Admin Complaint: (Feedback on Event)

Lurapa

Admin(s) Key: @Elysian_prince
Your ckey (Byond username): Lurapa
Your Discord name (if applicable): 

Date(s) of incident (GMT preferred): 29/01/2021 (2 am if im converting right)

Nature of complaint: Feedback
(Select all that apply: EG - clarification required, misapplication of rules, misconduct, abuse of powers, feedback, other)
Links to all relevant ban appeals for any bans related to this complaint: 
N/A

Brief description (tl;dr here. Just the critical elements):

A round where Security were bare-bone (100 players) had 10 Antagonist. Security started with less than 5, 4 at time of me joining. Join as Magistrate to find that Security lost their Acting HoS to a traitor. With the other few either SSD, Cyro, or Dead. The Event that occurred was a Medievil Knights ERT, that enlisted 6 persons to aid Security. One of which were Traitor.

Full description of events: 

Round started for me 30 minutes into the shift. I joined as Magistrate and saw that there were 4x Officers, 1x Warden (who became Acting HoS). Find out that the Head of Security Office was bombed, and items stolen. By an Antagonist that had AA and access to Security Records. 

The one Officer who was present in the round, actively responding - etc. Was bested by the Antagonist and made the struggle that much more real. 

Now - seeing that we had barebone Security, or something. An Event was presented to the round. Twelve Knights of something, apparently ERT Access, and Authority. That pooled and recruited from the Station populace to aid Security.

A really fun idea, that is great to see. But the round simply was not compatible with it. And therefore I am feedbacking for the event to be more dynamic, and more adaptable.

We had no Security. The few we had went Cyro with their Security Belts. Thus making any new Security who joined, unable to fully equip themselves. The Captain assumed ERT (Security) could not be requested because of the ERT presence aboard the Station. And soon to be 6x ERT members (from Crew).

While not fully not on the Admins running this event. The Event simply failed to remedy any issues Security were facing. Very-much so that they added to the negativity of the round. They were improperly equip to deal with anything but KoS targets. Had no non-lethal means to interact with minor/medium/major crimes. And some of the Recruits just did not know how to perform Security Duties so they simply took liberties with their extra access, authority, and power.

It was a stressful shift as Security that round as Command failed to reinstate chain of command, lagging immensely on that. Confused by the illusion that the ERT Trainees / ERT person would be bolstering Security when they did anything but. No fault of their own, but their equipment was more changeling-arm-blade, than anything else.

image.png.b120f8ce032a9d3b7ad55bf216e44cd7.png

Dynamic Weaponry:

1) Non-Lethal alternatives to the equipment.

- A nerf-gun, with a bow-sprite, similar to what I had as a Clown via Honkmother one round. It used riot rounds, that hit stamina not health. Instead it was a DS rifle, with different ammo. The Bow could alternate like the DS Honkmother gun too, switching between arrows that embed/pierce to donksoft.

2) Perhaps a renamed Contractor Baton?

- Balance needed, obviously. But it would serve them so much better to have multiple option weapon, while preserving their slots. And to rename it would make it more fluff-lore worthy. It could be a proto-type Baton that is in their knightly order, the schematic stolen by the Syndicate.

image.png.1d5d068dbaff00b5b86afe67d4ad4d3d.png

/obj/item/melee/classic_baton/telescopic/knight
	name = "Elysian Knight Baton"
	desc = "A compact baton developed and used by the Elysian Knights of the Twelve Planets. Pushed into creation through the many unfortunate lethal arrests. The schematics stolen by the Syndicate for a more potent variant."
	// Overrides
	affect_silicon = TRUE
	stun_time = 1
	cooldown = 1.5 SECONDS
	force_off = 5
	force_on = 10
	item_state_on = "contractor_baton"
	icon_state_off = "knight_baton_0"
	icon_state_on = "knight_baton_1"
	stun_sound = 'sound/weapons/contractorbatonhit.ogg'
	extend_sound = 'sound/weapons/contractorbatonextend.ogg'
	// Settings
	/// Stamina damage to deal on stun.
	var/stamina_damage = 20
	//Doesn't jitter, or stun. Does Stamina Damage 70>20.

3) Combat Belt

- For cuffs, other relatable items. Otherwise they're out of luck in inventory space.

4) Upgraded Mindshield (event/fluff)
- To not enable Traitors/Antags into superior authority/access/immunity from Space Law. On tier of ERT. It doesn't seem intended to heighten an antagonist to such a degree. Where no one would question them. To circumvent this, have the Event Admin select from the pool. Or have a demographic to source from.

e.g 1x Honkmother representation, 1x Mime representative. Meme it up, pull from the 'various houses' aka departments. So at least then the chance of pulling a traitor is less jank.

(An idea would be: Have a Mindshield Implanter that auto-fails 1 random Objective. And that the Syndicate can spawn a ghost to try and contractor the Antagonist out of the Station to take the Trainee ERT equipment, mindshield, and punish the Syndicate Agent for participating in ERT training/indoctrination)

5) Be more clear on what they are.

Are they ERT, do they have ERT authority, do their presence disqualify a shuttle (not shift-vote one), do their presence disqualify aspects of Fax Machine/Communication Console.

6) Give them chivalry/laws akin to an AI on how they have to deal with people.

e.g Can't use a weapon if the opponent doesn't have a weapon drawn. Stuff like that, to make their extra boosts (AA, radio, authority) more balanced to Antagonist.

Edited by Lurapa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello!

Allow me to address a few things as this is put in the 'admin complaint' section as opposed to the event section, so I shall treat it as such.

First off: Hindsight does tell me that they were indeed poorly equipped for nonlethal situations, yes. I took suggestions towards the end of the shift as to changes that could be made, and I do plan to (if this is done again), put them into account.

Secondly: The event that happened was for either the Knights of the Twelve Planets (for a more medieval training scheme/squad), and a guardsmen unit from the Elysium Project, more equipped with lasers, other relevant gear. I asked for command/the captain to choose six crewmembers to be a part of the training squad--this was not selected from the ghosts or by myself. That there was a traitor in there, I will say, is a point of circumstance that I did not look at after the final 'Knighting ceremony'.

Thirdly: Access, additional equipment, etc. was something I left for the captain to handle. I did request that they be given appropriate permissions, but beyond that, I made no changes to IDs, aside from renaming with 'sir or 'lady' as a prefix to names.

As for authority and status in the crew, that should have been clarified and will be in the future. As for immunity from space law, I told the captain that 'they are absolved of past crimes, but this does not absolve them of future ones' and tasked them all (the other knights) to react to eliminate anyone going against the oath they made on the bridge (Protect home, people against threats within and without) so they had a sense of self policing. They also were in groups of two to provide some accountability for one another as well.

As for additional items and other specifics that could have been changed before, I will look into them if this situation is given a second chance to come around with.

I will conclude by saying that a first time trying an idea out to go off the beaten path is not perfect, far from it. Nor will I ever really reach said point, truthfully--my main goal is to have an event where others enjoy something that doesn't usually happen in a round, and you have my apologies about miscommunication and equipment.

On 1/29/2021 at 10:15 PM, Elysian_prince said:

Hello!

Allow me to address a few things as this is put in the 'admin complaint' section as opposed to the event section, so I shall treat it as such.

While in Admin Complaint, it is feedback.

I love events, and moreso the ones that go into themes. 

Asked in A-Help, and Ghost Chat where best to place this post. With no reply I surfed and found that Admin Complaint was also used as Feedback, or Positive commentary. Contrary to the prior words 'Admin Complaint'. It is more feedback than complaint. While I do apologize as to its placement. I do appreciate/respect the professionalism to stick to format. 

First off: Hindsight does tell me that they were indeed poorly equipped for nonlethal situations, yes. I took suggestions towards the end of the shift as to changes that could be made, and I do plan to (if this is done again), put them into account.

When asked, I was told in-game that round that they were to assist Security and would be equip befitting of that. While a disconnect of communication between myself and the Captain. Who was the main person telling me what was up and what to expect. I assumed wrongly that it would include some 'in the norm' fitting, what I mean by that is touching upon how ERT are dynamic, and often have switch-weapons. Now, my expectations did not meet reality, purely because I was thinking about conventional ERTs. And had no knowledge of what to expect, such as horses and whatnot.

Secondly: The event that happened was for either the Knights of the Twelve Planets (for a more medieval training scheme/squad), and a guardsmen unit from the Elysium Project, more equipped with lasers, other relevant gear. I asked for command/the captain to choose six crewmembers to be a part of the training squad--this was not selected from the ghosts or by myself. That there was a traitor in there, I will say, is a point of circumstance that I did not look at after the final 'Knighting ceremony'.

Yeah. It's just unfortunate that they were in a round where they were needed to be present. And due to their presence resulted in Captain assuming otherwise, not calling an ERT. It sadly left a Traitor to be unassumed in their actions. And with AA.

Thirdly: Access, additional equipment, etc. was something I left for the captain to handle. I did request that they be given appropriate permissions, but beyond that, I made no changes to IDs, aside from renaming with 'sir or 'lady' as a prefix to names.

In conclusion the event added to the round, and was intended to be beneficial. But a lot of the negatives came from non-staff selection.

1. ID/Access

2. Who was in it

3. Extra equipment/equipment to actually react to threats. 

Captain never reinstated a HoS, nor fixed a chain of command in Security. And mis-used the Knights as HoS/Warden replacements when they weren't equip nor knowledgeable to do so. As HoS/Warden are both time-locked and require a deep understanding of attention that a lot of the Knights failed to pay attention to Security/Brig/Procedure with.

I would suggest a more HRP/indepth training montage, but that would take forever in a limited time-frame (2 hours). Which would likely detract from the event/shift/participants. However I do think, hearing your replies, that the selection/armoury should be staff-side, with consultation of Captain. Not captain-side, as they can make or break a round. Handling an event they neither set-up nor knew indepth about (as much as the host/creator of the event).

A nerd way to conclude, would to be summarize my suggestions to giving the role of Captain to the Event Admin, and the role of Nanotrasen Rep to the in-game Captain. AKA the Event Admin can balance who is selected, based off their current-round position, security record, etc. And the Captain can advise a 'no, yes, sure idk'.

What would be immensely cute would simply be restricting hiring to Assistants / Civilians as 1st preference, then building up towards Security. Not playing favourites, but pooling from the people who tend to not have a demanded job, e.g Engineer. 

Why I say this is because the IDs / Jobs weren't properly altered, to open up a slot. They for some reason remained in their respective occupations. While not doing their occupations. Thus locking new players from their occupation, while RPing Elysian Knights.

Edited by Lurapa

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use