to go around and heal people rather than actually be a chaplain.

• Like 1

I could see that being an issue, thats why I suggested it have a long channel time. It would really only be useful for minor injuries. Like 10-15 sec for prayer bead healing is not gunna do much for major damage, not to mention requiring you to stand totally still. The pacifism idea is neat, as someone who likes to play a Chaplain of Asclepius.

Edited by Raydon1206
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 9:16 PM, Rythen said:

However, I'm also concerned with it just ending up as a powergame item to go around and heal people rather than actually be a chaplain.

maybe by limiting its effects to only work in chapel? Like Chef has CQC in kitchen?

Edited by procdrone
exposing my point better
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, procdrone said:

maybe by limiting its effects to only work in chapel? Like Chef has CQC in kitchen?

I really like this idea.   Not only does it serve as a good balance to a powerful healing artifact, it also encourages the Chaplain to stick to his intended workspace, instead of wandering the station to deal out random heals or hanging out in medbay, stealing work from the doctors.

I don't have a problem with a healing chaplain, but I want him to be chaplain first, healer second.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could have as a pre-requisite that the person needs to have been blessed by you prior in the shift, so either you have to go through a full blessing + healing cast, or you would've had to have gone to visit the chaplain earlier for his benediction so that they can heal you through faith faster.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use