NAME APPEAL SPACEMANSPARK: Name appeal for [Matter O' Fact]

Lurapa

Byond Key: Lurapa

IC Name for Review: Matter O' Fact

Race: Grey

Is this a Mime or Clown Job Name?: No

Reason/Backstory: 

Reason part -

The wikipedia states that "Greys lack a language of their own, communicating with their kin telepathically. Though their formal names used through telepathic communication lack a written counterpart, many Grey adopt written names for the purposes of interacting with other species or record keeping. Due to their lack of a spoken language, however, these names do not normally follow a scheme or pattern, varying greatly from individual to individual.

I highlighted the bit I believe is more important to the appeal. They do not follow a scheme, or pattern. With the outcome of a name, varying greatly from individual to individual.  

While I understand that Grey can't take liberties with their naming convention to take after 'Luke Skyminder' or something. I assumed that, with backstory, that you could adopt names that were literal or impactful to a race that need it simply for employment. Not due to their own society.

Backstory part -

Character is a grey, who was introduced to Nanotrasen one way or another. When asked to supply a name, the character replied telepathically - and then in galatic common, that they did no have a name. Nor saw the need for one. To which the person registering/recording or - handling the data, replied. "Is that a matter of fact?" 

That is the origin of the unique, diverse Grey name I picked for Matter O' Fact the grey. Their name, for Nanotrasen, was the first reply Nanotrasen would've given them in this fictional story. When Matter commented that didn't have a name, but needed to put one down to be employed.

References I used-

Grey - Paradise Station Wiki

Names should be appropriate for the species. A human being named "Bob Smith" is fine. A diona being named "Flight of A Thousand Flowers" is fine. A character with a name from another species should have a backstory to explain this.

Your name represents the name NT hired you under. This means you should not have titles like "Doctor", and should likely include a last name, not just a description like "Grunt".

Especially “memey” names, or IRL references, can very much break immersion.

(I don't particularly find the 'memey' name rule apply to this name. Memey is very subjective, as some names that would appear memey as a human, would be a-ok as a Slime person. And my reasoning behind Grey being a tad immune to 'memey' name, is because they're a race apparently IC unhinged by naming conventions, and only limitations they have are OOC naming. So no Luke Skywalker, Barack Obama, etc)

• Like 2

Hi there,

The backstory here makes sense to me and is believable within Grey lore, and I can see someone in NT with a sense of humour making it look Irish.

To be a tad bit of a pedant - greys would have a name and see the need for them, as they're not a hivemind that lacks individuality, and need a way to identify each other. Matter would have a telepathic "name", but this could be something with no easy common translation, such as a smell, mathematic or scientific concept, or the "feel" of your aura. That's why greys can identify each other in their psychic chat....but this isn't something easily written on an NT employment document. My Grey went with Michael rather than "the feeling of emptiness that exists in the space between galaxies."

This is all assuming you're not playing a ridiculous Irish stereotype of course - that should be reserved for a clown grey. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use