Disable Nightshift Lighting in server settings

PPI

Since this is a configuration setting to disable, im making a topic for it here.

Nightshift lighting is nice from an rp standpoint, but for an overall game experience, it's preferable to be disabled.

One of the reasons is that a diona can actually die in that light, and that there are performance issues around enabling and disabling it. 

• Like 3
  • clown 1

Nightshift lighting is nice from an rp standpoint, but for an overall game experience, it's preferable to be disabled.

''Its nice for people who want to roleplay in this roleplaying game'', ''But i dont like it so i want it disabled so i can win''.

Thats all i got it from this.

Win? Win how? Outside of causing performance issues when it starts, and generally bringing nothing to the round other then annoyance, if ya want it for enviromental rp, then sure, enable it in the apc.

But for everyone else, it can just stay disabled.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CourierAsy said:

''Its nice for people who want to roleplay in this roleplaying game'', ''But i dont like it so i want it disabled so i can win''.

That's a rather baseless take on PPI's suggestion, and quite frankly a ludicrous one at that.

Night Lighting being enabled or disabled will by no means allow 'winning' of any kind. I share PPI's concerns about it as well. Not only does it have performance related issues when it turns off and on, it can genuinely be impactful for those that have vision problems IRL. Sure they can just get a flashlight, but it's also a genuine concern. 

I've not really seen it offer much in terms of RP either(The reason it was added, not to 'prevent winning' or whatever you so claim), outside of areas that people set it themselves for dates and other such thematic things.

I don't think I've ever had issues when the lights flip in terms of performance.

On the flip side, I really don't think its that big of an issue on top of it being thematically correct in an IC term.

That and if I could, I would have it on 24/7 so perhaps I'm a bit biased. Bright lights are a pain.

5 hours ago, PPI said:

there are performance issues around enabling and disabling it. 

Uhhh no? Thats not how this works at all.

Performance tanks when there are lighting updates, not by it being static. It takes a second for the entire station to go dark or light, but once it is in that state the atoms arent being modified, as they keep their colour values.

Please dont rag about performance issues unless you actually understand how things do or do not impact performance. 

40 minutes ago, AffectedArc07 said:

Performance tanks when there are lighting updates, not by it being static. It takes a second for the entire station to go dark or light, but once it is in that state the atoms arent being modified, as they keep their colour values.

Isn't that exactly what he said?

"There are performance issues around enabling and disabling it."

vs

"It being enabled or disabled causes performance issues."

2 hours ago, PPI said:

Outside of causing performance issues when it starts

@SabreMLthis implies (or to me it does anyway) that it stays on. That and its hardly an issue. It pegs the lighting SS for about 2 seconds, if that, then its back to normal.

Its hardly an issue. 

19 hours ago, Mitchs98 said:

That's a rather baseless take on PPI's suggestion, and quite frankly a ludicrous one at that.

I would disagree that it's a baseless claim to make, when a claim of it making a mechanical impact was part of the original post.

"One of the reasons is that a diona can actually die in that light"

It's making an argument that the system has at some point caused either his or someone's Diona character to die instead of healing off of the brighter normal lights. This is further implied with the comment of it being "Nice from an RP perspective but for an overall game experience it is preferable to be disabled." as this is more or less acknowledging that the RP side of things is not the argument being made, but the mechanical impacts it has.

Affected has commented on the performance side of things, which is that it doesn't really impact much if anything other then the initial swap of lightning modes, their other argument is not about how it is from an RP stand point, which leaves only the mechanical argument left to be of any concern, so, I disagree that it's a ludicrous take to have on the argument so far. A bit assumptive that he plays a Diona, sure, but still not -that- ludicrous of a take.

And the mechanical argument itself can be unraveled by the counterpoint of just using the PDA you spawn with, using the PDA light is enough light a Diona suffers no problems.  The effort of removing the system seems unwarranted, it still does add -some- RP value as you and the OP have stated, and the actual negative impacts are incredibly slim.

• Like 1

If performance issues are a problem, can the changes be staggered area by area to prevent the horrid lagspike it causes?

• Like 1

I'm for disabling it too. Visually, it's very annoying to me, the person actually playing the game. I'm fine if it stays in as something that can be set up room by room or something like that, but I just find it super grating, and the reduced light can actually sometimes make it hard to notice certain smaller sprites or tell certain sprites apart if they rely on colors, such as manual valves.

One solution I've seen other servers do is have a button on APCs that can toggle nightshift lighting on and off. The button is unlocked to it can be used at any time by anyone.

59 minutes ago, Veterankyl said:

One solution I've seen other servers do is have a button on APCs that can toggle nightshift lighting on and off. The button is unlocked to it can be used at any time by anyone.

We have this, its just engineer locked

47 minutes ago, AffectedArc07 said:

We have this, its just engineer locked

Is it? I could've sworn it's not actually locked.

Anyone at any time can walk up to an APC and disable/enable Nightshift Lighting. I do it all the time in the Chapel.

1 minute ago, AffectedArc07 said:

That must have changed because I remember nagging the AI for it lots. My bad.

This could be ENTIRELY anecdotal if its for the Chapel APC only due to the fact I only do it when playing Chaplain, but id assume its all the APCs.

On 5/19/2021 at 6:26 PM, MattTheFicus said:

This could be ENTIRELY anecdotal if its for the Chapel APC only due to the fact I only do it when playing Chaplain, but id assume its all the APCs.

On 5/19/2021 at 6:00 PM, Woje said:

Is it? I could've sworn it's not actually locked.

Every APC has the option, however you need to unlock it first, which if you're not an engineer, means you need to ask the AI or risk shorting it out while hacking it.

Also, id say keep it. It doesn't strain the server to much at all and its easy for those that require light to get a flashlight or use a PDA. Its nice mood lighting and helps set the tone for a round (albeit un-reliably).

Edited by DevL
oops

Just now, DevL said:

Every APC has the option, however you need to unlock it first, which if your'e not an engineer, means you need to ask the AI or risk shorting it out while hacking it.

I've never asked the AI to unlock it, I can just do it freely. Unsure if that's Chapel specific.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use