Move CQC back to Nukies (and bundle) only

Coolrune206

CQC was re-added to the Traitor Uplink in this PR: https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/14474

Since then, it's seen its fair share of nerfs (unable to be discounted, unable to use as Vampire/Changeling).

However, I don't think I'm alone in the belief that it is still an overwhelmingly strong purchase, and generally completely un-fun to play against. Is it rather fun to use? Of course, it's overpowered so it's rather fun. However, I cannot think of anything fun about being on the receiving end of many of the things CQC does. Putting aside the legsweep into an instant sleep, the instant grab sleep is also ridiculously strong, as well as all the other things CQC does. The most important thing about it, however, is that it's not an item - Sec can't detect it upon searching someone, and it can't be confiscated or disarmed in a fight. If sec does manage to catch the CQC user and perma them, they cannot remove the martial arts from them while they're in perma.

CQC is balanced - for nukies, and it popping up in bundles is (generally) rare enough to make it not as much of a problem as it is now.

As it stands, with certain traitors buying it every round and becoming near-unstoppable thanks to it, I would not say that CQC on traitors is a thing that benefits the general fun of most rounds, and think it should be restricted to nukies and the Bond bundle as a result.

And hey - Sleeping Carp has been reworked to actually be both good (while not overpowered) and affordable, meaning it can honestly replace CQC as a martial arts choice for traitors.

Now I wait for @Charliminator to tell me "it's a skill issue"

• Like 6

It's true. CQC has two different instant win moves which don't even allow the victim to call for help. This is clearly for stealth nukie shenanigans but when given to crew it's just OP as hell. These two combos are in fact so powerful that the other CQC combos see absolutely no use, and most CQC users couldn't even tell you what they are or how to perform them.

• Like 2

CQC was fine when it was just bundles, or even the brief period where it was a chef exclusive item. It's too strong for every traitor in the game to buy whenever they want even with the discount removal, as any player who knows the two sleep combos can (as mentioned above) curbstomp anyone in melee combat without them even being able to call for help. The carp-fu combos stun rather than sleep and even the sleepy pen gives a fair window for the victim to realize they've been injected and can only be used twice, so this infinite-use near instant sleep item that can't be disarmed just doesn't fit very well at all for standard traitor loadouts.

• Like 3

I agree with this sentiment. It can be fun to use and it can be fun to watch, but for sweat lords, the abuse potential is high.

Everyone and their mother also buys freedom implant alongside CQC, which sec has to pretend like they dont expect it, typically giving not only a second chance but a free kill on the officer carrying the CQC user to processing. CQC is the only purchase (afaik) that lets you near guarantee what their next purchase is. Pretending that the CQC user isn't about to slip off cuffs mid transit is akin to pretending xenos aren't planetside in CM.

A fix for CQC would be changing every combo that results in sleep to result in a heavy stun instead. It would keep the insane power but wouldn't be as boring, since victims/sec will still be able to relay your position and status instead of dying silently. That is a good compromise, should people want CQC to stay in the uplink. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheYeetster said:

I would lament the removal of it, I have had great RP experiences being the "Rage Cage Champion" using CQC as a traitor, and I wouldn't want to strip that experience from anyone.

Gimmicks are funny once.

• Like 1

I am a massive CQC apologist. Though I say this as someone who also knows that if we wanted to balance it, it REALLY needs to be looked at or just slapped completely.

Chatted about it a tad today and perhaps it needs its power knocked down a bit. I really truly don't think the sleep COMBO is bad, but the insta-sleep on downed people is. Perhaps remove that portion of it and return it to the MGS-style combo house its supposed to be? Because frankly melee combat is rare as hell, and honestly, you shouldnt in any way shape or form win 1v1 versus it considering its 13TC. Its when you can rest-harm into a LONG sleep against multiple targets is when it gets silly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use