Make Mechanic Pod Bay 4 Tiles High

NewTotse

I am unable to submit this as a pull request, so I am doing it here:

## What Does This PR Do
This PR changes the mechanic's pod bay doors to 4 tiles high instead of 3 tiles high, and changes the adjacent maintenance tunnel to match the change in shape.

## Why It's Good For The Game
This is good for the game because it prevents being able to block the podbay doors with a single pod. This also could allow for up to 3 pods to be stored at a given time with enough shuffling and creativity. With the current set-up it's much easier to get blocked in purely by accident, where this gives just a tiny bit more room to move around, so an experienced mechanic has more room to work on and move pods around, where a less experienced mechanic has the opportunity to learn pod shuffling. Intentional blockage is still possible, accidental blockage is slightly less likely, but guaranteed blockage is reduced.

Edit1: Changed 'Why it's good for the game' to be more descriptive of why it could actually be good for the game.

New Mechanics Pod Bay.png

cyberiad.dmm

Edited by NewTotse
Expanded upon reasoning.
  • Like 1

This doesn't quite block the ability to trap a pod--just slide in via the middle two tiles. 

Indifferent otherwise. 

EDIT: I misunderstood OP's intentions. Disregard, this seems fine to me. 

Edited by Spacemanspark

I may have misspoke. I'll try to think of a better way to explain the general thought process behind the change.

Basically though with the current set-up it's much easier to get blocked in purely by accident, where this gives just a tiny bit more room to move around, so an experienced mechanic has more room to work on and move pods around, where a less experienced mechanic has the opportunity to learn pod shuffling. Intentional blockage is still possible, accidental blockage is slightly less likely, but guaranteed blockage is reduced.

It would be nice if it was even a bit bigger, their entire job is to make pods, but their current bay only holds 1 pod.

Personally I feel it could be big enough to hold 4-6 pods and thatd be good.

I think it would be possible if that maintenance tunnel was reconfigured a little with the only bottleneck being the exit door.

I'll load it up and play around with it a little bit and report back. 

Wasnt there a post just like that a few months ago that wanted to revamp the mechanic job and create a space mining thing and the final decision was that this was not the focus of the people in the station?

Edited by CourierAsy

Here's what I came up with.

I give you: The Pod Construction Area! As you can see, it houses 4 pods comfortably, everything for making pods has been moved to the new area, and the surrounding maint tunnels have been tweaked to allow for the new area.

Pod Construction.png

Pod Construction In Game.png

Pod Construction With Pods.png

I actually just had an idea for a whole different design that might work even better than this. I'm going to start an alternate design and if the thread hasn't bumped by then attempt to update this post with the alternate design.

Edited by NewTotse
  • Like 1

YES! The mechanic needs more space for pods. One change I'd make is removing the windows in the construction area. Maintenance in general shouldn't have windows, as it makes it easy to spot antags without them being able to easily retaliate or hide.

This is a design i usualy build ingame when I go mechanic, lots of pod storage, and a work space.

5d02dcbcf99295c2fa737f3ffe2368aa.png

Side note: Im not sure why the mechanics bay always has reinforced floors, they cant be floor painted so they always gota be wrenched up to apply proper floor textures and markings. Personally im in the opinion that the bay should in no way have reinforced floors simply for better asthetics, its not like it needs explosion resistant floors.

I like your design. I was afraid it would cut too much into that maintenance tunnel and I saw that big empty room lol.

I figured it was like that to make it look more industrial 🤷‍♀️

On 5/4/2021 at 1:13 AM, BlackDog said:

Side note: Im not sure why the mechanics bay always has reinforced floors, they cant be floor painted so they always gota be wrenched up to apply proper floor textures and markings. Personally im in the opinion that the bay should in no way have reinforced floors simply for better asthetics, its not like it needs explosion resistant floors.

This is due to pods having the ability to explode. You would want the only places they can enter the station to be reinforced against this.

Only concern with this is reducing the amount of maints space we have on the station. Maints is already very cramped- It would only be compounded by this. Otherwise, definitely a good idea.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, S34N said:

This is due to pods having the ability to explode. You would want the only places they can enter the station to be reinforced against this.

But...fuel tanks are literally everywhere and punch holes in more things than ive ever seen a pod do.

While a pod can explode, does the bay really need to be as reinforced as the RND test lab that explodes on a daily basis? Not even the toxins test site has reinforced floors and its designed to resist explosions for test purposes.

Personally, if someone wishes to reinforce the pod bay, that's up to them, but id wager most people would rather just customise it easier.

9 hours ago, Charliminator said:

Only concern with this is reducing the amount of maints space we have on the station. Maints is already very cramped- It would only be compounded by this. Otherwise, definitely a good idea.

Yeah, it's a hard trade off. More space for more pods at the expense of less maints space. One thing to keep in mind is that part of the area I took out for the pod construction room was literally just space with glass around it. 

Personally I've only ran into people hanging out in maints a few times, but I do see your concern, as when I do run into people it's always like a group of 10.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 1:26 AM, NewTotse said:

Personally I've only ran into people hanging out in maints a few times, but I do see your concern, as when I do run into people it's always like a group of 10.

this isn't necessarily the issue. the issue is antags having less room to operate/fight sec.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use