Complaint against necalodun's resolution of prior complaint

katierussland

Admin(s) Key: necaladun, Meow19
Your ckey (Byond username): Ekaterina von Russland
Your Discord name (if applicable): Not applicable

Date(s) of incident (GMT preferred): 5h00 London time

Nature of complaint: feedback, other (improper resolution of complaint), misconduct (minor)

Prior complaint in question: 

Links to all relevant ban appeals for any bans related to this complaint: Not applicable

Brief description:
Unsatisfactory resolution of complaint. Opening a window that people close with no second thought is not a substitute for asking for what you want.

Full description of events:
During the resolution of the above complaint, necalodun falsely takes as a premise that opening a pop-up window is the same as asking for a reply, falsely takes as a premise that players do not instantly close pop-up windows blocking their view of the screen, and insults me ("petulant"). Naturally, having taken false premises as true, a wrong conclusion is reached. Even if you disagree with my full assessment regarding Meow19, it seems clear that he is at least partially at fault.

Addressing the response to my complaint:

If you think having a window forced open so you can respond to a warning is abuse

Having a window that covers half my screen forced open, which I closed without a second thought (and a few minutes of browsing your forums show I am not the only one with this issue (see below)), then acting like it was supposed to be the same as asking for a reply, if not abuse, is at least misconduct.

Also this seems to imply that I need the window open to reply, which I don't. The message also shows up in the chat, where it does in every other server, and where I expect messages to show up, not in a pop-up window that's particular to this server, to which, as I stated, I was new, and logically unaccustomed to its particularities.

You were frozen until a reply showing you'd acknowledged the warning was given.

I was frozen before he even asked for a reply. Instead of simply sending me a PM saying something to the effect of "Did you see my message?" or "Did you understand?", he made windows appear covering half my screen, with no indicator that was caused by a human and not a software error, somehow expected me not to instantly close them, attacked my character and only after all that did he bother to ask for a reply.

No harm was done here

"No harm" except damaging my character right as the other miners and I were preparing for a fight, because who needs health in a fight? I was understandably pissed.

act as if you're some victim of 'abuse' here

What do you call freezing someone with no prior explanation if not "abuse"?

Instead of reply say, "No problem, I'll reply in future.". You instead chose to reply

I did. I was angry. Would you not be after you had been attacked seemingly for no reason only THEN for the admin to say what he wants? Imagine if someone was robbing you and first beat you up and only AFTER told you he wanted your money, how would you feel?

Clearly 'reply to the message' never occurred to you

Correct, because instead of clearly telling me he wanted a reply, he proceeded to give unclear signals (read: make windows appear) (which, as stated, at the time I didn't even realise were done on purpose but thought were just the game being buggy, as I expect any new player accustomed to old buggy software would).

Attachments:

1: Supplementing the above claim, proof that "I am not the only one [who instantly closes pop-up windows]":

As for a giant square taking up my screen, I probably did click it down without a second thought upon reflection, given I've never seen anything ever like that in my life of playing SS13.

Source: https://www.paradisestation.org/forum/topic/21105-unban-appeal-i-dont-know-how-this-fuckin-works/?tab=comments#comment-157336

2: Supplementing reasoning for filing this complaint:

If you have issue with how the complaint was handled submit a new one, against the Head of Staff, explaining why you feel the situation wasn't resolved and the other two Heads of Staff will review it.

Source: https://www.paradisestation.org/forum/topic/20258-admin-complaint-shift-25751/?do=findComment&comment=152905

• Salt 1

The other headmins will have to be the ones to resolve this - something they'll surely appreciate - but let me address a few things here.

Overall:

You're behaving much like a 'Karen' and generally being incredibly whiny and petulant about something that could simply be resolved by you saying 'oh sorry it won't happen again' and realising you made a mistake and misinterpreted things.

You're exactly the kind of player I don't want on this server, making a huge deal over...being messaged by an admin, a few windows popping up, and getting frozen.

You fucked up in an incredibly minor way, were given a very minor warning, and have blown this out to be a huge deal of 'abuse' and have managed to get yourself banned.

Specifically:

Admin-freezing does no damage. 

Most people expect an acknowledgement of a warning or some form of reply when they initiate conversation with you. It's just basic manners.

If this is the kind of thing that gets you angry, then grow up.

Finally:

22 minutes ago, katierussland said:

Imagine if someone was robbing you and first beat you up and only AFTER told you he wanted your money, how would you feel?

This here shows how amazingly out of touch with reality you are. You weren't robbed and beaten up, you were...temporarily frozen in a video game 'cause you didn't respond to multiple messages and attempts to communicate. Get a grip.

• Like 4
  • eyes 1
  • explodyparrot 1

30 minutes ago, necaladun said:

You're behaving much like a 'Karen' and generally being incredibly whiny and petulant

34 minutes ago, necaladun said:

If this is the kind of thing that gets you angry, then grow up.

More insults. How professional of you, it really shows you're unbiased and fair.

31 minutes ago, necaladun said:

You're exactly the kind of player I don't want on this server

That's fine. I have no intention of coming back to more of this abuse, especially after you've condoned it. I'd just like the one I already experienced sorted out.

32 minutes ago, necaladun said:

Admin-freezing does no damage. 

I specifically remember it not being at 100%. I'll acknowledge that maybe it wasn't him and my assumption that it was may have been false, you'd know what commands here do better than I would.

35 minutes ago, necaladun said:

You (...) have managed to get yourself banned.

Blame the victim. Was what I was wearing too revealing, by the way?

• clown 7
  • derp 1

10 minutes ago, katierussland said:

You weren't raped. Grow the fuck up. You acted like a donk and got banned from an SS13 server here. You aren't the victim of a rape or mugging - you were told to leave a server because you're carrying on like a donk. Comparing yourself to a victim of sexual assault or mugging shows you have absolutely no grasp on reality, and is frankly insulting to people who have experienced such things.

Get professional help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

You aren't the victim of a rape or mugging 

Nor did I ever say I was. Are you familiar with the concept of an analogy? High time you were.

44 minutes ago, necaladun said:

@Kyet @Dumbdumn5 feel free to just close this with some variation of 'comparing getting frozen in an ss13 to a victim of sexual assault is not worthy of any response'. 

Not only do you reply in an extremely unprofessional manner, including but not limited to insults, you then invite your fellow Heads of Staff to do so, but please, do tell me all about how you're unbiased and fair and about how I'm wrong in every single way.

The fact that you have a formal complaints process is admirable, more so in that you can file complaints against head admins, but it means nothing if you don't take it seriously and give this kind of response.

• Salt 2

Yeah, we're unpaid amateurs here. Professionalism I reserve for people who deserve it, or if I'm getting paid. Rule 0 should make it pretty clear what level of professionalism we deal with here.

I'll reiterate - you're blowing this way out of proportion with your bullshit analogies and victim complex. You acted like a donk over possibly the most minor thing an admin has ever spoken to someone about, and managed to escalate it into a ban. It's frankly impressive.

I'll lock this now until one of the other heads gets around to it. If you want to whine more though and speak to my manager after you've spoken to Meow's, Exadv1 is more than happy for you to whine about how you're a victim of such awful abuse.

• Thanks 2

Alright, I've been out a bit too long, so this is a decent warmup. If we're going to play thesaurus tag, I'll be glad to needlessly extend the variety of my diction in order to provide the illusion I'm both knowledgeable and more professional than my crimson-hued colleague.

4 hours ago, katierussland said:

During the resolution of the above complaint, necalodun falsely takes as a premise that opening a pop-up window is the same as asking for a reply, falsely takes as a premise that players do not instantly close pop-up windows blocking their view of the screen, and insults me ("petulant").

Though you took personal offense to your previous interactions with Necaladun, your prior complaint was rife with innumerable falsehoods and as a result, had seemingly been composed in bad faith in order to stoke vitriol in the staff body rather than promoting candid discussion of the events which transpired in your interactions with our administrator-in-training. Instinct from pop-up laden websites may dictate that you should close windows encroaching rapidly upon your screenspace, yet in your unfamiliarity with the software and culture within which you chose to voluntarily participate, reading what was present on a non-advertising window which had not hitherto presented itself to you at that moment and realizing that one of the only functions with a proper button present had been labelled "Reply" may have provided you with the inclination that you were intended to reply to the message after having read it given the functionality provided by that window.

Naturally, having taken false premises as true, a wrong conclusion is reached. Even if you disagree with my full assessment regarding Meow19, it seems clear that he is at least partially at fault.

These premises, though they may be considered false in other domains of the Interconnected Network, are more frequently true in the Build Your Own Net Dream client, which woefully possesses functionality built into the Internet Explorer website browser and tends to be rife with artifacts of a bygone era, including less polished menus and windows, which you would be privy to had you interacted with enough portions of the game to consider picking the mining role, as nearly every other menu in the game similarly presents itself as a pop-up menu, which, in order to interact with them, you could not have closed immediately on instinct under the presumption that such was an error in the game's programming, and that may have also lead you to anticipate that the arrival of this new menu may involve a similar process to the ones present prior to the moment the administrator-in-training was attempting to reach you.

As an individual myself, I disagree with your assessment regarding the administrator-in-training, as the connotation of much of your diction leans heavily towards expressions of anger and frustration, rather than productive discourse. In observing the prior complaint, your writing took on mannerisms of ill-tempered and aggressively assertive individuals which are commonplace in retail occupations for their high-flung patterns of speech and false-professionalism, which is often used in such a manner as to browbeat employees with a lengthy diatribe before attempting to contact managerial staff with the intention to spread falsehoods or exaggerated inconveniences in order to potentially cause the aforementioned employee to be ejected from their earned position.

Though I understand that you were uncomfortable with the outcome of your interactions, approaching the complaint with humility and anticipating a potential misunderstanding while also firmly stating your displeasure at your treatment would have provided to the environment of our communication back to you in a far more positive fashion in comparison to the more aggressive statement you had approached with. I may suggest that taking time to ease your nerves and considering that peppering your position with impertinent insinuations isn't conducive to a flourishing interaction with the remainder of the staff body.

Having a window that covers half my screen forced open, which I closed without a second thought (and a few minutes of browsing your forums show I am not the only one with this issue (see below)), then acting like it was supposed to be the same as asking for a reply, if not abuse, is at least misconduct.

As per my aforementioned comment on the window's functionality, and speaking from a point of wholly individual experience on my behalf, the vast majority of the game's systems are based upon archaic systems that provide little to no warning of their arrival when compared to their more modern cousins present in other video entertainment and media. The source cited within your post, though following proper format, does not speak to the majority of individuals who interact with the reply system for the first time, and instead inaccurately provides an example of another outspoken outlier, who in similar, though far more uncouth fashion, made the mistake on their part an issue with all other persons outside themselves.

Given that our handbook for newly arrived administrators-in-training specifically dictates the approach taken by Mr.Meow, I regret to inform you that such an action is similarly incomparable to incompetence or misconduct of any form or fashion, and is in fact aligned with the basest standard practices and procedures of this staff body.

Also this seems to imply that I need the window open to reply, which I don't. The message also shows up in the chat, where it does in every other server, and where I expect messages to show up, not in a pop-up window that's particular to this server, to which, as I stated, I was new, and logically unaccustomed to its particularities.

Though you don't require that implement to reply to an administrator, a pop-up window serves as a means to gain one's attention through a sudden and unexpected arrival of a menu or window onto one's video output device. Had you responded to the administrator in the chat window originally, the altercation between you and the administrator-in-training would have ceased to be a potentiality, this complaint and its predecessor would have been null, and your weave of fate would have been restored to a mundane and less conflict-stricken state than it is at this present moment.

Given your recent arrival to this software and its particularities, you as an individual could have formatted your original complaint in a fashion that accentuates your inexperience rather than one that suggests incompetence or malcontent from the administrator-in-training who was far more adept at the particularities held within this software in comparison to you yourself as an individual.

I was frozen before he even asked for a reply. Instead of simply sending me a PM saying something to the effect of "Did you see my message?" or "Did you understand?", he made windows appear covering half my screen, with no indicator that was caused by a human and not a software error, somehow expected me not to instantly close them, attacked my character and only after all that did he bother to ask for a reply.

It has been shown by our server logging software that the attempt to seek your reply was made several times within a period of ten minutes and that, only when it came to the third instance of your failure to reply did the administrator-in-training, Mr.Meow, choose to restrict your character's locomotion for a temporary period in the hopes that such inability to act would direct your attention away from the graphical-screen and towards the text-based communication you were presented with. It was never the fault of the administrator-in-training that you were unfamiliar, but it is perfectly justifiable to state that there had been a misunderstanding as to the purpose of the pop-up window and the restraint exercise when presented with the opportunity to voice your complaints about such process on our forum.

I will however reaffirm that your statements regarding attacking your character are falsehoods, as the administrative command pertaining to restraining individuals not only prevents the accruement of damage to a character from the restraint itself, but additionally prevents other individuals from interacting with a restrained character, complete with an animated graphical overlay applied to your digital avatar with the word 'ADMIN' explicitly shown so as to prevent any confusion as to whether this sudden restraint was caused by a member of administrative staff, constituting an out of character punitive event within which you were directly involved, or an in-character moment of collapse that such individuals could take advantage of to produce bodily harm for your un-enthusiastic consumption.

"No harm" except damaging my character right as the other miners and I were preparing for a fight, because who needs health in a fight? I was understandably pissed.

Once again I reiterate my statements prior to this particular point, directing your attention, if it should please you, to the arguments made regarding the quote I had taken from your argument above. I disagree personally as an individual that your frustrated or ill-tempered response to the circumstances was fully justified, at least in a lasting fashion, as such a disturbance is easily remedied and altogether temporary, leading me to suspect that your attitude approaching the situation at length was unjustified by the circumstances surrounding your behavior and your interaction with Mr.Meow, the administrator-in-training.

What do you call freezing someone with no prior explanation if not "abuse"?

Abuse as it pertains to the administrative role is indicated by an intentional and malicious use of power for purposes not related to their administrative function or the unintentional misuse of power on a grand scale that provided to the detriment of an individual's experience within a 'round' of the game space station thirteen on the paradise station build your own net dream server. This is often reserved for exceptional misconduct rather than the comparatively minor incident this particular complaint's predecessor was based upon. As such, your accusations of misconduct are an inappropriate designation for this administrator-in-training's behavior.

5 hours ago, katierussland said:

I did. I was angry. Would you not be after you had been attacked seemingly for no reason only THEN for the admin to say what he wants? Imagine if someone was robbing you and first beat you up and only AFTER told you he wanted your money, how would you feel?

Though momentary frustration and confusion may be expected, I would direct you to the discussion on character harm I have provided two quotes from your own discussion above this quote, as it should illuminate your understanding of the administrative commands at our disposal and their function. I understand that such differences from standard procedure may be frustrating to a newcomer, yet such problems are temporary and inoffensive enough to not warrant rage of this scale. Uncomfortable as it may be, such actions are incomparable to theft given your clever, but I find inappropriate use of allusions, as they are minor inconveniences lasting only short moments as opposed to the threat of one's life and wellbeing and their personal wealth.

5 hours ago, katierussland said:

Correct, because instead of clearly telling me he wanted a reply, he proceeded to give unclear signals (read: make windows appear) (which, as stated, at the time I didn't even realise were done on purpose but thought were just the game being buggy, as I expect any new player accustomed to old buggy software would).

Once again I will reiterate the objectionable portions of your argument, as though your interaction was potentially confounding given your recent arrival to both this archaic software and this venue of entertainment, after understanding that such measures were taken in an attempt to elicit a reply from your individual personage, you could have simply mentioned that you had seen the message prior and did not intend to make such a slip-up previously and you could have just as easily used your pattern-seeking biology to note down this particular pattern of behavior in the event that you had further altercations necessitating replies to administrative staff on this gameserver without mention of it. Instead you chose to see the altercation altogether as an attack warranting two complaints to members of staff opposing your position.

More insults. How professional of you, it really shows you're unbiased and fair.

Provided your previous attitude and your frequent insinuations, the response of Necaladun containing insults was likely unintended for the presentations of professionalism, a lack of bias, and your own sense of fairness. However, it was intended as an uncouth mirroring of your diction which has connotations similar to one looking down their nose at an establishment that had mildly slighted or irritated them to an exaggerated point, bordering on what seemed to be a sense of superior moral standing. Though insults are unprofessional, Necaladun is not able to manage this complaint solely by his own terms, and as such, must rely on one of the other head administrators to pass judgement.

That's fine. I have no intention of coming back to more of this abuse, especially after you've condoned it. I'd just like the one I already experienced sorted out.

Complaints made with the intention of vengeance rather than for the sake of the server's improvement are rarely meritous as they often include personal frustrations or statements that far exaggerate and exceed any action or interpretation of action presented by the staff team. Though many of your statements have merit to their confusing nature, they do not justify on their own your further attitude and behavior, nor warrant the complaints you've presented.

I specifically remember it not being at 100%. I'll acknowledge that maybe it wasn't him and my assumption that it was may have been false, you'd know what commands here do better than I would.

Here you demonstrate full-well your capability to observe administrative behavior as a misunderstanding rather than a slight against your individual status or as an act of misconduct. Approaching the entire situation as somebody seeking understanding or refutation of a particular course of action rather than coming across as frustrated or professional in the least flattering sense of the word would be a welcome change, as it would allow for good faith arguments between both parties and our mutual understanding. Nevertheless, I do appreciate your candid acknowledgement of potential misunderstanding.

Though you were provided a number of reasons as to the declination of your prior complaint and issues with this present complaint, your comparison to getting your access restricted from this gameserver and being sexually assaulted is a profoundly disturbing analogy, as your restricted access came as the result of your attitude and behavior when dealing with administrative staff and actions you yourself took, and was not the result of some other person forcibly overpowering you and changing your firewall settings for eternity. Your insinuation that the two are even remotely comparable is a gross exaggeration of the impact being removed from a server pertaining to video entertainment when compared to such a life-altering, traumatic, and scarring event.

3 hours ago, katierussland said:

Nor did I ever say I was. Are you familiar with the concept of an analogy? High time you were.

Though you were not directly stating that this altercation had done either to you, the use of analogies, as I'm sure you are well aware given your familiarity with the concept, is to liken an experience to another due to their similarities and magnitude. For instance, if I were to say that the consumption of my favorite sugared food substance was comparable to a refreshing drink of water on a particularly humid and high-temperatured day during the peak of my region's annual sunlight exposure, I would not be incorrect as to me such an experience would be equally as pleasurable, and, as such experience is individualized, it would be hard to disprove. However, if I were to state that walking down the street as a perfectly functioning and healthy male individual of young age was much like being gutted and filleted by early barbarians of yore and that simply staring out of my own ocular receptors were alike pouring boiling oil into my bodily orofices, I would be making a gross and provably false exaggeration that happens to be nothing alike the experience I had actually undergone, especially when compared to the common experience of such a task.

Should the interactions you've had in this series of complaints and staff dealings disturb you to the point you would personally find it as distressing as sexual assault and theft, I would urge you to seek professional psychological or psychiatric aid, as these experiences are not commonly so distressing as to cause such an adverse and profound reaction.

Not only do you reply in an extremely unprofessional manner, including but not limited to insults, you then invite your fellow Heads of Staff to do so, but please, do tell me all about how you're unbiased and fair and about how I'm wrong in every single way.

I would implore you to look exactly five quotes prior to this quote for my explanation for the manner with which Necaladun has addressed you, however, I would also like to state that you are not simply 'wrong in every way'. The attitude with which you have approached these interactions, however, is less conducive to productive discussion than you may have initially suspected, and is frequently comparable, in the experience of one such as myself with roughly a decade of experience on this platform, to one attempting to create unnecessary dramatic tension despite the rather mundane circumstances from which their complaints originated. As a result, the few meritous points your interactions have had, such as the potential for newcomers to be confused by the archaic and unpolished menus software such as the ones the Build Your Own Net Dream engine produces, is drowned out by an otherwise pompous attitude towards your treatment and your demands for its resolution.

The fact that you have a formal complaints process is admirable, more so in that you can file complaints against head admins, but it means nothing if you don't take it seriously and give this kind of response.

The formal complaints process is intended for complaints of significant weight and merit, but we lack a third-party to verify our interactions, and as such, must rely on other members of staff to handle the complaints against other members. Each complaint is taken seriously, but as most individuals present on the staff team are, at least to an extent, human, their interactions with those lodging complaints may be impacted by emotions brought on by the response of other individuals from the diction and behavior of those involved in the complaint process. Please understand that such unprofessionalism comes as a result of this individual's interactions with you and his interpretation of your behavior.

For the sake of continued discussion, I will unlock this thread to allow for your rebuttal and in order to clear up any misunderstandings you may have had. If you wish to continue this discussion at any point, please feel free to contact me through the use of the community discord guild or through direct forum messaging.

Thank you for your complaint, and have a gratifying diurnal course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9
  • eyes 2
  • clown 1
  • toolbox 1
  • fastparrot 4
  • dead 1
  • bap 1
  • derp 4

That was amazing. That whole text wall was amazing. It's been a long time since I've read something at or near this level of quality. I'd been holding off on checking on this thread as I'd expected nothing more than a continuation of the hostility and insults I'd received before, but to find this absolute jewel instead... it's wonderful.

If we're going to play thesaurus tag, I'll be glad to needlessly extend the variety of my diction in order to provide the illusion I'm both knowledgeable and more professional than my crimson-hued colleague.

I find the insinuation that less common terms are only used to create illusions of superiority to be quite preposterous. 

Knowing neither of you personally, I can't speak to how knowledgeable you are, but based on these past interactions, including those in this very thread, it is no illusion that you are more professional than your colleague.

On 7/19/2021 at 5:49 PM, Dumbdumn5 said:

nearly every other menu in the game similarly presents itself as a pop-up menu

While this may be the case, most other windows in the game, with the notable exception of the character customisation one, do not take up such a large portion of the screen. Further, these windows are created as the direct result of the player clicking on something, which is not the case in the situation being evaluated.

approaching the complaint with humility and anticipating a potential misunderstanding while also firmly stating your displeasure at your treatment would have provided to the environment of our communication back to you in a far more positive fashion in comparison to the more aggressive statement you had approached with

I resent your insinuation. My original complaint was nothing if not professional, necaladun's hostility was unwarranted entirely.

Given that our handbook for newly arrived administrators-in-training specifically dictates the approach taken by Mr.Meow, I regret to inform you that such an action is similarly incomparable to incompetence or misconduct of any form or fashion, and is in fact aligned with the basest standard practices and procedures of this staff body.

Being now equipped with this knowledge that he had been expected carry out this maneuver, as opposed to my previous (as of the original complaint, after inferring it was not a software error) assumption that he was just being lazy or anti-social (hitting a button instead of writing a new message stating he was expecting a reply), I can understand why Meow19 would treat this as normal and not understand my frustration with his handling of the situation.

Given your recent arrival to this software and its particularities, you as an individual could have formatted your original complaint in a fashion that accentuates your inexperience rather than one that suggests incompetence or malcontent from the administrator-in-training who was far more adept at the particularities held within this software in comparison to you yourself as an individual.

That would've been both dishonest and unnatural, given that it was my honest belief at the time, and up until such a point where your message clarified that the administrator handbook recommended this, that he acting out of malice, incompetence, indolence, or a combination of the three.

I will however reaffirm that your statements regarding attacking your character are falsehoods, as the administrative command pertaining to restraining individuals not only prevents the accruement of damage to a character from the restraint itself

While I have since been informed of this fact, my behaviour at the time was undoubtedly shaped by the mistaken understanding that he had in fact damaged my character, and not only that but also neglected to repair it after he was done conversing with me.

This is often reserved for exceptional misconduct rather than the comparatively minor incident this particular complaint's predecessor was based upon. As such, your accusations of misconduct are an inappropriate designation for this administrator-in-training's behavior.

Omitting his liberal usage of permanent bans, I would be tempted to agree, though I'd still forward feedback that he ought to respond in a less hostile fashion to a player closing a window rather than acting as though it is a personal attack on him (he openly called it "ignoring him"), and improve his spelling. Curiously, much of what you said about my attitude in my complaint(s) could also be said about his handling of the situation.

Not omitting it, however, the designation of "abuse" seems more than adequate.

after understanding that such measures [pop-up windows] were taken in an attempt to elicit a reply from your individual personage

That did not happen until after, while I was filing my original complaint, and as such could not have modified the way in which I replied to his messages.

you could have simply mentioned that you had seen the message prior

As it stands, I did mention it. One of the first things I said was "I saw your message", which you can confirm, should you wish to, in your logs, and should you not have access to them for any reason, I can provide you with mine, as I transcribed the entire chat into a text file should it later be needed as evidence or for reference.

However, it was intended as an uncouth mirroring of your diction

Were he to "mirror my diction", he would've replied in a professional manner, which is not what happened. Necaladun flagrantly and openly insulted me, and on more than one occasion. This was mentioned in this complaint as "misconduct (minor)", as it had only taken place once as of me writing that complaint, but was elevated to a higher degree and repeated in replies to this very complaint, and would by now have a much more central role.

Necaladun is not able to manage this complaint solely by his own terms, and as such, must rely on one of the other head administrators to pass judgement.

I am aware of this, as noted in the second attachment to this complaint. This fact does not preclude that necaladun could've published a response not including insults and other inadequate behaviour.

Complaints made with the intention of vengeance rather than for the sake of the server's improvement are rarely meritous

As the kids have taken to saying recently, "why not both? "

"Vengeance" does not appear out of nowhere, but rather it follows a slight or perceived slight, as you know. In the case of the former, several possible resolutions could simultaneously resolve it and improve the server.

However, if I were to state that walking down the street as a perfectly functioning and healthy male individual of young age was much like being gutted and filleted by early barbarians of yore (...), I would be making a gross and provably false exaggeration (...) especially when compared to the common experience of such a task.

Alas, this is precisely what you state I have made: a false analogy. Whereas walking down the street includes no attack on your person, being frozen and banned does constitute an attack on me, even if it is to a much lesser degree than being robbed. A comparison between two events of the same class but of varying degrees is not inherently illegitimate. I believe you'd agree, for example, comparing an unarmed fight between two men to a battle, or comparing a group of 20 men to an army, while clearly these are not equal, may constitute a valid analogy.

While your reply has given me a new perspective regarding Meow19's actions, necaladun's handling of the situation remains grossly inadequate. Not only did he not give my complaint proper consideration, brushing my concerns off as insignificant, not only did he reply in an unprofessional manner, not only did he make a mockery of the entire complaints process in this thread, he insulted me several times, all examples of his misconduct. A proper handling of the situation was evidently possible, as your own exemplary reply demonstrates. 

Speaking of your exemplary reply, reading it was very enjoyable. I hope it was also enjoyable for you to write it, and that it wasn't excessively laborious.

• bap 1

53 minutes ago, katierussland said:

That was amazing. That whole text wall was amazing. It's been a long time since I've read something at or near this level of quality. I'd been holding off on checking on this thread as I'd expected nothing more than a continuation of the hostility and insults I'd received before, but to find this absolute jewel instead... it's wonderful.

53 minutes ago, katierussland said:

Speaking of your exemplary reply, reading it was very enjoyable. I hope it was also enjoyable for you to write it, and that it wasn't excessively laborious.

I greatly appreciate your commendation of my composition and would indeed indicate that I took great personal pleasure in its production over a period of approximately two periods roughly equating to one twenty-fourth of a single mean solar day. Due to my attendance at a university of fair to middling renown, I am frequently requested to conceive of evermore long-winded rebukes and affirmations of myriad literature, not the least of which includes subjects of significant controversial discourse.

2 hours ago, katierussland said:

While this may be the case, most other windows in the game, with the notable exception of the character customization one, do not take up such a large portion of the screen. Further, these windows are created as the direct result of the player clicking on something, which is not the case in the situation being evaluated.

From personal experience, at the moment one loads onto the Paradise Space Station 13 server they are greeted with a menu produced in the center of their screen with no prior warning or indication over other text, and that the character creation menu (as you so mentioned), in-game monitors, crew manifests, maps, medical scanners and monitors, and PDA systems are of comparable if slightly smaller dimensions as the in-game administrator private messaging window. This is not to say, however, that you are incorrect in your assertion that such menus are produced, in most part, by direct player action. However, though such actions are uncommon, the instinct to close such a window is not necessarily entirely justified by this behavior, though it is certainly more explainable. Given that the majority of interactions where such a button is used on players unfamiliar with the administrative processes of the Paradise Space Station 13 game server function seamlessly and do not result in frequent misunderstandings and admin complaints beyond your few presented examples, I would disagree that cases such as this one are frequent enough to demand substantial changes to the system as it presently operates.

59 minutes ago, katierussland said:

I find the insinuation that less common terms are only used to create illusions of superiority to be quite preposterous. 

Though with regard to individual experience as one so evidently a participant in such use (or to some a misuse) of the written-word, such use of unconventional terms is frequently associated with members of a pretentious, pedantic breed. Though it may not undeniably exemplify your inner aspects as an individual, it is nevertheless a common understanding and experience of those frequently surrounded by others attempting to socialize in an increasingly intellectually competitive society such as the one provided in our modern world.

1 hour ago, katierussland said:

I resent your insinuation. My original complaint was nothing if not professional, necaladun's hostility was unwarranted entirely.

My own insinuation was predicated upon that common assumption that one who uses such a vocabulary as you had in your prior grievance falsely employs such phraseology in an effort to circumvent the use of disparaging diction while still seeking to antagonize others without the utilization of conventional innuendo and individually blaspheming expressions, thus acting to provoke individuals unwilling to entertain such niceties themselves, causing them to present as a schmuck in the public consciousness. Necaladun is one such brusque individual not content to engage in such florid discussions, instead opting content to settle matters with language as gruff as his exterior persona, including the application of the aforementioned conventional innuendos and blaspheming expressions used in common and impromptu discussion.

Being now equipped with this knowledge that he had been expected carry out this maneuver, as opposed to my previous (as of the original complaint, after inferring it was not a software error) assumption that he was just being lazy or anti-social (hitting a button instead of writing a new message stating he was expecting a reply), I can understand why Meow19 would treat this as normal and not understand my frustration with his handling of the situation.

That would've been both dishonest and unnatural, given that it was my honest belief at the time, and up until such a point where your message clarified that the administrator handbook recommended this, that he acting out of malice, incompetence, indolence, or a combination of the three.

Provided that these quotations from your rejoinder are indicative of your current understanding of administrative policy, I would imagine that such complaints are now solely levied at Necaladun's conduct and no longer include or insinuate wrong-doing on our administrator-in-training's part beyond their bedside manner with you in private messages? As indicated by your responses immediately following these quotations, I believe this to be the case, however my judgement of these statements may be inadequate.

Omitting his liberal usage of permanent bans, I would be tempted to agree, though I'd still forward feedback that he ought to respond in a less hostile fashion to a player closing a window rather than acting as though it is a personal attack on him (he openly called it "ignoring him"), and improve his spelling. Curiously, much of what you said about my attitude in my complaint(s) could also be said about his handling of the situation.

Not omitting it, however, the designation of "abuse" seems more than adequate.

I would indicate, however, that the majority of bans provided by the Paradise Space Station 13 game server are permanent bans, and as such, are not as severe in their nature as other Space Station 13 game servers where such punitive action is reflective of a desire to bar passage into the game server permanently as their name may imply, which is understandably confusing to those most recently introduced to the Paradise Space Station 13 game server, and as such, does not constitute an abuse of power either, given that such punishment is standard for the majority of punishments where an administrative warning and note are not deemed adequate.

As an explanation for such behavior on the part of the administrative team of the Paradise Space Station 13 game server, such practices were undertaken to avoid one awaiting the end of their banishment without thought or effort, resulting in irreverence to the expectations and regulations of the game server and an increase in repeated offenses from those prevented from connecting to the Paradise Space Station 13 game server in such a manner. Such action demands that one breach the subject on our ongoing online convocation of those interested in matters concerning the Paradise Space Station 13 game server, where one may come to understand and, presumably, come to venerate its guidelines.

That did not happen until after, while I was filing my original complaint, and as such could not have modified the way in which I replied to his messages.

Observe my explanation of such understanding above the prior paragraph and quotation.

As it stands, I did mention it. One of the first things I said was "I saw your message", which you can confirm, should you wish to, in your logs, and should you not have access to them for any reason, I can provide you with mine, as I transcribed the entire chat into a text file should it later be needed as evidence or for reference.

Though included in your message, the quotation of "..???? The hell else am I supposed to do after I read a message other than close the window?" included diction far more provocative than your language presented on this discussion, and as such led one to assume that you possessed problematic tendencies in discussion that necessitated further communication and clarification, whereas if it was straightforwardly 'I saw your message" as you so indicated, such confrontation would not have come to pass.

Were he to "mirror my diction", he would've replied in a professional manner, which is not what happened. Necaladun flagrantly and openly insulted me, and on more than one occasion. This was mentioned in this complaint as "misconduct (minor)", as it had only taken place once as of me writing that complaint, but was elevated to a higher degree and repeated in replies to this very complaint, and would by now have a much more central role.

I understand that Necaladun did not 'mirror your diction' in the literal sense of the word, but that it was mirrored in the sense that such blaspheming diction corresponded to the assumed provocation your use of bombastic language presented provided experience with other individuals intent on misusing such language for overly patronizing formalities intended to provoke rather than intended to act hospitably or respectfully. Given this assumption, that is why I elected to utilize the modifier 'uncouth' to imply that the mirroring did not include the formalities presented in your discussion, instead presenting a far more brusque and straightforward fashion of speech that shared similarities with what was assumed to be belligerence disguised as affability.

I am aware of this, as noted in the second attachment to this complaint. This fact does not preclude that necaladun could've published a response not including insults and other inadequate behaviour.

I would also indicate that the Paradise Space Station 13 game server does not employ administrative guidelines dictating the enforcement of or expectation of professional conduct beyond in-game actions, though it does indicate that one must maintain a respectful environment, which I will agree that Necaladun did not provide to given his brusque demeanor. However, once again I may reiterate that such responses were created under the assumption and potential misunderstanding that your conduct was infact malice disguised as kindness, something that I cannot independently verify and that heavily relies on individual interpretation and experience. As such, I would ask that @necaladunplease express what his individual interpretation of your conduct had been.

As the kids have taken to saying recently, "why not both? "

"Vengeance" does not appear out of nowhere, but rather it follows a slight or perceived slight, as you know. In the case of the former, several possible resolutions could simultaneously resolve it and improve the server.

Though vengeance does not manifest from the ether, it does, however, provide reason to doubt one's insights into the organization or structure they seek to take vengeance upon. However, I do not believe, as per our prior discussion, that the removal of Meow or the reconstruction of the administrative guidelines of the Paradise Space Station 13 game server. would be of benefit when regarding this particular case, as, apart from a handful of cases, such conduct has proven to be effective at managing the conduct of individuals on the game server for roughly four fifths of a decade at this present moment of composition.

Alas, this is precisely what you state I have made: a false analogy. Whereas walking down the street includes no attack on your person, being frozen and banned does constitute an attack on me, even if it is to a much lesser degree than being robbed. A comparison between two events of the same class but of varying degrees is not inherently illegitimate. I believe you'd agree, for example, comparing an unarmed fight between two men to a battle, or comparing a group of 20 men to an army, while clearly these are not equal, may constitute a valid analogy.

I suppose you would be correct in stating that your analogies presented were 'valid' in the sense that they were, by technicality, analogies, however analogies, as is their wont, often involve significantly comparable phenomena, though I suppose the degree of such required significance is individually variable. By an individual measure on my behalf, I would state that I find the discrepancies between sexual assault and theft and being frozen and somewhat annoyed by a pop-up window on digital entertainment media to be too great to constitute significant comparison, and as such, your analogy would fall closer to, if not entirely within the grounds of hyperbolic statement.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your reply and appreciation of my own rebuke and look forward to continued discussion.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dumbdumn5 said:

Necaladun is one such brusque individual not content to engage in such florid discussions, instead opting content to settle matters with language as gruff as his exterior persona, including the application of the aforementioned conventional innuendos and blaspheming expressions used in common and impromptu discussion.

Brevity is the soul of wit etc.

4 hours ago, Dumbdumn5 said:

As such, I would ask that @necaladunplease express what his individual interpretation of your conduct had been.

Kinda cunty. Making a mountain over molehill and...what's the term you used?

On 7/20/2021 at 2:19 AM, Dumbdumn5 said:

In observing the prior complaint, your writing took on mannerisms of ill-tempered and aggressively assertive individuals which are commonplace in retail occupations for their high-flung patterns of speech and false-professionalism, which is often used in such a manner as to browbeat employees with a lengthy diatribe before attempting to contact managerial staff with the intention to spread falsehoods or exaggerated inconveniences in order to potentially cause the aforementioned employee to be ejected from their earned position.

That's the one. Kareny.

• Like 1
  • fastparrot 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do forgive the significant time interval between your reply and this response, I've been especially busy these past two weeks and I hope it's not too bothersome.

(...) given that the majority of interactions where such a button is used on players unfamiliar with the administrative processes of the Paradise Space Station 13 game server function seamlessly and do not result in frequent misunderstandings and admin complaints beyond your few presented examples, I would disagree that cases such as this one are frequent enough to demand substantial changes to the system as it presently operates.

The intention inherent in bringing up this fact was not to imply that substantial change was needed, but rather to provide insight that would lead to understanding the underlying facts that lead to this situation.

(...) such use of unconventional terms is frequently associated with members of a pretentious, pedantic breed (...)

That is not and has never been a valid argument. The fact that [generic bad people] do something does not ipso facto mean anyone who does said thing belongs to such a group. [Generic bad people] also breathe and they also read, this does not make the act of breathing or that of reading inherently evil, as I'm sure you're aware.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:30 AM, Dumbdumn5 said:

I will agree that Necaladun did not provide to given his brusque demeanor. However, once again I may reiterate that such responses were created under the assumption and potential misunderstanding that your conduct was infact malice disguised as kindness

I may have misunderstood, but this seems to have been said with the intention of defending him, where in reality this is only further incrimination. As you just said, without just cause, he made baseless assumptions about my intentions and acted as though I'd filed my complaint in bad faith with no legitimate justification to do so, only prejudice.

(...) that is why I elected to utilize the modifier 'uncouth'

I find this term to be insufficient in relation to any adequate description of necaladun's behaviour - an understatement.

I would imagine that such complaints are now solely levied at Necaladun's conduct and no longer include or insinuate wrong-doing on our administrator-in-training's part beyond their bedside manner with you in private messages? 

This is not correct, though I understand why my message seemed to imply it. As I said, I am no longer certain that he acted out of malice, but this does not mean I am certain he did not. I acknowledge other possible causes for his behaviour, including but not limited to inexperience, but this is a fact that has yet to be ascertained.

(...) included diction far more provocative than your language presented on this discussion (...)

Evidently, as I'm sure you'll agree, quality of one's speech (written or spoken) declines alongside a reduction in time available to prepare. A chat conversation, which requires an immediate response, will have a lesser quality than one in a forum, where an individual has as much time as he may require to write a reply, as made evident by your own statement that you expended over an hour to write your reply. This is also observable in Meow19's own messages, which lack even capitalisation of the pronoun "I", which is not the case in his forum posts.

However, I do not believe, as per our prior discussion, that the removal of Meow (...) would be of benefit when regarding this particular case

While correct, this statement seems to imply that there is nothing else than can be done other than his removal, whereas in reality he can (and should) be reprimanded and given feedback, such that his future dealings with other players will be less likely to result in misunderstanding.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:30 AM, Dumbdumn5 said:

if it was straightforwardly 'I saw your message" as you so indicated, such confrontation would not have come to pass.

This statement assumes adequate behaviour by Meow19, which is an assumption that cannot be made. Instead of simply accepting I'd seen his message, he said "your usage of netspeak, i need you to confirm that you wont use it in the future" (as though it were even possible for an individual to confirm that no accidents would take place without being dishonest - if they were intentional, by definition, they wouldn't be accidents). It was my impression that his intention was to try to humiliate me (and, reading this message, it still seems to be, although I'm not 100% certain now as I was at the time). Attempting to humiliate random players (read: a power trip) is grossly inadequate conduct from an administrator or moderator, and I'd like you to investigate this and determine whether this was in fact his intention.

• derp 2

• 2 weeks later...

Neca's resolution of your original complaint was perfectly reasonable.

Actually, he's been more patient with you here than I would have been.

I am dismissing this complaint as not only without merit, but also as a complete waste of time.

• Thanks 4
  • fastparrot 1
  • bap 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use