Magistrate having acces to make announcements

robveelben

The magistrate is with the blueshield the only vip without acces to the announcement system often times I do notice the need a magistrate might have for it.

Here are a few examples

1. To make a sentance known to all the station like a high profile one.

2. To clearify a judgement or making known why that judgement was made.

3. To support the IAA when they need public support

4. To help against possible riots

• Like 1

1. Informing the crew about high profile criminal being handled is job of a captain. It's the captain who should ensure the crew feels safe, not a magistrate. The latter doesn't really care how the station operates as long as the Space Law is upheld correctly.

2. Clarifying judgments via announcement system is actually a bad idea. You end up dragging more people into an argument and the explanation provided rarely satisfies them. People just like being argumentative, especially with magistrates. Making announcements is just giving them ammo, so to speak.

3. Supporting IA is semi-valid argument, however it's not exactly magistrate's job, either. Conclusions of investigations, if necessary, should be announced by Heads involved. If investigation is basically station-wide, it already warrants involvement of a captain. This means magistrate's support would boil down to non-essential spammy "yeah, we have IAAs on board" 5 minutes into the shift only to be never used for them again.

4. Helping against riots is not magistrate's job. It's what HoS and captain are for. Not to mention the fact the entire authority of magistrate allows exclusively for "stop rioting or you'll end up in jail", which they already know and it won't stop them. If anything, it will infuriate them even further.

Overall, giving magistrate access to the system wouldn't be necessarily detrimental, but they have no real use of it outside a few very niche cases. Even in those cases, it's usually better for someone else to make an announcement.
I have many, many hours played as a magistrate and never actually needed that access. I asked for it once or twice, but it was non-essential whim of mine and I was fine with potentially being denied it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not convinced unfortunately.

The magistrate is not really a publicly-facing role, they already have bold radio messages if they want to make something clearly known to the crew.

Adding this access would just contribute to the announcement spam that we sometimes see. They can do their job without it, why fix what isn't broken?

Regarding bubbledumbs comment, yes that should be removed, but it's not really the point of this thread.

Magistrate doesnt need this. They arent a command member or station authority in the same way the Captain is. The magistrate may have final authority on brig related matters, but thats not something which intertwines with the whole of command, but I will break down the points and go in detail why.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:08 PM, robveelben said:

1. To make a sentance known to all the station like a high profile one.

The entire station doesn't need to know this. Most of the station couldn't (and really shouldn't) care less. If for whatever reason it needs to, the HoS can do it. 

2. To clearify a judgement or making known why that judgement was made.

Not really sure why this relies on an announcement system. Decisions like this are never done in an area other than processing. Don't kid yourself, the courtroom is never used, and even if it was, this announcer would be in the bridge or the magistrate office, and I have high doubts that the magistrate would leave just to announce something then walk back in

3. To support the IAA when they need public support

Struggling to think when this would ever happen. The IAA dont need public support, thats not their point. The point of IAA is to deal with complaints, specifically with security. They speak with central, and they never need public support.

4. To help against possible riots

The magistrate has nothing to do with this, and making a massive announcement with riots will just encourage them further. 

1 hour ago, WingedYordle said:

Then why does the blueshield have access?

See other posts in this thread. They may as well have it removed. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use