Character options

TortoiseGaming

As I am not a coder, I will preface this with an obligatory "I don't know how this would be implemented"

Anyways, with that out of the way. I would like to suggest (not sure if been suggested before) that we add a 'nonbinary' option to gender when creating characters. I imagine that it would be similar to taking the already existing examination descriptions when people are masked or in hardsuits with the 'They are...' and such. But would extend to when unmasked. It might also include extended clothing options for people who pick it. 

I would certainly use the option and I believe that if it were an option, other players might feel more comfortable with it too. Thank you for reading.

• Like 6

Diona, Drask, Greys, IPCs, and Vox all have a 'Genderless' option in the character creator, so code wise at least it would be very easy to add it to the other species too.

e.PNG.373896b7a65e7d93cd3496864b73b418.PNG

Edited by SabreML

7 minutes ago, SabreML said:

Diona, Drask, Greys, IPCs, and Vox all have a 'Genderless' option in the character creator, so code wise at least it would be very easy to add it to the other species too.

e.PNG.373896b7a65e7d93cd3496864b73b418.PNG

Ah, did not know those species had that option, but yeah. If that option was given to the other species it would be nice too. I don't think it would be too hard to do the same thing.

Male and female human sprites are different, so this would require a new set of sprites.

Now for the bit where twitter cancels me.

The gender option determines how your body is ingame. IRL, you have either a male body or a female body. Thats how it is.

This does raise the question of "Add a separate preference as what you want to identify as", but that would require redoing of all the existing pronoun code to use an identify_gender var instead of the regular one, which is just going to cause headaches all around.

• stunbaton 1

Posted a PR adding the existing system to all species rather than just a subset of them. This does mean that anyone who picks the 'Genderless' option will use the female sprite by default, but I personally don't see that as too big of an issue. This is more for the pronouns than anything else at the moment.

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/16007

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 6:40 AM, AffectedArc07 said:

Male and female human sprites are different, so this would require a new set of sprites.

Now for the bit where twitter cancels me.

The gender option determines how your body is ingame. IRL, you have either a male body or a female body. Thats how it is.

This does raise the question of "Add a separate preference as what you want to identify as", but that would require redoing of all the existing pronoun code to use an identify_gender var instead of the regular one, which is just going to cause headaches all around.

What does it matter what's possible in real life in a game where farting on a bible makes you explode?

Personally, I think more customization options never hurt anybody. The gender and body options could be separated so people can have whatever combo they like. I don't know how easy that'd be to program, but it seems to me like it'd be a worthwhile effort.

Edited by Daeodon
  • Like 2

Oh, should probably mention the outcome of that PR here as well.

I got a system working with separate options for Gender and Body like you suggested there (as shown in the PR's images), but in the end it was closed due to the worry that people would end up either mocking players who use the system, or making over the top transgender caricatures specifically to upset people.

While I do believe that anyone who would act like that doesn't belong on the server in the first place, it would require extra administrative action. And given the admin shortage there sometimes is already I can definitely understand the concerns. (This isn't the only reason of course, just my own take on it.)

You can view all of the discussion around the issue on the PR itself if you're interested, as well as one reply on the Discord server which I've attached as an image here. All of this is fully public already so I don't see any harm in sharing it.

Just for the record, I do agree that closing the PR was probably for the best. It's just a shame that it had to get to that point.

Spoiler

response.thumb.PNG.9e439652d1851801992388ba6a888414.PNG

Edited by SabreML
Lots of formatting tweaks and a link
  • Like 2

It sucks that it was shot down, but I do genuinely appreciate that it seems to be largely out of concern for lgbt+ people rather than dismissal or distaste.

The "THE LOBERALS WILL TEAR ME APART FOR THIS!!" posts followed by nobody even being mildly unreasonable are all really baffling though.

Edited by Daeodon
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use