Simple Board Games

Sweaterkittens

I had this thought while spending some time with the prisoners in perma earlier this evening. 

It would be amazing to have some simple board games such as chess and checkers available in certain areas and as a roundstart loadout option. There is currently a virtual chessboard in the Bar, but sadly, it is only singleplayer vs. AI., and not portable.

My concept is to either have a singular "board game box" or one for each game. Like a body bag or portable stretcher, it can be stowed in bags or on surfaces, but using it in-hand folds it out into a gameboard that can be placed (or dragged?) onto surfaces. Clicking on the unfolded board then opens the UI, which would allow for game selection (if all of the games were contained in one board), resetting the board, or playing. Click-dragging the sprite back onto your player sprite would fold the board back up into its mobile form for safe stowage.

I think this would be phenomenal for killing time in the bar, adding some more to a social hangout, and giving permabrig prisoners something else to do.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Sweaterkittens said:

It would be amazing to have some simple board games such as chess and checkers available in certain areas and as a roundstart loadout option. There is currently a virtual chessboard in the Bar, but sadly, it is only singleplayer vs. AI., and not portable.

Theres actually one in the bar and another in the arcade, and both can be un-wrenched and moved.

I still entirely agree with what's said here however, as its just chess and then card games that are honestly quite hard to play.

Also on another note, ish, a fun project you can do is setup a giant chess board using statues.

Assistants (sand) for pawns

Captain and HoS for king and queen (HoS is obv the queen, especially if someone like bublegum

CE For knights

Borgs for rooks

RD's for bishops

And then you can just use a labeler for the sides, or colorium if you've got time. Could also use science statues versus engi statues, like the nuke statue and tesla statues to pit departments against each other, lots of fun to be had!

• Like 1

That's actually a really nice suggestion. Party activities like that are great for roleplay because they create situations to comment on ICly, and give players something to focus on while they're not talking. Big thumbs up from me, amazing idea. Though, you'd need to find someone to implement it :p

• Like 2

I love this.

Here is a cardgame I just came up with.

Glory to Nanotrasen - A card game for new employees

This game was designed by Nanotrasen to teach new employees the right way to interact with people on the station.

Setup: Shuffle a deck of card and every player takes one.

A turn: A randomly chosen player reveals their card. Each other player needs to react appropriately to the card (based the list). The one who reacts the slowest is out. If someone reacts the wrong way they are also out. When only one player remains, they are the winner and everyone else has to pay them part of their salary (or buy them a drink).

What the different cards Represents and how you should react if you see them:

Suits are ignored

Ace: Traitor - shout "SYNDICATE AGENT!"

Any number from 2-9: Tourist - Say "Welcome to Nanotrasen!"

10: The Janitor - say " Clean up medbay!" (Can also be another location)

Jack: The clown - Honk your nose

Queen: The Captain - "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Sir" Depending on time of day.

King: John Nanotrasen himself - Say "GLORY TO NANOTRASEN"

This partygame can probably be played in the bar really easily.

Roleplaying games

Another option would be to import some ACTUALLY PLAYABLE roleplaying games (DnD is a horrible roleplaying game to play on paradise. Too slow and too crunchy). This would require no coding, only teaching people (who are smart enough to learn this annoyingly complex computer game) a really simple roleplaying system.

Something WAY more simple and WAY more playable than D&D  would be the following:

Roll for shoes: https://rollforshoes.com/

Super simple D6 system where your character starts pretty worthless but then evolves into a unique character based on their actions. You can set this up in 2 minutes. Your character starts with only one stat. Would be super easy to implement a session.

Honey Heist: https://gshowitt.itch.io/honey-heist

Here is the plot:

1) You have a complex Heist that requires precise timing.

2) You are a GODDAMN BEAR.

A bit more complex, but way less complex than D&D.

Edited by maxfromsweden
Formatting
  • Like 3

This would be a very interesting project! I'd be cool with taking it up, at least the technical side, and I'd definitely appreciate the help of spriters and players who'd like to chime in with ideas!

cue the ability to flip the board on the other player's face

• Like 2
  • eyes 1

20 minutes ago, dearmochi said:

I'd definitely appreciate the help of spriters and players who'd like to chime in with ideas!

Some common, easily recognizable board games that come to mind would be chess, checkers, some variation of Scrabble, some variation of Monopoly... I have no idea how one would implement Jenga but that lmao. Some variation of mahjong maybe. Oh and fucking Uno.

8 hours ago, Woje said:

"Party activities like that are great for roleplay because they create situations to comment on ICly, and give players something to focus on while they're not talking."

Woje said it better than I could've. It's something that doesn't require 100% focus, but serves as way to spend time with one another and provide a vehicle for conversation and RP. Sometimes I want to spend more time with the prisoners in perma, but I don't really have a reason to. Playing games with them would be a great IC way to spend downtime while also creating good opportunities for RP. 

6 hours ago, dearmochi said:

This would be a very interesting project! I'd be cool with taking it up, at least the technical side, and I'd definitely appreciate the help of spriters and players who'd like to chime in with ideas!

cue the ability to flip the board on the other player's face

You're the best, Mochi! I'd be happy to get back into spriting by doing some game boxes/unfolded boards.

(I was secretly hoping for a board flip option, too)

5 hours ago, Rythen said:

I'd love just the ability to play the existing chess boards with another person.

I would imagine that if this was implemented, the virtual chessboard in the Bar could easily be tweaked to allow playing chess with multiple players. On top of that, you could probably just make it a static version of the board game box that let you select games at-will.

• Like 1

Ooh, this is a perfect idea! As someone who tends to go for civilian roleplay on slower hours, it'd be a perfect fit for the entire rp routine! While the arcade has two (out of three) functioning arcade machines, it leaves a lot to be desired after you've beaten Orion Trail for the 17th time. I hope the board game idea gets implemented! I'd love to play Uno in game with my fellow crewmates! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coolrune206 said:

I want to play 5D Chess with Multiverse Time Travel with people

That's called atmospheric technician, sir.

• Like 2
  • fastparrot 1
  • explodyparrot 1
  • bap 1

15 hours ago, Woje said:

Some common, easily recognizable board games that come to mind would be chess, checkers, some variation of Scrabble, some variation of Monopoly... I have no idea how one would implement Jenga but that lmao. Some variation of mahjong maybe. Oh and fucking Uno.

Quick, we need to make Big Jenga :p

In all seriousness though this idea sounds great! Anything to comment ICly is great, maybe I'll finally relearn chess or something. I'd happily help with some sprite work if this is picked up by a coder.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use