Allow Compression-Only CPR

Sweaterkittens

Inspired by a post @Woje made in the current Suggestion thread regarding cutting hair.

Currently, you can only perform CPR if both you and the target have nothing on your face, and you are able to deliver rescue breaths. However, compressions are arguably the most important part of CPR - to the point that the AHA changed their algorithm from "A-B-C" (Airway - Breathing - Circulation) to "C-A-B" (Circulation - Airway - Breathing) in 2010, prioritizing high-quality chest compressions over opening the airway or delivering breaths. In fact, there was a study that was released one year prior to the AHA changes that showed that prehospital cardiac arrest patients had a higher survival rate when just given an oxygen mask as opposed to being mechanically ventilated. I don't want to get too off-track on how things work in real life, because SS13 is a game and ultimately isn't a 1:1 facsimile of real life.

However, I would like to see CPR be able to performed when you can only give chest compressions - perhaps at 75% effectiveness? If both parties can breath and have no masks, then let it function as it currently does.

This would allow CPR see a lot more use, and would also allow better management of patients when you have 2+ medical staff attending them. No more worrying about administering a medication that the other doc is already on top of, or treating the same damage area - now one person can focus on CPR to help stabilize while the lead medic runs things.

Edited by Sweaterkittens
added link to study
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • explodyparrot 1

Finally someone gets off their ass and actually says this on forums :') It only took us weeks, guys...

Yeah, I think CPR is a pretty good feature when it can actually be used. Lets more people help out with someone without getting in the way too much, helps people survive until the paramedic gets there (hopefully discouraging every random tider doing paramedic's job), I just like it for the flavor also. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aurora (maybe baycode in general?) has this feature. Dunno if any other codebase does, or if it's worth just coding in our own version of this. IIRC the Aurora version requires you to have someone in an aggressive grab first. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Charliminator said:

I think this is a great idea 

You should code it. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use