Chasm to Lava Suggestion

SirPup

Please note: This is my personal opinion

Suggestion: Change the lavaland Chasms caused by Tendrils, into Lava, or something as equally dangerous

Reasoning: Chasms are instant gib for no reason sure I can "Avoid the chasms" but it is hard when running on an old engine it has a lot of Space lag especially in lavaland, and when running away from the dangerous fauna there, you can always forget to look ahead and end up falling into a chasm, or have a second of space lag, and miss the "a" button.

Replacements: Please note that I'm only asking for the tendrils chasms to be removed or changed, not the one naturally occurring in places such as ruins, with the tendrils from lavaland you could change the chasm into Lava, or keep the chasm, but make it possible for you to climb out or make it so you fall into a "cave" of some sort while dealing a lot of Brute damage to your legs. or making something entirely different happen when breaking tendrils, such as mega fauna being alerted to your location after a couple of seconds, or something more or less dangerous with this approach I'd recommend making them spawn nowhere near the base. 

My Opinion: Yes I realize that lavaland is supposed to be extremely Dangerous, but my issue with these instant gib chasms, is that it can take forever for rounds to end, and accidentally taking one misstep could cost you, your life, and as well is it not like MegaFauna which can Gib you, but on side of being gibbed you can also see them on your "GPS" with chasms you cannot.

• Like 1
  • Salt 1

I hate chasms. Extremely unfun mechanic. Easy enough to avoid but can claim you regardless. I fell into them a couple of times due to sun glare on my screen, making them difficult to see. Extra annoying when it happens near round start. Anything that stops them from permanently removing you from the round, I'm in favour for.

Anyone who says opposite needs to fall into them a couple or so times within the 30 minute mark to see how joyful it is.

Edited by Xyd
  • Like 1

While I dislike chasms, gonna play devil's advocate here.

If you dont want to deal with chasms, dont break tendrils. If you dont want to fall into chasms, buy a Jaunter. If lag's an issue, just move around more carefully and dont take corners super fast. I can almost assure you that if a PR went up to change this it'd likely get a "I Ded Pls Nerf" tag and get slapped for being a semi-buff to Lavaland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, MattTheFicus said:

While I dislike chasms, gonna play devil's advocate here.

If you dont want to deal with chasms, dont break tendrils. If you dont want to fall into chasms, buy a Jaunter. If lag's an issue, just move around more carefully and dont take corners super fast. I can almost assure you that if a PR went up to change this it'd likely get a "I Ded Pls Nerf" tag and get slapped for being a semi-buff to Lavaland.

I agree with the fact that "Chasms Don't break Tendrils" However, most of the time its someone elses tendril, or one that got destroyed a long time ago, i never fall into chasms right after i break them, its always way later, but thank you for your opinion

4 hours ago, SirPup said:

...its always way later,...

Hence the Jaunter, for the low low price of 750 Mining Credits, you can completely ignore even the IDEA of falling into a chasm!

15 hours ago, MattTheFicus said:

Hence the Jaunter, for the low low price of 750 Mining Credits, you can completely ignore even the IDEA of falling into a chasm!

Wait, a Jaunter saves you from falling into a chasm? Having one on you when you fall into one, it automatically jumps you away?

2 hours ago, Xyd said:

Wait, a Jaunter saves you from falling into a chasm? Having one on you when you fall into one, it automatically jumps you away?

Chuck one in your belt slot and itll save ya, yup!

image.thumb.png.e4ee3f160b6b2042685deca29fa1fd33.png

2 hours ago, MattTheFicus said:

Chuck one in your belt slot and itll save ya, yup!

image.thumb.png.e4ee3f160b6b2042685deca29fa1fd33.png

Well that makes this entire suggestion redundant, i knew the jaunter existed, but i dident know you had to buy it, i thought it was a loot you get from a necropolis chest, would be kinda fun if you had a jaunter and fell down into a chasm, you had to go through a cave to get back out, but yeah, Thanks for the comment!

On 4/7/2021 at 9:08 PM, Spacemanspark said:

Chasms are garbage tbh. Don't see any issue removing them. 

This, genuinely.

I think the chasms are good as the first stage of a tendril dying, given it makes the loot missable and somewhat more risky. But after a short time, it could fill up with lava, given it's quite a deep hole, may just hit magma to fill it up. This could even continue and let the area cool down and harden after a while, making it just normal ground.

There is also only one way to counter chasms, with a specific restriction, besides "just don't fall in". The jaunter being on your belt slot stops you from using a webbing (which probably should be as easily accessible to the miner automatically using the jaunter), and without bluespace storage (or i suppose a ripley with a crate loaded), your backpack will be rather full with just basic miner gear, so a shelter, a survival pen, maybe a legion core/stabilizer, some bones/sinew/hide to craft some armor enhancment, gps...
There is a commented out (as it's not working) redbullpotion that would give you wings, but as the source implementation was changing your species to achieve that, it wasn't easily ported and left out in the implementation, as far as i know. Changing that up to work on this codebase may give another tool to handle chasms, making them less punishing in turn.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use