Robotic limb brand differences

MisterMan

There are many different brands of robotic limbs, with many different themes, so I had the idea of making them each have different advantages, disadvantages, and stat changes, relating to their theme. Ideally these would be significant enough to be useful, but not overpowered in any sense. If implemented correctly, they could make IPCs and robotic limbs more viable, while still having their disadvantages. 

A few examples of such changes could be the shellguard munitions series of parts having extra resistance to brute damage and more health, at the cost of being more vulnerable to EMPs and taking longer to repair. This could give sec oriented IPCs less of a disadvantage, but still give antagonists ways to fight them. Other brands could have things such as increased EMP resistance, decreased burn damage, and increased repair speeds, based on the themes of their sprites and brands. Overall, I think this would be a worthwhile yet simple (maybe? I don't know how to code) addition, and it would allow IPCs to customize themselves to fit their jobs and playstyles, without there being one optimal set of parts. 

We'd have to establish certain things about those brands first. 

Shellguard, for example, is fine--it's well known as a munitions company. 

Bishop, Hesphiostos, Xion and others, however, have very little lore on them outside of being subsidiaries of BioTech. 

Bishop, of those three, has a bit of an edge over the others because of its last name, Cybernetics, but not much more. I run a character that works for Bishop, but all of the stuff I come up with is head canon. 

If you want to give the brands differing effects, they'd need to play on what their respective corporations do. 

This doesn't count balance into question; and while the idea is cool, I'd worry about players beginning to min/ max cybernetic limbs rather than using them as an RP thing. They're in an OK place as is, so I'd be a bit worried about touching them without a very good game plan. 

• Like 2

The system should also be an opt-in one, to not affect current character designs. Have a standardized limb, and a specialized one from each corporation.
That way a player doesn't have to change their whole character design to be able to play sec without suddenly sturdier, but slower legs, and otherwise easily disabled arms, as example.
If there are multiple options for a limb, it'll also allow to slowly add the options. So you wouldn't need to have every brand fully established before adding the feature, nor need to come up with all the lore and effects to add a new design.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 11:40 PM, MarsMond said:

The system should also be an opt-in one, to not affect current character designs. Have a standardized limb, and a specialized one from each corporation.
That way a player doesn't have to change their whole character design to be able to play sec without suddenly sturdier, but slower legs, and otherwise easily disabled arms, as example.
If there are multiple options for a limb, it'll also allow to slowly add the options. So you wouldn't need to have every brand fully established before adding the feature, nor need to come up with all the lore and effects to add a new design.

This is a well thought out solution to my concerns, honestly. 

i would imagine Hesphiostos would be something to do with manufactoring and smithing, so the limbs could be the opposite of shellguard. more fragile but easier to repair since it sounds similar to Hephaestus which is the greek god of crafting so they could have more fragile designs but easier to repair since most of its users will be in a factory with the stuff to easily repair and move on compared to shellguard where mid combat repairs would be harder

what if instead of what i suggested, hesphastos had more acid explosion and fire protection instead, and bishop got more laser bullet and melee resistance as for bishop and xion, i would like to see one have the ability to regenerate with the cost of being more hungry or being more emp vulnerable and possibly one where you can re attatch full hands and feet 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use