Complaint to Whomever it May Concern

LtGerbal

CKey: Lt. Gerbal

Nature of complaint: Severely kneecapping the supermatter engine.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but this is where I was deferred. Over the past month or so, the supermatter engine has been artificially nerfed so hard, there's no point to do anything special with it. When I say "artificially nerfed" I am referring to a merge that affected the radiation spread range of the singulo. I can't confirm it, but after this was merged, the SM started to push radiation all the way up to hardsuit storage at 3.3k EER and I believe it was because of this merge. I tried to find the merge number, but I couldn't. This is the github link for the complaint. Submitted on my behalf by one of the mentors, I believe. 

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/issues/16349

Once again, I cannot confirm this is the case, but I have no other explanation for why the radiation was traveling so far. I like to think I was fairly patient with the team on waiting for them to help fix this. I started putting geigers out to show people radiation was present and I tried to make protective gear more available ever since I found this was an issue.

The latest merge made me decide that complaining to SOMEONE was necessary.

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/16147

For those who are unfamiliar, here's the important takeaway for the last merge: The radiation in this merge is DRASTICALLY more deadly than usual. 

This added potency combined with the extended range of the radiation has made life hell for engineering and has turned medical into a wasteland on more than one occasion.

I'm okay with more potent radiation. I would love it for engineers to listen to me about rad gear for once, but please fix the radiation spread issue first.

I know these things take time, but this severe radiation and extended range is something that cannot be ignored for long.

I recognize that I could just make less powerful engines, but that defeats the purpose of the engine, in my opinion. What's the point of having something that can make so much power if you can't safely make that power?

I've put a lot of time into the engine and to have to be forced to ignore all the more advanced and powerful information I learned because of this feels unfair.

Please consider this. Please take your time. And pretty please hurry.

Hey there, I don't know if I'm allowed to post here, but I can answer this for you. The change to radiation isn't actually intentional, and it's getting fixed and looked at again really soon. See here for more details on that.

edit: Apologies to staff if i'm not allowed to post here! :P

Also to clarify, some of the changes to radiation were intentional but others weren't, and the one you're talking about seems like it's one of the unintentional ones.

I hope this helps!

Edited by ExusA
  • Like 1

We're aware of the issue with the recent increase in rads from the recent PR, and ansari has made a revert for it - https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/16445

The Supermatter is a WIP, and will take quite some time to get to the levels we're happy with. We want it to be dangerous, but sustainable. It's a hard balance to get. We've been constantly tweaking this game for years, and there's never been a time when we're happy with the levels of everything.

4 hours ago, LtGerbal said:

Please take your time. And pretty please hurry.

Yeah, we can't do both. That's ridiculous.

Our coders are unpaid volunteers. This kind of attitude is exactly what has turned off so many, and why they are so hesitant to engage in a lot of mass communication with the community. Please remember there are actual human beings - again, unpaid volunteers - doing the work here, and this kinda of attitude can be very demotivating.

In general, you can message heads about this kind of thing or ask in coding chat in future. There's also a forum for code discussions. 

Ps

@ExusAlike you're not supposed to but what you said was dead on so I'll let it pass.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use