Allow wizards spell book scale by crew

sldomino

What I'm suggesting:

Have the spell book charges for only wizard rounds scale by crew size. The spell book has a default value of 10, so I'm thinking on maybe have it increase by 1 for every 50 crew members but that’s all up for debate.

Why I'm suggesting this:

I believe one of the issues that a wizard round has, is because of the population size in paradise. Compared to nuke op the only other round start that makes you fight against the entire station; they have a minimum of 4 agents along with a scaler of points to buy weapons depending on the crew size. Having the spell book points scale by population instead of making more mages not only prevents the round on being another form of ragin mages but it gives the wizard more creativity in their spell setup while also giving them a better fighting chance.

Sending a lone wizard that may have more spell options compared to ragin mages but having the same amount spell points severely limits their approach on a crew size of 90 or more where each passing moment the crew is most likely getting stronger.

I would also like to think that giving the wizard more spell points would justify them on being sent alone because the spells they can conjure, or upgrade is worth x amount of people.

I'm somewhat on the fence with this idea. One one hand, a wizard can really struggle with survival if they find themselves against a large crew. Stealth is harder with more eyes watching, taking out individuals is more difficult if more people are there, even teleporting to the station is more likely to get you discovered right away if there's lot of crew.
Extra points also gives a wizard more flexibility in the type of build they want. There're a lot of abilities that go unused because they take points away from the more overpowered ones like Blink and Misty Step.

On the other hand, wizards are somewhat balanced around the fact that they're limited to ten points. There are some absolutely broken combos you can create as is, and adding more points just gives the wizard even more strength. A good wizard can stomp a crew of almost any size.

I also feel like a part of the issue is that it's difficult to tell how much wizard survivability is effected by crew size. Given how rare wizard is, it's very difficult to get experience with the role. A lot of wizards die in five minutes because they make a simple mistake or go with a spell setup that gives them no survivability.

Edited by Veterankyl

Slightly altering the against point of the above:

Its balanced around 10 points for even an average player against pretty much any crew, and generally no matter how many points you add or remove, a bad or inexperienced wizard player will do bad, and a good experienced wizard player will do good. Adding more points will just make those that can already play wizard be more overpowered, and if someone wishes to do a non-op gimmick that needs more points, they can always ahelp and ask for more points for a specific build.

The main issue with people constantly dying quickly as wizard is that they’re inexperienced at both the game and at wizard and don’t know how to effectively make a good build or effectively use their spells, and increasing spell points won’t make much of a difference.

The issue with wizard isnt their strength, wizard is plenty strong as is. The issue is that rolling wizard is so rare that almost every wizard will be a first time or second time player, and wont have the experience to do well, add to that that wizard rounds end on wiz death and thats why wiz rounds last 15 minutes at best.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use