TG Sprites

Coolrune206

Look, I've seen the announcement in development news stating that we would be "updating" our sprite-set to TG, so I've known this was coming for a long time. However, I also happen to know that my opinion is not alone in preferring the present sprites over the TG sprites. So I'd really like to know what's the cause of this shift in sprite direction to the 3/4's perspective - and what the opinion of other community members is.

Because I gotta be honest:

Some

image.png.831b8d4b522220c303f28855c69a2180.png

of

image.png.68f4c10ba32a5dcc6fa9ecb3056762b0.png

these

image.png.8e33f89d56ef0144de845eb44d42f0ee.png

sprites

image.png.78a945e5fe58b3f409cc7ba47ef83e00.png

are

image.png.7c3e6b5524d6230c90a704f4538a4118.png

questionable.

image.png.0e3a5fec8ab23021497b2b04aee2289b.png

Some of our old isometric-y sprites seemed to fit these a lot better. But maybe it's just me.

image.png.f2c4a5af86c5043311eaefdbefdcf296.png

• Like 8
  • toolbox 1

I second this question. Don't really know why changing to tg sprites is a priority when—while still good sprites—they aren't necessarily an upgrade. In many ways they look quite strange, and the sprites we have currently are fine. The real question I have is just—why?

• Like 5

Maybe excessive playing has clouded my judge the past 8 years but man these sprites suck major time for our art style. Everything is out of place, super awkwardly 2.5d(worse so than our old sprites), and all the size immersions are just completely in wack.

• Like 1

New sprites will always feel odd and out of place when newly implemented - but in a month nobody will notice anymore. Remember the old toolbox ? I don't.

Besides when everything'll be done, it'll be much more natural - and quite a few of those new sprites look really awesome, Imo !

My only gripe is the sprites that are the straight downgrades from what we had - the recharger for example, which now feel even more 2d than the nice perspective'd one that we had, and that's a shame.

• Like 5

These sprites will be much better once @McRamon finishes the 3/4 walls and doors he's been working on.

Also a lot of this is you not being used to it. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Coolrune206 said:

Some of our old isometric-y sprites seemed to fit these a lot better. But maybe it's just me.

The problem here is isometric view and 3/4ths view are totally incompatible. When you have both one is gonna look really strange. With 3/4ths you shouldn't see sides of things head on, and sideways are handled by additional direction sprites. Since we are moving to 3/4ths perspective, we can't use our old isometric sprites. And good luck getting someone to re-sprite everything with para-unique sprites.

Taking TG sprites is the most efficient and logical approach to switching to 3/4ths.

• Like 1

I played for a bit on other servers with this sprite set. For me it's not really a matter of adjustment; I'm just not a fan of them to begin with. I don't really see why we have to change our sprites, they really looked fine as is.

Edited by Spacemanspark
  • Like 3
  • fastparrot 1

3 hours ago, S34N said:

The problem here is isometric view and 3/4ths view are totally incompatible.

Just trying to understand all of this graphic nerd stuff. 

I don't think I'm understanding the distinction here.  When I look up examples of isometric graphics and examples of 3/4s graphics (which seems to be synonymous with 2.5d according to wikipedia) they look the same to me.  Are we using the terms in a different way or something?

Is there a post that describes the reasoning on updating all of our sprites to 3/4 rather than keeping the style we already have?

EDIT:

For anyone who was confused like me I think this shows it better and I think I understand now:

https://opengameart.org/content/chapter-3-perspectives

Edited by Rythen

26 minutes ago, Rythen said:

Is there a post that describes the reasoning on updating all of our sprites to 3/4 rather than keeping the style we already have?

The issue is that we do not have a style. Some of our machines are 3/4, some are isometric, a lot of them are flat, low quality codersprites. Not to mention many of them are ported from different servers with different art directions. The idea is that by swapping to a consistent artstyle - any artstyle - we can unify our art direction, and potentially adjust it to our liking later.

• 7 months later...

Yeah I definitely feel that, while there are some mechanics and other things we should port from TG, we really don't need to use TG's art style. 

• dead 1

5 hours ago, dafrek said:

Yeah I definitely feel that, while there are some mechanics and other things we should port from TG, we really don't need to use TG's art style. 

We do if we want to continue to be able to port things and keep the aesthetic consistent. The donksoft vendor on the syndicate lavaland base had the new art style while nothing else around it did, and it looked super out of place. 

Also please avoid necro posting on threads that havnt been replied to in 7 months, especially if it’s just a “+1” style post.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use