Operation snowstorm

AllStickySocks

Very quick and simple. Is anyone against having snow machines year round instead of them being a Christmas only thing? I really want to make my drask paradise room and have snowball fights.

Edited by AllStickySocks
yes
  • Like 4

I think it would be cool. Having it tied to real life date is kinda weird, there's reasons to want to have snow somewhere that are in no ways related to a Christian holiday.

• Like 2

On one hand, having them be craftable would be fun. Who doesn't want a snowball fight in the midst of August? 

On the other hand, however... I think it would take away from the overall feel when they're mapped in during the winter holiday season. Sort of the 'if everyone is special, nobody will be' mentality, in a way.

I suppose I'd be neutral on the matter. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spacemanspark said:

On the other hand, however... I think it would take away from the overall feel when they're mapped in during the winter holiday season.

There's other festive things than snow that are mapping in during that time, however. Like ornaments. Christmas trees. That kinda stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, Woje said:

There's other festive things than snow that are mapping in during that time, however. Like ornaments. Christmas trees. That kinda stuff. 

Maybe so, but I feel it still takes away from the setting. 

Although, this is coming from someone who lives in a place with snow every year during winter and loves it. The effect is likely lost on a good chunk of our playerbase anyways. 

• Like 1

I think it is something really fun that is arbitrarily restricted. The PR is probably easy to make for people that know what they are doing but for me I need to be sure people actually want this.

I basically agree with everything said here.  I play a Drask as well and I'd honestly love to set up a little cold room freezer complete with snow but on the other hand I also wouldn't want the snow machines constantly put in the hallways like we see at Christmas time.  That part is fun during the holidays but I feel like the whole station being covered in snow would be strange.  I like the idea of them being used for particular areas though.

• Like 3

Yeah I would say that the area they cover right now is too large and with my previous thermostat PR it is probably possible to cause some real damage if it was used that way. Still think the playerbase will be responsible with it though.

2WRKPys.png

3WvfcFy.png

6j9TzvC.png

8NHe7wV.png

BkIP447.png

Fxryh7K.png

ixOKqk2.png

np2vkIM.png

UGLGVP2.png

xVQkcza.png

1 hour ago, AllStickySocks said:

Still think the playerbase will be responsible with it though.

hahahaha

ahahhahaa

HAHAHAHhahHAHahahAHAHAHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rythen said:

I basically agree with everything said here.  I play a Drask as well and I'd honestly love to set up a little cold room freezer complete with snow but on the other hand I also wouldn't want the snow machines constantly put in the hallways like we see at Christmas time.  That part is fun during the holidays but I feel like the whole station being covered in snow would be strange.  I like the idea of them being used for particular areas though.

Yeah as someone with a Drask character I've also wanted to do some sort of cold room with snow sorta like how vox and plasmemes do their special rooms. But like if someone's abusing snow machines that oughta be pretty easy to stop.

• Like 1

I don't think it'll be that easy to stop abuse from happening, only to mitigate the impact by deleting the machine when it gets too much.

As for the machine itself, it would probably be better if the ambient temperature would be more noticeable besides scorching/freezing. Air alarms can be set between 10-30°C by anyone iirc, and no one will notice it unless they check their PDAs air analyzer. Give people a character option for the comfortable temperature range, so they get notified if it's above/below it, without affecting the dangerous ranges. Give characters a default based on species (so as example drasks very low, tajaran low, human average, unathi high), and that allows cold rooms to be noticeable without snow laying around.

Also, it may be less prone to abuse if making snow requires you to have the room cooled down before being able to get it placed, maybe it could just be made that if you have a room below the freezing point, throwing(splashing) a beaker with hot water to make snow. Usually requires colder temperatures for such quick snow creations, but that doesn't matter for this.

• Like 3

Out of all my bought cultural artifacts from the BSH, I’ve gotten the snow machine once. And it rocked.

If it was possible to get it in anyway people would probably use it all the time and everywhere.. For a few rounds.. Then cast aside/forget/dont care about it,. Exept for people, like drask players, to make cool build around it.

I would very much like to implement a way to get it, outside the rng BSH reward.

Having it shipped via cargo or maybe produced at the circuit imprinter (making it buildable) would be something.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MarsMond said:

Also, it may be less prone to abuse if making snow requires you to have the room cooled down before being able to get it placed, maybe it could just be made that if you have a room below the freezing point, throwing(splashing) a beaker with hot water to make snow. Usually requires colder temperatures for such quick snow creations, but that doesn't matter for this.

I will have my team of expert coders look into this when making the PR

• eyes 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so super late to the party - but I wanna say this : 

I was really happy about being able to craft cones at first - but it very quickly faded to it just not being special anymore. Just something to keep in mind - if you have a cool project, and a snow machine would fit it well - don't be afraid to try and pray for it !

BIt different though. Cones are available every round in maints. This thing is just straight up impossible to get for most of the literal irl year. And their use is much more niche than a classic greytide headgear. We don't need them to feel special.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AllStickySocks said:

New gameplan is making a snow chemistry recipe. You can splash this on the floor and if you splashed (insert amount here) units it creates snow.

So the nerf that ice splashing desperately needs?

On 7/30/2021 at 11:16 AM, AllStickySocks said:

Very quick and simple. Is anyone against having snow machines year round instead of them being a Christmas only thing? I really want to make my drask paradise room and have snowball fights.

Yes, I'm against it.
Snow really makes zero sense indoors, especially indoors on a space station.
While in theory you can create it with a machine, why would you? In practice it'd just make getting around onerous, not to mention issues with temperature, visibility, etc.
Also, having it year round would make the xmas period less special.

21 hours ago, AllStickySocks said:

image.png.74c8b7c6537681f13f3e18763c0d02e4.png
Mission failed, we'll get 'em next time.

New gameplan is making a snow chemistry recipe. You can splash this on the floor and if you splashed (insert amount here) units it creates snow.

What about this? @KyetThe amount of units used per snow tile is what could keep it from being intrusive for other players.

If having to use copious amounts of materials to make brass rooms doesn't stop me, I'm very sure it won't stop or limit players from coating massive spaces with snow.

3 hours ago, Spacemanspark said:

If having to use copious amounts of materials to make brass rooms doesn't stop me, I'm very sure it won't stop or limit players from coating massive spaces with snow.

Copper is a pure dispenser chem and metal is everywhere however 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spacemanspark said:

what would you sensibly put into a snow-based chemical reaction that would prevent players from spamming the hell out of it with ease?

1 part Cryostylane

1 part Water

1 part Adminfreeze

• explodyparrot 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use