"Why is the SM talking on comms?" Bubbles guide to engine delams

Charliminator

Whether you want to cause a delam, or stop one, this guide has you covered.

There are 3 types of engine delam caused by different things. 

All delams create station wide hallucinations to those not in lockers.

SINGULO DELAM- the SM collapses into a SM charged singularity when too many moles of gas are on the SMs turf

TESLA DELAM- the SM explodes and creates a tesla, happens when the SMs EER is above 5k EER

NORMAL DELAM- SM just blows up init

So the engine is on fire what now?
"Danger! Crystal hyperstructure integrity faltering!"

DO NOT PANIC. Don't. Seriously. Panicking is a great way to NOT stop a delam. You normally have plenty of time, upwards of a couple minutes to fix this mess so DON'T PANIC. Grab a rad suit or engineering suit. If the SM chamber is consumed in fire, an atmos suit might be a better option. any protection is better than none. CEs hardsuit is ideal.

Engine delams are caused by one of the three properties of the SM. Energy (or EER) being too high, pressure being too high/low OR temperature being too high.

Adding N2 to a delamming engine (preferably cooled) will delay its delamination by reducing its energy. bare this in mind.

Fire extinguishing an SM will cool it down, useful if you have a second person working on an SM to buy the other person more time to fix the issue. MAKE SURE TO WEAR MAGBOOTS I SWEA YOU WILL BE PULLED INTO THE SM. also, try and place a holofan at the door to make sure all the gas doesn't erupt out and kill you.

Firstly, check the SM room itself has power. Someone could have sabotaged its APC so its vents and scrubbers are not operational. Secondly, check that the air alarm is set properly. It should look like this, vents and scrubbers respectively.
image.png.6453fdd91cd4039b3759179c6de37336.pngimage.png.3958c3f85eec4398e72b2b9bc0d45e12.png

If the SMs air alarm is online and set properly and you are still delamming, the issue is somewhere else. Make sure someone or something (maybe a meteor) hasn't destroyed some of your pipes, replace missing pipes if you should find them. You should check that the filters are all maxed, on and inputting the right gas. Then check all pumps (aside from gas to filter and atmos to loop) pipes are either maxed OR replaced with straight pipes. Replacing these pumps with straight pipes might aid in slowing or even stopping a delam because it will stop the pumps from clogging.

At this point, if your SM is still too spicy you are going to want to scan your pipes. If when you scan your pipes there isn't many moles of gas inside, or even none someone might have sabotaged your loop, dumping your gas into space. You want to find this gas sink and remove it. Then replace the gas in your loop.

Now lets talk about the more unique delams - SINGULO

Delam SM quote "Warning: Critical coolant mass reached."

This is one of the only cases where adding more N2 will not help you, it will only make it worse.

If the pressure is MASSIVE you are gonna want to dump some gas. Your pipes are clogged up with the amount of moles and pressure in your pipes, stopping circulation and leaving hot gas in the chamber. So you gotta dump some gas. 

How do I dump my gas? you have a couple of options

1, you can use the filter at the top left of the SM (on box station) set it to the type of gas you want to dump and it will fill the two tanks that spawn by the SM with that gas.  This method is slow so it can be calibrated much easier.
2, you can bipas the four filters at the bottom of the SM, dumping all of the Gas rapidly into space.  If you are using this method you will want to have some tanks of nitrogen (preferably cooled) ready to replace the gas.

TESLA

"DANGER: CHARGE INERTIA CHAIN REACTION IN PROGRESS."

If you hear these words over comms you know shit is going down. The SM will start throwing out arcs of energy and creating anomalies. NOTE: THESE ANOMALIES DO NOT DROP CORES. Between 5000 and 7000 EER, if you don't have a grounding rod, the arcs of energy will deal damage to anyone not wearing gloves insuls. 7-9k EER gloves will only partially protect you and machines take damage. 9K+ EER, machines will FUCKING EXPLODE, at this point the SM is very hard to fix without a grounding rod. APCs, lights, freezers, EVERYTHING becomes a BOMB. All arcs can be grounded by one grounding rod as long as it is visible from the SM.

To fix this delam, you want to switch out the gas composition of the chamber  from CO2 to N2. even partially switiching the N2 for CO2. for example having a 40/60 N2/CO2 mix will probably stop this delam in its tracks. As I said before, adding more N2 is normally your best friend in fixing a delam because it kills the energy of an SM, massively reducing its EER. Make sure to avoid the anomalies.

IF IT IS COMPLETELY FUCKED
As a last resort you can, RCD the floor UNDER the SM. This will space all of its gas and buy you some time to run away or even muster some supplies to fix the SM. an SM with a spaced tile underneath it will take ages to delam.

now onto my favourite part

BEING EVIL
"I want to sabotage the SM, how mentor?"
Don't worry my friend. The engineer, is engihere. (do note, I am in no way responsible for any bwoinks caused by this guide. you gotta be a hijacker to do this you dork)

General tips
Kill engineers who are trying to fix your delam.

Mute the SM on telecomms to stop people from knowing about it happening.

Have a plan outside of engine sabotage. yes you can force a shuttle call, but outside of that you need a plan.

Supermatter shards explode smaller than the engine one. consider making singulos with them or even dragging them around and throwing people into them.

ALL HAIL LORD SINGULOTH!
Do you miss the singulo? Do you want to summon the lord back? 

Pump a shit tonn of nitrogen from atmos to the engine. Yes, nitrogen. why? cos you can cram the most of it into an engine before it starts to delam. As a result nobody will even notice that you are sabotaging it until it is waaaaaaaaaaay too late. It is also a good idea to cool this N2 down before you inject it. Cold gas contracts, so you can fit more into the pipes. you want as much gas as physically possible in the SM chamber. Then cut the scrubbers. Keep pumping in gas. Don't stop. He hungers. HE HUNGERS. CONSUME THEM ALL.

Lady tesla's return.
Tesla delams are extremely difficult but they result in a massive boom and a tesla when you pull them off.
Firstly, get a stable  100% CO2 SM setup with 4k EER+.
Secondly, get a grounding rod. Yes. A grounding rod. Safety equipment in my delam? no way! well, if you don't have it you might end up blowing yourself and your SM up, spacing all of your gas resulting in a pathetic tiny explosion of a delam.
Thirdly, set the scrubbers to scrub everything except CO2.
The CO2 in chamber will now start to build and heat up. causing a massive boost in the EER. now..... run. If you stick around you will be murdered and maimed by a grav anomaly or hyperspeed slime. Leave the pathetic engineers trying to fix your mess die to that.

There will be a station shattering kaboom.
If you want a quick easy delam without much pizzazz you can place a passive vent in space and connect it to the cooling HE pipes. this will act as a gas sink and cause the SM to delam from lack of coolant. Most engineers won't notice the issue  if you do it off screen from the SM chamber and it will delam and it will blow up. Likely forcing an ERT or even a shuttle call.

I hope this guide helped someone! leave any other tips in the comments.

• Like 2
  • clown 1
  • toolbox 1
  • fastparrot 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use