Broken game modes

robveelben

So I have been here for a while And I was wondering what others think about the many game modes that has been removed or should we try to fix them what is also possible is to try to replace them for the future of paradise.

Few examples of those that pretty much got removed.
- Nations

- Revoultion

- Xenomorphs

Few examples of those that got updated.

- Terror spiders

- Cult

- Syndicate agents

Example of mode that is about to die

- Shadowlings

These are the ones I am pretty much talking about I think in all honesty that we all can agree that those that got updated did improve things but most game modes are boring or just not fun to deal with if you are sec at times. I was wondering how many off you think if we should remove, add or update some gamemodes to make paradise fresh?

Heres my take on things

25 minutes ago, robveelben said:

- Nations

- Revoultion

- Xenomorphs

Nations was removed from the code because it was awful and had no real direction at all.

Revolution still exists but is only admin-forced due to how it basically just turns into RDM for heads, and makes the blueshield want to cry

Xenomorphs as a gamemode was a terrible idea, and they were just a midround event for a reason, before getting axed

26 minutes ago, robveelben said:

- Terror spiders

- Cult

- Syndicate agents

Terror spiders arent a gamemode, and likely wont ever be

Cult has been improved by overhauling the entire thing

Syndicate agents have been improved by adding contractors

27 minutes ago, robveelben said:

- Shadowlings

The mode isnt about to die per say, but we are working on making it more bearable

7 hours ago, robveelben said:

So I have been here for a while And I was wondering what others think about the many game modes that has been removed or should we try to fix them what is also possible is to try to replace them for the future of paradise.

- Nations

- Revoultion

- Xenomorphs

- Terror spiders

- Cult

- Syndicate agents

- Shadowlings

These are the ones I am pretty much talking about I think in all honesty that we all can agree that those that got updated did improve things but most game modes are boring or just not fun to deal with if you are sec at times. I was wondering how many off you think if we should remove, add or update some gamemodes to make paradise fresh?

Nations was axed completely because it was god-awful. It required an EXTREME amount of babysitting by admins and even then typically turned into all-out war due to the actions of one idiot in each department. Nations as a game mode was so bad that the only time admins would reliably use it was when a new admin had just joined the team and we wanted to haze and torment them as much as possible for their first shift as an admin. Its primary use was literally making admins suffer. There were one or two admins who'd also force it as an event, but this was rare, as it typically required 2 admins minimum to commit to devoting 2 hours to managing the round, one to manage ahelp tickets and another to manage the nations stuff. Neither admin could play in the round. It required that much supervision.

Revolution is not in rotation for various reasons. Its not really that well developed, and has a lot of gimmicks (like for example, if a head enters a locker even for a few seconds they count as dead for the rest of the round, without knowing it).

Xenos are covered on another thread. Basically they can't be a round type since they're not balanced for that, and not very fun or balanced in general.

Terrors are still in active development (by me) but I don't want to make them a game mode. I feel they're better as a late-round event that allows for intrigue/RP earlier in the shift while confronting the station with a big threat late-game. More generally I favor modes like traitor (which allow both action and RP) over game modes that instantly degenerate into team death match.

Cult was massively updated recently.

Traitors (the game mode) is probably the game's default mode.

Shadowlings are going to be patched/updated, not removed. That's the plan, anyway.

While in theory new game modes would be nice, it is an IMMENSE amount of work (both design and coding) to make a new game mode that's actually fun.
Per the latest Paradise Community Survey, Terrors are a close second (after Traitors) for the most fun antag type to fight against... but it took literally years of work on them to get them to that point. And even then, they're not a game mode and I'm against making them one.
Arguably making a new, original, fully fleshed out game mode would take, at minimum, MONTHS of work even if it was simple.

I will always miss nations. I was actually looking forward to managing a nations round when I became admin. Then nations got axed. I just traitor everyone instead. Though not very often as it's hell

I want to thank kyet fot your clear answer to were we are going I do hope we are able to enjoy those upcomming updates as shadowling is one of my favourites. I did stated terror spiders and Traitors were updated in the recent past while the rest were pretty much negelected so I was indeed wondering what the plans where. That is why I thought we could just drop the game modes that we are not working to make something new were the coders do have the passion for to create.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use