External Access for security.

Krossarn

Sometimes when playing as a security officer you are needed in space, for various reasons.

As the officers dont have access to the more closer external accesses, you have to walk from the Armory, where the hardsuits are located, to Arrivals external access, the reason you had to go into space will more often than not be long gone.

So I was thinking. How about adding an external access in security, for security access only. Maybe it could be located between the labor shuttle access and Gamma shuttle access.

If this is implemented I belive there will be a lot more confrontations with security when you are an antag and operate alot in space, as it's rather a safe space (no pun intended).

Thoughts?

Skärmbild 2021-08-06 193718.png

• Like 1

"Hello Captain, please give me external airlock access to chase the syndieman."

Just now, henri215 said:

''Sure, fill this additional access form first''

You are wording this like this would be the officer's problem, they just clean there, the baddie is impeding other people, not them. :p

34 minutes ago, AffectedArc07 said:

All well if a SPP, HoS is present.

14 minutes ago, Woje said:

"Hello Captain, please give me external airlock access to chase the syndieman."

7 minutes ago, henri215 said:

''Sure, fill this additional access form first''

"the reason you had to go into space will more often than not be long gone."

2 minutes ago, Krossarn said:

"the reason you had to go into space will more often than not be long gone."

Problem solved.

Also you could have AI unbolt gulag airlocks too.

I'm of the opinion that sec should fail if they dont act as a team and with the crew. Going to the HOP for extra access is part of that.

If you wanna fight crime in space as an officer play SPP or get the access from the HOP as a reactionary thing.

• Like 2

You can also go to the gulag shuttle, and either ask the AI to unbolt the gamma armory entrance or - even easier - call the gulag shuttle, open the airlocks, send it back, and you're in space !

Really don't think this is an issue.

3 minutes ago, Peak said:

You can also go to the gulag shuttle, and either ask the AI to unbolt the gamma armory entrance or - even easier - call the gulag shuttle, open the airlocks, send it back, and you're in space !

Really don't think this is an issue.

Fun fact, the AI cannot open the Gamma Armory entrance!

• Like 1

I think this is a case where I prefer to encourage security to adapt to antag tactics rather than just giving a "buff" to make an antag strategy less viable.

What I mean is that if you, as security, are in a situation where you see antags using space to escape, they might get away with it the first time, maybe the second time as well because you haven't prepared for this.  However, once you see them doing this a couple of times it would be a smart move for the HoS to recommend a few officers to get airlock access and prepare themselves to deal with this.

Doing it this way rewards security for thinking, planning ahead, and adapting to how antags are playing and also then encourages antags to not use the same tactics over and over if they see that security is adapting to their escape plans.  It also avoids "nerfing" an escape route for antags right from round start.

Getting the access isn't necessarily about stopping the antag who already escaped into space, it's about adapting to the tactics to get them next time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While the staff seem to have come to a consensus already, I wish security had an easier time leaving/entering from space.

As HoS I've frequently resorted to turning the labor shuttle dock into an improvised entry/exit point by sending the shuttle away and unbolting the airlocks. I'm not sure I see the harm in giving security a more formal cycling airlock in that same location. The airlock wouldn't need to be accessible to all of sec (if anything, it would be a liability if anyone with a stolen sec ID could enter there) but it should at least be there for convenience, even if sec has to get expanded access or the help of the AI to use it.

Addressing the (extremely flippant) arguments that have been brought up:

• The Pod Pilot is a karma-locked role. Unless this changed recently, it's frowned upon for a player to take over pod pilot duties if they haven't unlocked that role through karma. If we're claiming that a security pod pilot should always be available, then the role should not be karma-locked.
    • The security pod itself is also ridiculously vulnerable to being outmaneuvered and destroyed, but that's a discussion for another thread.
  • The external access airlocks above the security pod are not accessible by security officers—not even the HoS. Security can't even ask the AI to operate those particular airlocks since those airlocks have no local cameras.
    • There's also the problem that a player needs to break through a reinforced wall before they can even reach the button to open that airlock's interior doors, so it's not like EVA access is going to help with that.
  • "But Antags need the head-start." I do agree... however, I think the difficulty of getting officers into the armory hardsuits in the first place already grants enough of a head-start. Even if security gets an actually convenient way to enter/exit the station from the brig (such as using the door remote to force open the gulag shuttle dock), escaping into space with EVA gear still remains a viable getaway tactic. It just shortens the head-start to maybe 5-15 minutes rather than the 15-20 minutes it takes to get the average HoP to grant extra access.
Edited by Machofish

What would be helpful is if more pod pilots actually stayed in space.

There's several members of security who are responsible for dealing with stuff on station there's only one who's responsible for dealing with stuff in space and too frequently someone will request the pilot go check into something in space and they're busy patrolling the hallways down by cargo or something like that and take 5+ minutes to get outside.

Officers should patrol the hallways so they are available to respond to incidents within the station quicker the same as a pilot should be patrolling the exterior of the station to be able to respond to incidents out there quicker.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use