Name Review : Sheriff Douglas

TriDemp

Byond Key: Tridemp

IC Name for Review: Sheriff Douglas

Race: Human

Is this a Mime or Clown Job Name?: No

Reason/Backstory: 

Reasoning: Howdy there. I do understand the implication of the fact the Sheriff can be seen as a title, however Sheriff is actually a popular name around where I live. I believe it falls under the same category as "Hunter", "Rider", "Archer", "Harper", "Deacon", and especially "Duke"- sure they share their name with a title but that doesn't take away from the fact that they have been appropriated to first names, and I believe Sheriff should be offered the same benefit of the doubt, especially considering I've used the character upwards of 500 hours with no complications up until this point. Thank you for your consideration.

• Like 2

The reason why I see it more as a title was three things;

The first was your flavor text, merely "oldschool".

The second was the way your character interacted with others. Tipping hats, blowing smoke rings, greeting everyone with a howdy, like the stereo types from movies and tv shows.

The third was your job, Detective. It definitely seemed more likely over the sheriff title from being in a job that surrounds it.

I personally don't see the connection with the flavour text "oldschool" being a qualifier towards it being more of a title than a name, maybe you could further elaborate on that, I'd appreciate it. But in regards to that- I'm more attached to the name at this point then I am the flavour text so if there is a conflict there, I'd have no problem changing the flavour text to accommodate. 

If I may, the wardrobe of the detective role itself is stereotypical and it kind of steers you towards that type of roleplay, which may have been why I leaned into it- to further elaborate: you start with a hat that is good for tipping, a trench coat and a lighter for what I presume is for smoking since it's a zippo, a lighter made extremely popular by the "cool" smoking community. You've got all the makings of a 1940's detective stereotype, so I think anyone could be at fault for that.

The "howdy" greeting is a way I do personally greet people, if you look at how I interact on my other character Sunny Demir, I also tend to greet people with a howdy, but to be fair I do double down on it when I play Sheriff in any role- not just detective. 

As for playing detective on Sheriff, I think that may have been one of the first, if not the very first time I played detective as Sheriff- It's not a role I frequent on that character, I'm usually a surgeon, or back in the day I used to do CMO a lot. If me playing Sheriff as detective is a little too "on the nose", then I can compromise and use Sunny when I want to play that role. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy Partner.

Sheriff seems absolutely to be a real name in many places. I can see why Aby thought it was a title given the context with the character style, but I can find numerous people with names like their jobs. I know a Doctor Doctors IRL.

Review accepted, name is allowed.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use