Admins stance on maintenance cameras

Charliminator

What do admins think of people constructing cameras in maints? when/when are they not okay. can maint drones make them? is it powergaming? a couple different admins have given me different answers and I always feel weird ahelping about it because there is no general consensus on it. 

I would love to hear the communities/admins/heads thoughts on this.

In my opinion I believe they shouldn't be built on blue/green under the powergaming rule.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally feel it should fall under the powergaming rules. Especially for maintenance drones, as this sort of thing violates the spirit purpose behind them being a thing. 

It's done explicitly to prevent antagonists from 'winning' and is fairly poor form. The only exception I can see is if an antagonist has obliterated security and the last line of defense is the AI. 

• Like 3

The only reason they are built is to try and facilitate redtexting antags. There is a reason these areas have no cameras from a map design standpoint. The AI can already be overbearing as an antag, letting them see into maints is just pain.

One thing that should probably be noted (although admittedly I've never seen one do this) is that the AI can be an antagonist too, and a malfunctioning AI would benefit greatly from maintenance cameras. They actually have an IC reason to build them as well.

Just now, SabreML said:

One thing that should probably be noted (although admittedly I've never seen one do this) is that the AI can be an antagonist too, and a malfunctioning AI would benefit greatly from maintenance cameras. They actually have an IC reason to build them as well.

There are a few small instances where cameras in maintenance would be fine, this technically being one such situation. However, by doing this in an environment where this sort of thing typically wouldn't be allowed would likely only end up with the AI being meta'd.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AffectedArc07 said:

tldr

no

no what? no its not powergaming? no the rules aren't going to be elaborated on/changed?

1 minute ago, Charliminator said:

no what? no its not powergaming? no the rules aren't going to be elaborated on/changed?

No as in my opinion of whether it should be done or not is no. I doubt the rules will be changed, but it is something I dislike.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spacemanspark said:

fall under the powergaming rules

If there's an actual threat that somehow requires this, that's one thing - same as any other response and preparedness. It very much counts as 'overprepared'. If there's something very bad like slings, or cult are continually using the incinerator as a base - then it comes under 'an attempt to fight back', and thus should only be done with authorisation, overseen by security etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, necaladun said:

If there's an actual threat that somehow requires this, that's one thing - same as any other response and preparedness. It very much counts as 'overprepared'. If there's something very bad like slings, or cult are continually using the incinerator as a base - then it comes under 'an attempt to fight back', and thus should only be done with authorisation, overseen by security etc. 

Agreed. My stance is concerning contextless, pre-emptive situations. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spacemanspark said:

My stance is concerning contextless, pre-emptive situations. 

Very much this. Escalate things based on the context - nuke ops coming? Go nuts to spot them. Antag hanging in one area being trouble? Sure.

Pre-emptive escalation is shitty, but doing it in direct response to a specific threat is something else entirely. 

• Like 1

So as a targeted response in small areas its okay? 

What about larger areas? Like the entirety of maint because of vampires? I apologize if I'm asking too many questions I just don't want to ahelp and look a fool

12 hours ago, Charliminator said:

What do admins think of people constructing cameras in maints? when/when are they not okay. can maint drones make them? is it powergaming? a couple different admins have given me different answers and I always feel weird ahelping about it because there is no general consensus on it. 

I would love to hear the communities/admins/heads thoughts on this.

In my opinion I believe they shouldn't be built on blue/green under the powergaming rule.

On green, its considered powergaming, and not okay.

On red (ie: with a known threat) its permissible.

Drones should probably not do it regardless of code level. They should focus on repairs. Drones installing new cameras comes across as ghosts just trying to make the antags fail.

• Like 5

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use