Port 3/4 perspective walls.

S34N

Hi all,

With fox implementing 3/4 "top down" perspective sprites from TG, I think it's time to put forward a suggestion fora radical change that will freshen up the paradise aesthetic.

What I'm suggesting:

Implement 3/4 perspective walls, windows and doors; similar to bay, CM, and goon styles. There are spriters willing to make paradise themed walls, and coders willing to help with setting up the smoothing code.

What does all this jargon actually mean? Have a look at this handy stolen chart:

Paradise currently uses "classic" top-down perspective. Of the other perspectives, "slanted" 3/4 would be best as all sides are visible for mounting air alarms, APCs, etc.

image.thumb.png.a83f1b702b3ee949ba798c9adcdd5f1c.png

Why I'm suggesting this:

Paradise currently has a dated look vs other codebases, while this is not inherently a problem, moving all other sprites to 3/4 will leave walls windows and doors looking out of place.

This will be a significant aesthetic improval to our server.

The following screenshot gives an example of what a typical room currently looks like on bay, and while we have different textures it would be in the same perspective as this.

image.png.7665f39e7e26d9e5075e811353d1b5de.png

Issues that need solutions:

The biggest issue currently is knowing if this project will be approved or not. While it is a lot to ask headmins and maints this before any real work has gone into the project, it is a large undertaking that needs conceptual approval beforehand.

Other issues include wall-mounted devices being out of place until they get updated and remapped. Something that won't be part of my initial proposal but can be done later, as that requires map-edits, and there is currently a hold on mapping PRs while we wait for the queue to start moving.

Edited by S34N
  • Like 4

I would like to see side by side comparison of multiple areas on our maps using our current and this spriting scheme before I make any substantial comments. I will admit it looks cool but I'm concerned it make be harder on the eyes to look at based on some of the examples you posted.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use