Port CereStation as a new highpop map

S34N

Hi all,

A number of people have expressed an interest in getting a new highpop map for us, once map rotation is in.

CereStation fits this role nicely, and seems like a good fit for paradise.

What I'm suggesting:

Take TG's CereStation, give it some TLC, and bring it into paradise rotation. CereStation is a large map with departments spread across various asteroids, these asteroids are connected by walkways and by a quantum pad network. Each department has a small security office, with a large and spacious brig in the North West.

The map is designed to evoke feelings of lonelyness and isolation, and can do this even on highpop, since the departments are so spread out and the map is quite large. Bridge hobos wont really have a place on this map, as its bridge design is quite unique (its on the east side of the NW asteroid, if you want to see)

Why I'm suggesting this:

We currently lack an up-to-date highpop map. We do have meta and delta, but they are severely outdated and broken currently. While work is being done to fix this, I think that time could be better spent maintaining CereStation.

Issues that need solutions:

So, the biggie. I've been able to port it over, and touch it up to be fully functional. An image of the map will be at the bottom of the post.

HOWEVER, since it's a TG map, it has no facilities for our karma jobs, and its shuttle system is different to our current one. These things aren't the worst to remedy, but they require time that I dont want to committ unless I know people want this map.

Main things that will need addressing are:

• Karma job locations; mechanic, secpod, barber, magi, blueshield, NTR, brigdoc, etc.
  • Medbay remap
  • SciChem
  • Arrivals docking tweaks for ERT, medshuttle, etc.
  • Brig remap for para culture, notably; perma expansion, processing room, better evidence, gamma armory.
  • Move gateway out of maints
  • More vending machines

Click the image to expand and zoom in detail, its very large. (This image is taken from within a mapping tool, some things such as cables will not be visible. This map runs without issue on a test server currently)

ohyes2.thumb.png.7b0f9e65494b025f4d285a5a45195340.png

Edited by S34N
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • explodyparrot 2

something i see that could be a problem is disposals looks like it uses chutes to launch through space so it could turn something like disposaling someone or yourself into a death sentance...

This looks amazing, it probably requires a lot of work but i am sure it would be worth it.

Contrary to Herder's opinion, I actually quite like the "disposals wild ride". However, I have been very vocal about my opinion on the CereStation map on the discord. I absolutely love this map. The general aesthetic is just glorious, the bridges, the rocks, the sand; all of it is genuinely incredibly and has obviously been handcrafted with care. In fact, I would suggest adding like trees and other shrubbery (as long as it isn't too campy). I think that the overall map design is incredibly well-suited to the atmosphere we wish to cultivate on the server as well as benefitting gameplay. Without sounding too pretentious and "wordy", the closed off maintenance could definitely allow for some incredibly tense scenes and the ability to carve through the rock would also provide an interesting gameplay element. This map would also help mitigate some of the problems we have surrounding our map being too small resulting in generally louder and more obnoxious antagonists. I really hope this map gets ported, I am fully in favour of this map. 

Overall. I really like the map and how it looks aesthetically. It's pretty interesting overall too. But my opinion remains the same as it has the past few times its been brought up. I don't like how absolutely easy it would be to cripple the whole station/large parts of it. That and disposals riding through space is a big concern of mine too.

Though I do like it as a map, I really don't like the downsides to it.

CERESTATION IS THE FUCKING BEST. It's very unique and large enough to be well suited to very high pop. I like how it makes positioning security officers on different asteroids as opposed to having them do mindless maint patrolling a consideration. I absolutely LOVE the potential to make expansion projects and secret rooms there, aswell.

1 minute ago, Gaty said:

It has waaaay too many empty corridors in my opinion.

It's perfect that way. Those corridors have a really cool atmosphere. And they won't be empty on highpop anyway.

1 hour ago, Herder05 said:

something i see that could be a problem is disposals looks like it uses chutes to launch through space so it could turn something like disposaling someone or yourself into a death sentance...

Yeah. Which is fine, not all maps have to have the same mechanics - you can disposals ride on box, meta, and delta, but that doesn't mean that it's necessary that it's also safe to do on Ceres. Mechanical differences keep the game varied.

45 minutes ago, Mitchs98 said:

I don't like how absolutely easy it would be to cripple the whole station/large parts of it.

Atmos barely matters anymore so the consequences of any breach would be easily fixed. Plus crippling the station is reserved to hijack-level antags anyway and others will get bwoinked.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mitchs98 said:

I don't like how absolutely easy it would be to cripple the whole station/large parts of it.

While taking out a walkway would cause navigation issues, the quantum pad network is a robust backup to walking around.

Another idea I've heard thrown about is implementing more vehicles for map traversal.

6 minutes ago, Woje said:

Yeah. Which is fine, not all maps have to have the same mechanics - you can disposals ride on box, meta, and delta, but that doesn't mean that it's necessary that it's also safe to do on Ceres. Mechanical differences keep the game varied.

Being able to ride disposals in almost all maps but this one (and punishing that with perma-death) would feel very unfair for new players/those who play this map for the first time.

Just now, Gaty said:

Being able to ride disposals in almost all maps but this one (and punishing that with perma-death) would feel very unfair for new players/those who play this map for the first time.

There are many things that are punishing to new players on currently existent maps. Box chemistry is literally designed to blow up. New players don't stay new forever, these are teaching experiences. Also, getting spaced is hardly permadeath.

3 minutes ago, Gaty said:

It would not be perma death, you would end up in cargo and hopefully be taken to med by a CT.

I don't think disposals riding without preparation being dangerous is an issue, it isn't really safe to jump into a waste disposal system to move about...

Edited by S34N

3 minutes ago, Gaty said:

well this is similar to people who punch the chefs goat for the first time. they will never do it again. that sorta experience is funny and you will always remember it, it also teaches people the power of disposals. the station should be more dangerous, its a fucking space station, flushing yourself down the trash should not be a safe thing to do.

It's hard to tell, but would you actually be in space long enough to die when riding disposals? Disposals spits you out pretty quickly, and space takes some time to kill you.

Overall though, I'd love a map that's radically different from what we have.

2 minutes ago, Eler00 said:

It's hard to tell, but would you actually be in space long enough to die when riding disposals? Disposals spits you out pretty quickly, and space takes some time to kill you.

Hell nah you'll live. With internals you will barely feel it.

3 hours ago, Gaty said:

The fact that people ride disposals is both new and unpleasant in a RP standpoint for me.

Hell to the yes to the new map, tho. Hopefully something to look foward to, after the new station remap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woje said:

Plus crippling the station is reserved to hijack-level antags anyway and others will get bwoinked.

Blob. Terrors. Revenants. Simply saying 'atmos doesn't matter' isn't really a counterpoint, especially when it can matter in a lot of instances(and does, not as much as with fastmos, but more than what people are complaining as people like taking things to the extreme.)

9 hours ago, Mitchs98 said:

Blob. Terrors. Revenants. Simply saying 'atmos doesn't matter' isn't really a counterpoint, especially when it can matter in a lot of instances(and does, not as much as with fastmos, but more than what people are complaining as people like taking things to the extreme.)

Terrors sabotaging atmos fucks them over, and revenants are very rare. Yeah, it's an issue with blob, blob - and nukies - will be strong on Ceres - but that's fine imo. Certain antags being more or less powerful depending on map is unavoidable anyway.

Also, a point to address some concerns I've heard regarding CPU usage due to atmos having bigger rooms to work with:

The actual floor turf count for cere is almost the same as box, just a few hundred more (~10k turfs). So a lot of the additional non-space turfs are just asteroid walls or airless asteroid flooring. So I don't actually think the atmos impact will be all that different between the two maps.

• Like 1
  • explodyparrot 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if there is a sperate thread for the review of this station, since it was tested yesterday, but here are my thoughts:

• All in all, I liked the new map. I play a lot of command and a hobo safe bridge is a great plus. May also increase productivity.
  • It was way too big. Walking across it took ages. While I like that it's big, which each step I take I'm considering, is this trip worth it? Walking isn't really what I play ss13 for so it was a big deal for me. Spending a larger % of the round walking is not something I want in a map.
  • I liked the gym, library, chapel and the general service part. I especially liked the second, tinier bar/restaurant with the instruments. However, as with box station, I feel they should be moved to a more central location. This is where most people should hang out when not doing anything.

Props for making a new map! I think it can be really great.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use