Clarification Needed

oranchepopsicle

Note: I have a screenshot somewhere, but due to terrible internet it will not load, and as of writing this I am reciting it from memory. I'm also not sure if I'm even posting/creating this in the right place.

Admin(s) Key: N/A
Your ckey (Byond username): Oranchepopsicle
Your Discord name (if applicable): oranchepopsicle#7953

Date(s) of incident (GMT preferred): N/A, recently

Nature of complaint: Clarification Needed

Brief description: Was PMd by an admin regarding LRP behavior. Wanting clarification on what is an is not exactly acceptable.

Full description of events:

I was playing Captain as DR-801, who is admittedly not realistically fitting for such a role. For the uninitiated, DR-801 speaks in all-lowercase (using !) similar to a Grey. I was PMd by an admin some-time into the round telling me to act like station command. I had an idea of what they were talking about and they told me (explicitly) to stop using ! to speak in all-lowercase. I responded that I didnt understand what lower-case speaking had to do with not acting like station command, and they said they go hand-in-hand (which, they do, yeah. my bad.). I then asked if it was fine on other roles, and they said yes. I felt sheepish and embarrassed about it, so I cryo'd (under the excuse that I had to do something.)

I know that they made it very clear about what the issue was, but now that I've had time to think about it i still have a few questions.

-Was there specific behavior as Command other than lowercasing that was too LRP?

-Could I possibly still lowercase as Command if the "specific behavior" was corrected? I dont wanna say "it's what my character would do", because I'm happy to just not play command as DR-801, just that the whole lowercasing thing is sort of his thing that people find most memorable.

I admit, I did act a fool for a few rounds in a row, but I was just hoping for some extra clarification. Sorry if I've rambled, I feel sheepish when I screw up.

Edited by oranchepopsicle
someday I will actually proofread something I write
  • Like 1

Hello there,

You could start by saying it's akin to netspeak when you ignore proper capitalization (as well as punctuation, not that you were doing that). For instance,

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

loses out on it's significance to start just by removing capitalization

it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

but now it loses all of it's glory and glamour when you remove capitalization and punctuation.

it was the best of times it was the worst of times it was the age of wisdom it was the age of foolishness it was the epoch of belief it was the epoch of incredulity it was the season of light it was the season of darkness it was the spring of hope it was the winter of despair we had everything before us we had nothing before us we were all going direct to heaven we were all going direct the other way – in short the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received for good or for evil in the superlative degree of comparison only

This type of, for lack of a better term, laziness is only something that has really gained in commonality with the rise of the Internet era, and sloppier short form messaging.

We could also talk about how abusing one game mechanic to get around another is wrong (as we do have auto capitalization on our server for the first word of sentence, using ! to bypass it is kind of suspicious).

Could also mention that it just looks incredibly less immersive in the game, as we expect the basics of the written English language to be followed.

Lastly, it comes across as just less serious in general, and as a command role, you need to have a modicum of authority for the position. Typing in lowercase only does not convey that authority.

Tagging in @Blessedif they desire to add additional clarification.

Edited by LightFire53
Should probably spell things correctly.

Well that sucks. Well, it's not the end of the world- I mainly fixated on it because, as stated in the complaint, the lowercasing thing was something people remembered DR-801 for. Now that I think about it, that could set a bad example for other players, so some changes to his character may be needed.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 2

To add onto Lightfire, this would account to rule 5 as well. If you pick a command role, you are expected to be serious, competent and play the role as intended.

Choosing to play as a VIP (such as the Nanotrasen Representative), Head of Staff (such as Chief Medical Officer), or the station AI means you will be expected to play to a higher standard of roleplay, seriousness and competence. You may be Jobbaned from Command if you fail to meet these standards, or if you ignore your duties;

Intent: First of all, there are limited slots. If you pick a role and don’t do the job it’s intended for, then you’re blocking someone else from doing it and making the station suffer by not having another doctor/engineer/etc.

Command staff are held to a higher standard because of not just the importance of those roles, but because they can lead by example. If the Captain is being silly and memey, this will be reflected and imitated by the rest of the crew. We don’t expect command to be 100% serious all the time, but they do need to be more competent than other roles. This is especially because they are able to fire people from their departments.

Department heads are expected to oversee and manage their department. If you do not want to do any management, do not play these roles. You are not just a regular member with extra access.

Command and Security both have the ability to affect other players rounds highly, either through SoP or Space Law. Good knowledge and respect of the RP environment is required to not ruin the game for others.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit over a week so marking as resolved - HMU on discord if you'd like more clarification (And in general anyone is free to do that whenever).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use