Unofficial Lore Thread

Unofficial Lore and Headcanon Thread

This thread is for the community to share and discuss Paradise Station's Space Station 13 lore, headcanon, and other community-made legends (including stories, encyclopedias, and more). All lore posts will be linked to the original post (this message) for easier and more organized viewing. The purpose of this thread is for the community to share each other's materials and take inspiration from others to craft their better-written characters for a higher quality of roleplay and immersion. #Unofficial Lore Thread is also a discord thread under #spacestation_13, join the conversation there!

Universe Lore

https://www.paradisestation.org/forum/topic/21432-unofficial-lore-thread/?do=findComment&comment=159844  Cyberiad (& Tajaran)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zUxgIDzY-YrqxlQFwur1rAGgzSRTemC87CWpzoX7XjM/edit Jäger Heavy Industries

Species

https://www.paradisestation.org/forum/topic/21432-unofficial-lore-thread/?do=findComment&comment=159806 Vox Arks

https://www.paradisestation.org/forum/topic/21432-unofficial-lore-thread/?do=findComment&comment=159843  Vulpkanin (& Cyberiad)

https://www.paradisestation.org/forum/topic/21432-unofficial-lore-thread/?do=findComment&comment=159829  Vampires & Their Soul

https://www.paradisestation.org/forum/topic/21432-unofficial-lore-thread/?do=findComment&comment=159842  Cabal Vampires

https://www.paradisestation.org/forum/topic/21432-unofficial-lore-thread/?do=findComment&comment=159820 Abductor

Miscellaneous

https://www.paradisestation.org/forum/topic/21432-unofficial-lore-thread/?tab=comments#comment-159796 Species, Factions, (& Misc)

Be respectful to each other; enjoy literary work, story writing; and have fun!

Edited by EmilitiaEnnehrt
  • Like 8
  • fastparrot 4

I wanted to write/share a few of my own headcanons, hopefully they don't directly go against canon aha. Though they're all kinda small things, so. I took a bit to write these down cause I have quite a few, and some aren't 100% mine I think (or I got the idea from a convo) so I'll tag appropriately

(Sorry if something doesn't make sense, I'll probably make edits later when I'm not about to pass out)

• Because Vulps have big families and Tajara are very community-oriented, the two species throw really good parties. (came up with @JackoMallows)
    • Vulps are known for having really loud, extravagant parties, while Tajara are more known for elegant and fancy ones. These are both stereotypes.
    • Tajara parties are ESPECIALLY important to their culture.
  • Vox display affection by holding tails or bumping beaks. (also came up with this while talking to @SlimeBird)
  • Tajara are stereotypically a little snobby when it comes to appearance, which came about during their artistic renaissance. They are literally pretty kitties.
    • Tajara have big beauty pageants and fashion shows to show off their fur coats or fashions.
  • Tajara musicals are very popular across the galaxy.
  • Tajaran kittens are sometimes given claw caps when misbehaving, though they've also become a fashion statement.
  • USSP planets/colonies/stations/ect being "cheap & poorly ran" is mostly SolGov propaganda. While it's not entirely false - there are plenty that are - more and more planets have become autonomous zones. These planets still group themselves with the USSP, but are 100% self-ran and are the result of the USSP not being a very strong government force.
  • There are a few groups scattered across the galaxy dedicated to helping victims of The Syndicate, and some who try to fight The Syndicate directly (though are unfortunately unsuccessful)
    • Similarly, however, there are also groups who pretend to help victims. The Syndicate themselves have had people fake these groups to lure more people in.
  • "Syndicate Scams" aren't uncommon, but aren't easy to find either. People actively seeking The Syndicate out are more likely to get scammed.
  • Modern medicine has made people more accident-prone since many figure they can be fixed easier than they could hundreds of years ago.

This is all I can remember from the top of my head, but I know I probably have more I'm forgetting ^^

• Like 9

I dont have many head canons, but a couple of big ones ive always had in regards to Vox:

• There are only 20 KNOWN arkships in existance on NT records but there are far more of all sizes out there. From small city sized ones, to larger moon sized ones.

• Each ark contains its own culture that has developed over the untold millennia separate from the others and can be radically different. So you could have a very strict ark where vox are mass produced worker drones with barcodes on them, another that has formed into some kind of industrial nightmare scape, or another where Auralis are viewed as gods, or another where they are viewed as a myth since no one ever sees them. Could even have an ark where there ARE no more auralis for one reason or another.

• All vox designs exist in the same story universe due to a mix of the culture aspect and their genetic engineering. So small vox, big box, feathered vox, scaled vox, 3 eyed vox, 2 eyed vox, split face vox and beak faced vox, all exist, just on different arks where that's how, over time began to be engineered for various reasons. (To me this both explains why vox have so many variations and makes them more of an unknown aspect that you cant exactly pin down)
  • Like 3

In my headcannon, both greys and swarmers are related to abductors. Abductors, being much more advanced specie from outside the milky way, have performed a lot of different experiments and made a lot of bizarre inventions which can not be even known by different communities of abductors themselves. 

• Like 2

While I'm allergic to both lore and rp, I did have a bit of headcannon/gripe with current vampire lore. The current text in the wiki states: 

An entity that lives in bluespace, and is known to take control of a body as it approaches death. The "soul" is replaced with this entity, who inherits the memories and personality of the body via it's brain.

Able to suck the life force on others, it gains power from this, allowing the entity greater influence over reality from bluespace.

Such presence also gives it vulnerabilities to psychic phenomena, such as waters blessed by the faithful, or the light of stars.

It is illegal to be a vampire, and they are subsequently treated the same as syndicate agents.

Particularly with this part: 

The "soul" is replaced with this entity, who inherits the memories and personality of the body via it's brain.

This is no different from changeling, who absorbs a body, inheriting memories and mimicking personality. Yet, vampires are not KoS and are still considered to be part of the crew. So my own headcannon is this:

• As a body approaches death, the vampiric bluespace entity can seep into the corpse and the souls are joined into one. The original personality and memories are intact, but with the entity attached the crew member feels compelled, to varying degrees, to feed and sustain themselves. This can range from outright murder to reluctance to feed, or even turning themselves in or pulling victims to medbay from guilt.

Imo thats more interesting than the vampire outright replacing the original soul, and it better reflects current SoP/Spacelaw as well as making sense why some vampires turn themselves in or otherwise act kind. Also leaves room for sick rp regarding innate conflict and need to kill, not that I'd ever participate in such a thing.

Other than that, one practice I and a few others have (no idea if its written somewhere)

• Vast majority of shifts aboard the NSS Cyberaid are calm, with mostly petty crimes, if any, committed. The shift you, the player, have aboard the shift is the exception, and always will be the exception.

That way it makes sense as to why NT haven't installed a tougher screening process for crew members, and why they don't mindshield all heads of the station/have cameras in literally every part of the station.

• Like 1

Two fragments of vamp lore I need opinions on, both with very different tones.

The first is more cold, and I suppose is a piece of a TSF report or something.

The first suspected contact with the organization later dubbed the “Cabal” occurred when logistics freighter TSF-L “Transylvania” never docked at TSF Naval Base Kilimanjaro, when the first recovery team boarded the ship, the power had been cut and the crew missing. The only corpses recovered from the derelict were of the security team, all 5 completely drained of blood. Fearing hostile contact with a new race, the TSF Office of Naval Intelligence analyzed the vessel and found that, with the exception of the brig, there were no signs of combat and no non-human DNA. Jurisdiction was then taken by the TSF’s Bureau of Extra-dimensional Affairs, who began to compile the first dossier on the "Transylvania Incident".
    After years of false reports, BEA agents successfully captured a low-level entity after an attempted raid on a secret facility, and after many hours of interrogation the entity admitted they were approached by a strange figure and offered power and wealth in exchange for the theft of a prototype from the local research base. However the entity refused to name any collaborators and repeatedly professed their ignorance. Once it was confirmed that the entity, still appearing genetically human, had no abilities other remarkable healing factor, data collection began.
   The entity was found to be resistant to large amounts of brute force trauma, as well as most sedatives. Short term exposure to high temperatures had little effect beyond terrifying the entity. Cold temperatures had no unusual effects. The Bureau’s chaplain was called for the second stage of data collection, and it was documented that the presence of the chaplain’s rosary was incredibly distressing to the entity; tests performed with the chaplain present recorded an approximately 70% decrease in healing factor efficiency. Agents collecting data report that the entity grew weak after long periods without sapient blood, and note that while that blood of all known species were tested, only blood from non-sapient creatures and blood from dead sapients did not increase healing factor efficiency. The entity was unfortunately lost after experimentation with high-band UV radiation and their body deteriorated into dust immediately after the loss of brain activity.
    The compilation of the “Vampiric Report” led to the a significant diversion of resources into the BEA, who quickly began tracking suspected members of the newly named “Cabal”. Four known variants of entity have been cataloged, each with unique and dangerous inhuman abilities. BEA analysts speculate that there may potentially be more variants, and note that no higher-level entity has ever successfully been captured by TSF forces.

The second is a very brief, more dramatic blurb, something I'd probably put on the wiki one day if it can be made to fit the style.

Entities with strange and unnatural powers obtained by stealing the “vital essence” of life are a common element in almost all known species’ folklore. Modern science has come to discover (often violently) that these “vampires” are, in fact, quite real. Pledging allegiance to the extraordinarily secretive “Sanguine Collective”, these powerful beings have sacrificed all mortal concerns for an unquenchable thirst for blood and power. Members of the shadowy cabal are rarely encountered and at a glance appear very much like ordinary people, however when they finally decide to toss away this masquerade, they use ungodly powers to ruthlessly achieve goals beyond our comprehension. Only one thing is clear about these depraved monsters, they see us as little more than cattle.

Need thoughts on things like names. A name for the vampire organization is still needed, I'm using "Cabal" and 'Sanguine Collective" as placeholders. Also generally I'm open to literally any suggestion, I am not a writer.

• Like 2

A running list of personal headcanon I have (some running directly contradictory to accepted lore):

Vulp Things:

Vulpkanin culture strongly disapproves of large families. As a consequence of limited resources, limited living space, and limited...everything really, it would make sense for Vulps to see having large families as wasteful, or taking resources from others. By extension, being born a twin/triplet/etc. is seen as a sign of bad luck by the more superstitious Vulpkanin, and as a burden by the more logical. If you want to go darker with it, in a world of genetic modification a government with broad emergency powers such as the Assembly could easily demand population control down to a cellular level, further reinforcing the idea the Vulpkanin have sacrificed greatly for their collective survival.

While Vulpkanin are constantly torn between the assimilationist and parallelist philosophies, they nonetheless form large cultural enclaves in whatever cities they settle in. This can be a point of contention among Vulpkanin and the dominant culture.

These predominately vulpkanin "CanniTowns" also lead to a very interesting "It-takes-a-megastructure" communal parenting style, in which older members of a habitat or archology may watch the children while their parents go to work, giving colony-dwelling Vulpkanin a wide assortment of views and experiences.

Being a largely immigrant culture Vulpkanin are still struggling to overcome discrimination, especially in the Sol system, where the already Human-centric TSF has heavy influence on most media and corporate entities. Some Sol citizens still maintain that rising Vulpkanin populations will eventually out-compete the native humans, even 3 centuries after the diaspora began.

Racht. Oh man Racht. That's like 5 paragraphs of philosophical ramblings I wrote out one night to justify how Monism, an almost entirely material philosophy, would encapsulate a "universal will", I'll post that another time.

Non-Vulp Things:

The Cyberiad is where all of NT's problematic, incompetent, or plain untrustworthy employees are sent. This keeps them away from the profitable and efficient facilities, and conveniently keeps them all on a station with one of the highest incident rates in the galaxy. If they die, they die. If they turn a profit before hand, all the better.

The majority of TSF citizens serve in the civil corps, a massive bureaucratic organ required to maintain and supply the largest military in the galaxy.

TSF has four branches: Navy, Marines, Security, and Civil, each with different taskings, but all soldiers have Primary Training, explaining why crew members understand first aid, firefighting, simple engineering, and are competent with advanced weaponry.

Nanotrasen keep a very close eye on the crew of the Cyberiad, both past and present, keeping long dossiers on each (explaining crew records being so detailed)

Nanotrasen sometimes has Internal Affairs agents and Human Resources personnel in plainclothes undercover aboard the Cyberiad, which (in addition to a Comms Officer listening in on radio chatter) is how Central always seems to know whats going on.

Nanotrasen maintains several Habitation stations, or company towns in space. One of which, the NBS Hearthwood is where all my characters go at the end of the round.

Mars is terraformed to an extent, leaded to a vast desert planet with a thin but breathable atmosphere. Massive mega-cities are separated by large swaths of nigh-inhospitable wasteland supporting small, insular, plasma-mining communities.  Space Texas

The Chihong Sea is a massive ocean, turned red by the same mineral deposits found in Martian soil, that handles thermal and atmospheric regulation.

Edited by Threes
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Threes said:

The Cyberiad is where all of NT's problematic, incompetent, or plain untrustworthy employees are sent. This keeps them away from the profitable and efficient facilities, and conveniently keeps them all on a station with one of the highest incident rates in the galaxy. If they die, they die. If they turn a profit before hand, all the better.

4 hours ago, Rurik said:

Other than that, one practice I and a few others have (no idea if its written somewhere)

• Vast majority of shifts aboard the NSS Cyberaid are calm, with mostly petty crimes, if any, committed. The shift you, the player, have aboard the shift is the exception, and always will be the exception.

That way it makes sense as to why NT haven't installed a tougher screening process for crew members, and why they don't mindshield all heads of the station/have cameras in literally every part of the station.

I think both of these fit somewhat into what amounts to a crazy conspiracy theory: It's the NSS Cyberiad, which means it's a SCIENCE station. But what science gets actually done? The stuff RnD produces seem to be all known, robotics doesn't produce anything new, there are no chemicals to be discovered, toxins can only do so much for the perfect mix, and xenbio slimes are also known. So when the science department doesn't actually do science, what's getting studied? The crew, or rather the effects of prolonged exposure to bluespace activity. Lavaland does have quite a few "supernatural" mobs, and given the amount of anomalies/rifts we get to know (for the active shifts), the separation between the normal space and bluespace is weakened. And the NSV Icarus is there to monitor this, it does have advanced sensories for it. As the Caberiad is not the research facility, but rather the subject of said research, it makes sense to have a bit more lax screening and similar, as it's not that important, and it encourages stressful situations to happen. After all, NT will want to know that there are no problems from that exposure, especially in a crisis. What use is a bluespace exploration team if it goes crazy from the exposure in case something unusual happens?

Moving on from that conspiracy thing, i got a few things i try to keep in mind for playing my Tajarans:

• As a motif in their religion is the light, and the veils kept their use there. They probably started as snow goggles, but after more advanced gear was made for it, their use got moved more to the religion. After all, you can get only so close to the light if your eyes burn from it. So blindness may even be seen as a boon to some sects of the religion.
  • A figure of speech: "to wrap it in cloths" means to say it nicely, they use tapestry and such as insulation and make the wall feel nicer, so i would think that works in general.
  • In a similar vein, an "ice shard" may mean the same as a red herring: Seen something glister, and investigated it, but it was just a chunk of clear ice reflecting the light, so a bad lead that something is there.
  • During the Overseers regime, and the rebellion in the end, there was a need for smugglers and couriers, and as waiting and hiding in the snow is not the nicest thing, it was solved by running and parkour. Building will have been close together to retain some heat, so running over the rooftops is a good way to avoid otherwise patrolled streets. It changed to a more legal delivery, but otherwise survived to the current day, even if it may be dying due to other delivery methods brought in by corporates.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Rurik said:

This is no different from changeling, who absorbs a body, inheriting memories and mimicking personality. Yet, vampires are not KoS and are still considered to be part of the crew

This is due to gameplay reasons. Imagine a vampire who has glare and rejuv getting shotgunned to death for existing. Roundstart vampires are weak, so you cannot really let them be lethalled. However the lore is- well bad.

*The code includes mentions of space Transylvania and i HATE it.*

• clown 1
  • fastparrot 1
  • dead 1

6 hours ago, Charliminator said:

*The code includes mentions of space Transylvania and i HATE it.*

We don't talk about Space Transylvannia.

4 hours ago, Threes said:

I talk about Space Transylvannia a lot.

You won't be talking much longer.

What I can remember from the top of my head:
-Tau Ceti system has a station that slingshots asteroids towards a mining area.

-Syndiecakes are actually made from corgi meat (there's a space ruin that confirms that).

Edited by Nazsgull

• 10 months later...

I have written a timeline of events bridging the events of the AvP Universe with those of SS13. Although still a work in progress, I think this will better connect the existence of Xenomorphs in game as well as why Nanotrasen seems to be the only Megacorporation left; please feel free to give me feedback!

unknown.png

9 hours ago, Khango said:

I have written a timeline of events bridging the events of the AvP Universe with those of SS13. Although still a work in progress, I think this will better connect the existence of Xenomorphs in game as well as why Nanotrasen seems to be the only Megacorporation left; please feel free to give me feedback!

It's good but I do have a few gripes.
Relating to paradise specific lore, I'm pretty sure skrell were the first to make contact with Sol to make the human-skrell alliance or something. "Tizaran" also are strange since the unathi are the "lizard people" and the closest to the name are tajarans, one of the two "feline" species.

Also 2100 forwards, the main Earth planetary body was the United Earth Confederacy and then the Sol federation. I'm sure there's a way to make them the "US" and their marines the "USCM".

Personally, considering the Alien lore I think it would make more sense if Weyland-Yutani secretly merged with NT, keeping all that corporate corruption and such.

Anyways, really interesting interpretation to the origins of the alien. It was bound to happen considering the mysterious and unknown history of those things :)

Edited by Aligote

On 9/24/2022 at 6:29 PM, Aligote said:

It's good but I do have a few gripes.
Relating to paradise specific lore, I'm pretty sure skrell were the first to make contact with Sol to make the human-skrell alliance or something. "Tizaran" also are strange since the unathi are the "lizard people" and the closest to the name are tajarans, one of the two "feline" species.

Also 2100 forwards, the main Earth planetary body was the United Earth Confederacy and then the Sol federation. I'm sure there's a way to make them the "US" and their marines the "USCM".

Personally, considering the Alien lore I think it would make more sense if Weyland-Yutani secretly merged with NT, keeping all that corporate corruption and such.

Anyways, really interesting interpretation to the origins of the alien. It was bound to happen considering the mysterious and unknown history of those things :)

I appreciate the feedback! As for the specifics, I was combining elements from other SS13 timelines, in particular the original wiki for the base game (things like why instead of "Uthani" I used "Tiziran"). A big thing I had to ensure was that Weyland-Yutani's demise and the events of the Alien films happened a good while before the introduction of alien races from the SS13 universe. Again, your comments have been really helpful, and I hope to revise my work with support from you guys. Thanks so much!

"Russian Station"

The "Russian" station that survived the gateway purge (as of posting) holds some contradictory implications that would make alot more sense with the proposed theory. Based on first glance, Russians have invaded some sort of NT facility (contrary to SOME people who just describe it as a Russian base) and don't think any further about it. However, there is no reason for the "Russians" to be non-sentient mobs and for the USSP to even be attacking NT in  the first place (their not hostile as of the recent USSP lore update). 

Now, what is most likely the case for me is that their syndicate bioengineered soldiers dressed in soviet clothing to pin the USSP as scapegoats and ruin NT-USSP relations. It would explain why those "Russians" are the way they are and the entire gateway destination as a whole.

Station Purpose

The station's main purpose is to:

-Mine resources (currently Lavaland) and test it's quality with RND products/experiments (Toxins and plasma).
-Export plasma, tech disks, and illegal advanced seeds from cargo to serve in "important" NT cataloguing or distribution.
-Strengthen legal NT presence in the epsilon eridani sector and currently Lavaland.

Edited by Aligote
Removed a head canon

out-of-rotation stuff - revolutionary brainwashing and its rough history - "do you hear the people sing?"

"revolutionaries... we all know them, I'm sure you sure as hell know who they are if you're important enough for NT to give half a damn compared to the rest of those lot eh? well, they didn't come from nowhere... the agreement with the solar federation has its flaws, I know one thing, they don't work entirely for the syndicate either, hell I don't think they give a damn about anyone but the message they send, damned psychos... but their eyes, they don't look with us, they sing a hollow song of freedom, to me though, that's slavery clear as day... eugh- look man, I don't agree with my employers entirely, I just do what I do to get by." ~ transcript of an anonymous traitor librarian during an interview with undercover NAS Trurl staff during a debrief with nanotrasen loyalty affairs agents.

revolutionaries, we all know the feared sound of the flash, a distinctive click that overrides a brain, some individuals are implanted with special reflexes that allows them to exploit flashbulb timings to hypnotise people to signals from various distant hijacked satalites, radio signals and the like, turning them into crazed, brainwashed anti corperate slaves, but who the hell are those people that lead the songs of angry men...

well the history isn't entirely syndicate, turns out when people from various anti-nanotrasen sentiment to send out enough propaganda it only takes a person skeptical of NT and loyal to the USSP, the Prospero Order or some other group of extreme beliefs to snap. Most revolutionaries stem from USSP extremist cells as well as the Prospero Order, enraged by nanotrasen's position as the largest shareholder in the galactic plasma markets within the sectors of the trans-solar federation, the fact nanotrasen tends to have high levels of equality when it comes to worker rights from other races than just humanity, although this mostly applies to the Prospero Order, as well as the fact nanotrasen feeds into the trans-solar federation as almost its biggest source of profit, unlike the most diplomatic main bodies that make up the USSP and the Prospero Order, these cells tend to strike deals within the syndicate and to corrupt dealers with ties to biological manipulation like BioTech Solutions to create "head revolutionaries", people with their minds so far-altered to the point where termination is the only way to "re-educate" them, due to the risks of them being able to convert people that aren't implanted against such or trained to resist such mind-control hypnosis like nanotrasen heads of staff.

one thing is certain, when people go missing from contractors, assassinations, hell even nuclear aftermaths and tradeship raids the syndicate and other pirate groups tend to supply the bodies to these extremist groups under the guise of their own and because they pay fairly well for NT staffing on-records, allowing plausable deniability against nanotrasen and furthering the hostilities between the USSP and the trans-solar federation as well as nanotrasen. While the syndicate does take the majority of the blame and impact of the claims and the USSP's main governing bodies deny any involvement, its 100% certain that the USSP's deserters and syndicate's lesser morally restrained cells are involved within revolutionary efforts.

nanotrasen often clamps down on such cells, loyalty implanting inflicted crew to forcefully alter their minds in a way that reduces suspectability to mind-altering hypnosis these flashes operate on and hunting down any unidentified satalites broadcasting revolutionary sleeper signals, unfortunately head revolutionaries due to how far their minds are altered overload these implants, causing them to de-activate via neural signals, nobody knows quite how but there are rumors mindshields have a way to... turn them off, oddly enough...

Nanotrasen security staffing and heads of staff are excessively, trained and checked as well as vetted against any sleeper activity, however due to budget cuts and steve spilling his coffee over the employment and loyalty monitoring records for general crew for the seven-hundredth time, solar federation laws, training general NT crew to resist the effects of subversive brainwashing via flashing hypnosis, remains impossible against true revolutionary heads and to this day, revolutionary emergencies remain dealt with primary via loyalty implanting, mass genocide, warcrime levels of security brutality and deathsquads and other means of loyalty ensurance.

Another reasoning a majority of the trans-solar federation sources out to nanotrasen as its biggest supplier of counter-revolutionary implants for its military forces and an increasingly convincing scapegoat for the syndicate to blame nanotrasen as the new enemy in the eyes of such, cells of USSP belief extremes.

the history isn't entirely USSP either, some cells of the Elysium Republic and Synthetic Union are also known to partake via use of revolutionary brainwashing tactics for political sway rallying against nanotrasen's equality or late-effort on synthetic rights, or whatever other crazed and twisted reasonings on their ideals they can come up with combined with heavy syndicate provocateur involvement.

Most of the recent conflicts involving revolutionary brainwashing come from the Prospero Order which uses revolutionary heads and brainwashing to aquire more slaves via use of mass brainwashing employees to overthrow stations, which has in recent years brought nanotrasen and the trans-solar federation towards taking action several times, barely just scraping by plausable deniablity after later investigations revealed syndicate-grade contraband and implants found in such conflicts as well as causing the USSP to take action against such cells within itself and outside, as increasing the global reputation of the syndicate as whole to be widely seen as more than just a malicious paramilitary force.

widely based off existing para lore, such as the Prospero Order - see the offical wiki page lore for reference

Edited by Shadowradar1212
a few tweaks, here and there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use