Regarding Bridge Hoboing And Admin Actions Against It On 7/15/2021

Red966

IC, I find bridge hoboing extremely annoying, both that people who do it think that it's allright and that people in command who don't do it also think it's allright. People who have a job should be working or at least be pretending to work. They should not be resting in front of the bridge. I always tell people this IC.

For me, as others have mentioned, the reason bridge hoboing exists, is because the bridge is at the centre of the station. Since Hoboing is extremely passive, you want as much entertainment as possible come to you without moving, staying in the spot with the most movement makes sense.

If the bridge swapped places with the library for instance, I doubt hoboing would be that much of a problem. It would be too much out of the way. Instead the library would be the place to hobo.

Regarding map redesigns, I recently played a shift as a "freelance enigneer" (citizen with a toolbelt) and I spent my time constructing a new hallway to help connect the Dormitory area to the rest of the station as a "proof-of-concept" test.

There is already a nice double-wide, straight maintainece tunnel between botany and the library.  I added lights and flooring, then extended the hallway to the west until I reached the maintainence door under the Holodeck.  I kept the hallway two tiles wide, instead of the usual three, because I didn't want to encrouch on existing rooms.   I opened up both ends and moved the airlocks to allow access into the remaining maintainence areas on either side of the new hallway.  Then added some decorative features, like vending machines, plants, and windows into adjacent rooms.   

I really liked the results.   It looked natural and acted as a nice little shortcut between major areas of the station.   Best of all, it did seem to increase foot-traffic in the dormitory area.

If anyone is looking into features to add to an updated station map to improve flow and discourage bridge hoboing, this would be a pretty simple change.

One side-effect of this change is that the maintainence areas for the bar/kitchen/botany/mime/clown become more isolated and cut off from the rest.  This is both good and bad for antags.   Less foot traffic, but less room to run/hide if someone catches you there.   It also does carve out a chunk of maintainence space and reclaims it as active crew space, for better or worse.   

As a balance, it might be a good idea to add a direct connection between the security maintainence area and the maintainence area below the fore-starboard, in the area east of the holodeck.  This would give antags greater mobility without exiting into a potentially busy corridor.

• eyes 1

1 hour ago, destinycall said:

One side-effect of this change is that the maintainence areas for the bar/kitchen/botany/mime/clown become more isolated and cut off from the rest.  This is both good and bad for antags.   Less foot traffic, but less room to run/hide if someone catches you there.   It also does carve out a chunk of maintainence space and reclaims it as active crew space, for better or worse.   

Could convert that into an area of maintenance with access specifically restricted to Service (to give them better antag prospects), or make it a genuine service hallway/break room for the department.

Honestly, just remove Mr. Chang's entirely, and turn that section into an open area with vendors, wood floor, and seating. It's proximal to the bridge, solves the issue of people clogging up the hallway, removes a mostly unused enclosed area, gives players a spot for security to kinda nudge bridge hobos away to.

I'd move changs, please don't just gut it. 

There's a few decent places I can think of for it--and I'd like to think it'd be something out of the way. 

• Like 1

I feel like a majority of the people here are missing the root cause of bridge hoboism, it's not mapping or players just being shits, it's the jobs being boring. I mean, hell, if you can get more job engagement on fucking /tg/ where all they want to do all round is kill the bad men you know you've done something wrong. 

Our jobs are archaic to say the least, I don't think they've even been touched since release despite a few minor changes here and there, but I don't think any of the major systems have been touched in any substantial way (to may knowledge) other than maybe shaft miner and engineer. 

Obviously, Bridge Hoboism is low-roleplay and annoying, but I feel as though if we want to solve the bridge hobo problem it's not through rigid enforcement or reprimand, it's giving the bridge hobos something interesting to do. 

• Like 5
  • explodyparrot 1

I don't see a problem with bridge hoboing. It's only natural that the more you do sonething, the more efficient you become. If I'm at the point where I've made all the chems for medbay as chemist or everything is upgraded as scientist I'm gonna go hang out with the people at the bridge. That is of course unless something else is happening or I find something else to do. 

Really sounds to me like the service hallway is a useful thing to have, but I don't know how much it'll help the bridge hoboing. It seems to me like maybe the ultimate fix for this would be swapping the dorms and command, putting command out of the way but still reasonably close to security (I wouldn't give them direct connection, as it seems like it would make it to hard for antags to sneak into command), and putting the dorms and public space at the center of the station.

Tho to be honest I also love the suggestions of putting other shared, rp focused spaces near the high traffic parts of the station. Chapel, garden, new areas...

Dedinitely a lot of big changes

5 hours ago, PacifistDalek said:

Really sounds to me like the service hallway is a useful thing to have, but I don't know how much it'll help the bridge hoboing. It seems to me like maybe the ultimate fix for this would be swapping the dorms and command, putting command out of the way but still reasonably close to security (I wouldn't give them direct connection, as it seems like it would make it to hard for antags to sneak into command), and putting the dorms and public space at the center of the station.

Tho to be honest I also love the suggestions of putting other shared, rp focused spaces near the high traffic parts of the station. Chapel, garden, new areas...

Dedinitely a lot of big changes

As much as a I love mapping, I can tell you that it's not feasible to swap service and command on box. If you want this sort of layout you make or port a new map, not edit box. The amount of rework to get it fitting nicely just is not worth it.

Hostile architecture PR. Like those awful anti-homeless spikes but for bridge hobos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • honk 2
  • bap 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use