Adding Department Comms to Exosuits

Raydon1206

So I've been enjoying being an MMI in an exosuit (Quite niche I know), and I've been lamenting the fact that the exosuits only get station bounce radio comms. I would like to suggest the ability to add department comms to exosuits, or perhaps they come prefab with specific departments (I.E. Gygax and Durand have Security pre-added). That's.. about it really. I don't know how one might do it.

Back when I mained Cyborg on /tg/, you had to have the specific department's encryption key slotted into your frame if you wanted to be able to talk on that channel. Basically this just meant going to sec and asking for a headset, which anyone could use a screwdriver on to get the security key. Having that functionality enabled for exosuits seems perfect. If anything it would encourage more communication between departments, encouraging roboticists to talk to supply or security while the mechs are in construction.

6 hours ago, Raydon1206 said:

or perhaps they come prefab with specific departments

That would make breaching sec comms a cakewalk for robotics. You don't want that happening.

Now, adding encryption keys would be interesting. I would like to see that for more than just mechs, actually, pAIs in particular.

7 hours ago, Raydon1206 said:

So I've been enjoying being an MMI in an exosuit (Quite niche I know), and I've been lamenting the fact that the exosuits only get station bounce radio comms. I would like to suggest the ability to add department comms to exosuits, or perhaps they come prefab with specific departments (I.E. Gygax and Durand have Security pre-added). That's.. about it really. I don't know how one might do it.

Could have it work like station bounced radios, where they have comms access based on something about you (ID, your headset? i haven't looked into what specifically)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S34N said:

Could have it work like station bounced radios, where they have comms access based on something about you (ID, your headset? i haven't looked into what specifically)

It's the ID, like intercoms.

Bit unsure as to how I feel about this--although, it does make me think I should add a section to my suggestion thread for SoP, about MMIs/ positronics being slotted into mechas. 

I can definitely see the reasoning behind this suggestion, that being a person put into a Ripley would likely want mining comms. However, when it comes to things like MMIs in durands or gygaxes... ehhh.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use