Implementation of a Security Buggy

Radman2307

Introduction 

So earlier on today I was playing as a Paramedic carrying out duties, bobbing about on the Ambulance when I got wondering... Why don't security have access to something similar in the form of a buggy that could be used to transport officers, equipment and prisoners from A to B? 

The design should mimick what we see in US malls, a security type buggy. 

So here I am asking the question. 

Method

Pretty simple, implement a vehicle in game similar to size as an ambulance but have it linked to the Security team, I would suggest there would need to be capacity for:

1x Driver

2x Passengers (either 1 Sec Officer, 1 Prisoner or 2 Sec Officers etc.) 

The vehicle would require the use of a key just as the Ambulance currently does but could also be used to carry additional equipment around aswell. The vehicle would also serve as assisting in cordoning off areas of the station where danger or crime scenes are taking place. 

Fundamentally if you're HoS you could have a 'mobile responder' team out with immediate access to additional equipment without having to return to Sec that can more readily deal with antags or threats to the station, the officers would also have immediate back up in the form of one another - out in the real world double crewed cars are far better than single crewed cops showing up to calls for fairly obvious reasons. 

Conclusion 

I've run the concept on the discord, seems to have gotten a pretty warm reception and I think it is something that could be implemented given existing code for the Ambo exists alongside other vehicles. 

I do think this would fundamentally change how Sec operates aswell given that you could 'crew up' vehicles in a rapid response/mobile patrol fashion and have additional equipment on board to better counter threats that may be encountered. 

Let me know what you think. 

Cheers, 

Radish Gamma

glacier-security-009.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Radman2307 said:

Introduction 

So earlier on today I was playing as a Paramedic carrying out duties, bobbing about on the Ambulance when I got wondering... Why don't security have access to something similar in the form of a buggy that could be used to transport officers, equipment and prisoners from A to B? 

The design should mimick what we see in US malls, a security type buggy. 

So here I am asking the question. 

Method

Pretty simple, implement a vehicle in game similar to size as an ambulance but have it linked to the Security team, I would suggest there would need to be capacity for:

1x Driver

2x Passengers (either 1 Sec Officer, 1 Prisoner or 2 Sec Officers etc.) 

The vehicle would require the use of a key just as the Ambulance currently does but could also be used to carry additional equipment around aswell. The vehicle would also serve as assisting in cordoning off areas of the station where danger or crime scenes are taking place. 

Fundamentally if you're HoS you could have a 'mobile responder' team out with immediate access to additional equipment without having to return to Sec that can more readily deal with antags or threats to the station, the officers would also have immediate back up in the form of one another - out in the real world double crewed cars are far better than single crewed cops showing up to calls for fairly obvious reasons. 

Conclusion 

I've run the concept on the discord, seems to have gotten a pretty warm reception and I think it is something that could be implemented given existing code for the Ambo exists alongside other vehicles. 

I do think this would fundamentally change how Sec operates aswell given that you could 'crew up' vehicles in a rapid response/mobile patrol fashion and have additional equipment on board to better counter threats that may be encountered. 

Let me know what you think. 

Cheers, 

Radish Gamma

glacier-security-009.png

I have no particular comments to make at this time due to being in the middle of schoolwork, however I must say
Paul Blart goes to spess.

• fastparrot 1
  • explodyparrot 1

8 hours ago, robveelben said:

Sound like a fun idea for sec but i think it needs to be earned somehow or build in some sort of way.

Maybe. 

I think having a vehicle that Sec could use would improve how they operate from an RP perspective aswell. 

Net gain is secure prisoner transport. 

Have you ever fought a security officer on a bike? You obviously haven't, because you suggested giving them a proper vehicle.

See, vehicles have this fun property of countering a lot of our glorious stun combat.
Projectiles? Blocked by the vehicle.
Melee stuns? Vehicle sprite blocks character sprite, possibly reducing the valid hitbox by over 50% (seriously, try hitting someone on a bike when they're facing south).

I'm completely indifferent towards flavour of this idea, but mechanically it's potentially a nightmare. Even if you introduce slowdown for it, people will just drag it around the way they do VTEC-less security cyborgs. We're trying to reduce the amount of heavy artillery security has, not give them another stun-resistant tank.

They already have a segway that the warden can elect to hand out. I *believe* it does, or at least did, negates stuns, ensures top speed movement, and for grabcuffed prisoners is pretty much guaranteed they'll reach the brig. The problem with vehicles is it's hard to make a single tile, multi-occupant vehicle to the degree it's impractical (see: spacepods, ripleys, and the other related vehicles and their occupancies.)

As someone who works in security, it's also a size vs. necessity problem. A properly fed security guard can get from one side of the station to the other in under half a minute, and for faster responses we have the segway and such. A ripley or janicart style vehicle is also a machine object, so it blocks movement while parked, which would make handling responses in maintenance an actual nightmare. I think security's balanced enough without giving them an additional vehicle.

Edited by Sonador

Security should wait for the current stun overhaul to go through before other aspects of it are modified. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spacemanspark said:

Security should wait for the current stun overhaul to go through before other aspects of it are modified. 

I don't understand just how overhaul stunning will have much of an impact on the implementation of a Security Buggy. 

Stuns impact combat in a very massive manner, particularly for security, which is a combat heavy role. 

Security having a vehicle they can use in combat for various purposes will also impact combat. 

It's better to wait for the overhaul to go through and let things settle before we pile more things either for or against security. 

Agree with spark here. With stuns as it is security can overcome MOST threats easily just using a taser. the stun rework should go though before anything is added. neat concept though! reminds me of the clown car

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use