Introduce Scale to the Blueshield

Lurapa

Hi all,

This is a suggestion to bring the Blueshield up to standard with other aspects of the game. Our Cyborgs, Security, and Command have Standard Operating Procedures and scale that protect the Shift's fun.

Command:

Can't participate as their own Security Force, and are more confined by their SoP than non-command.

Security:

Can valid-hunt, but are limited by the Alert Level.

Cyborgs:

Laws limit them. Manifest limits them. And some OOC Round Quality Control limits them. An Engineer Cyborg cannot fortify everything into Fort Bridgetta, Fort Cargonus, Fort Briggton. On Green, or Blue. But they can start to do so on Red.

--

These are powerful roles that are all scaled to the Round's progression. The Blueshield is the only role that has such an immense, immediate, and expected power-creep. They rush for the AA (All-Access), and the AF (All-Frequency) Captain items.

What I suggest is that the Blueshield be limited to the alert level, and more closely follow their SoP and Job Manual. 

1. Blueshield does not get AA/AF.

1.1 Instead, if a Command is targeted/ the blueshield get AA to that department.

2. Limit valid-hunting, or valid-verbally.

(Things like hawking monitor like the Paramedic, and announcing for people to congregate to X location because Y is dying. Sure, if it is a Command Staff, go ahead. But being a hawkish protect of the common-joe isn't your job and it can hinder Antagonists. Let Security / Detective do their soul-searching).

Supporting Evidence:

1. Captain's Manual:

"You are NOT the hero the station deserves, and you are most certainly are NOT the one it needs. Just because Operatives are bashing down your door looking for your disc (Which should be in your bag, RIGHT?!) does not mean you should be making a heroic stand against them. Run as fast as you can out the other way and run even faster away again. If you lose your life, as pointed out earlier you will, at the very least; be handing antagonists the skeleton key to all unbolted doors, and at the very worst; the nuclear disc to Nuclear Operatives. Even if you are certain that you can take them on with a team of reliable(?) people behind you, then proceed with caution, and be prepared to yackity sacks it out of there, should things turn for the worse."

- The Captain, with his AA/AF, is expected to pussy-foot away. So why would a less-equip, same AA/AF Blueshield not be held to the same expectations? A Blueshield has poorer weaponry, poorer armor. They're suppose to die for the Captain to protect AA/AF. Not rush an Antagonist while having the items he is protecting from being taken if the Captain were to die.

2. Head of Personnel SoP (which is essentially: Identification Computer Handling SoP)

"The Head of Personnel may not give any personnel increased access without authorization from the relevant Head of Staff. This includes the Head of Personnel. In addition, the Head of Personnel may only give Captain-Level access to someone if they are the Acting Captain. This access is to be removed when a proper Captain arrives on the station;"

It can be argued, that HoP SoP is essentially ID Computer use SoP. Which the Captain should be subject to. It's just if the Captain were handling things in the HoP SoP a lot of it is auto-completed, he can approve his own stuff.  I like to look at this as limiters to non-antag command, to stop power-bloating.

As a closing note I'd like to parody the Blueshield's Manual:

"One very important detail of your job is that you are not Security. Do not let your Security (and Detective) access fool you. Your ID lets you reach every single Command Office on the station. You should not be concerned with the goings-on at Security, nor should you be doing their job for them. You are not a Security Officer with a private office and snazzy outfit. You are a bodyguard."

->

"One very important detail of your job is that you are Security, Medical, Science, Service, and Supply. Do not let your lack of authority dictate what you can say in command comms. Take advantage of your Captain Radio and turn advise into statements. You graduated the top of your class. You have all-access, and you should use it. Protect the Captain and HoP who have all-access from dying, by dying yourself. You didn't hand over the keys to the station, you simply died a bodyguard who happened to have worse equipment than the Captain, while sharing the same AA/AF."

SOP would be 5000 pages long if it covered every small, loophole. All Access should be reserved for Captain. These balances are already on the Manual (wiki page for Captain and Blueshield) but because its not in the very short SoP list, people think otherwise.

• Like 1
  • stunbaton 1
  • clown 1

Blueshield is probably my most played role. I like that you put a lot of thought into this post.

6 hours ago, Lurapa said:

1. Blueshield does not get AA/AF.

1.1 Instead, if a Command is targeted/ the blueshield get AA to that department.

2. Limit valid-hunting, or valid-verbally.

1. Blueshield doesn't get AA, at least not by their own volition. If the captain wants to hand over the spare ID, I think thats fine. I've never seen a Blueshield (when playing captain) ask for AA even if I don't hand over the spare.

I think the problem with the Blueshield having AA is that they are expendable and that sort of access shouldn't fall into wrong hands. I personally don't see it as that big of a problem being handed the captains spare but it does go against the spirit of "Blueshield being expendable". A better solution might be putting spare in the safe and telling Blueshield the codes so they can get it in an emergency.

2. I think this is an out of game issue more than an ingame issue. To me it's clear that the Blueshield is not a fancy Security officer. If someone doesn't understand that, they need to be reminded.

• Like 1

Yeah, 

I agree. While a game-community issue. It can be influenced by ingame limitations. Be it the rules being updated, or the ingame start being respected and looked at more.

e.g I don't want to see Blueshields, when Command is stacked. Having authority (when they do not have any) to change AI laws, call shuttle, contribute heavily to the RP scene of Command decisions. They can comment, but shouldn't be a raging wizard about it. Too often the Blueshield RP-breaks to snide-remark or comment/enforce an idea, action or other. To create a false authority.

This is enabled further through Captain ID, Captain Radio. 

OOC Blueshields need to be looked at with more focus. It's an extremely powerful role, that is suppose to be limited, but has lost all those limitations through social engineering within our community. It is simply assumed that a BS now gets AA / AF. Can now get away with Redshield/Changing Laws.

Mind me, though. That the lee-way is very much curved to Security as well. Who can unlawfully shoot, baton, or other - space law crime, and simply get ignored because #It's only Minor.

Which baffles me since it may as well not be included in Space Law if no one, IC or OOC tries to properly enforce it. The few times as IAA, Magi, or other that I try to tell Blueshield or Security off via reports or spess law, its often responded to with - 'but y its minor crime...'

• Like 2

Securing high-value theft items in secure locations “just in case” someone tries to steal them is classified as powergaming. The nuke disk and spare ID are expected to be secured, however.

Bolting down secure locations before any threat is seen is classified as powergaming. This is mainly a consideration for the AI - at shift start, bolting down the teleporter should not be done. EVA should almost never be locked down. The AI may however lock down or reinforce their satellite, in accordance with their laws.

Amassing weapons and healing items for personal use “just in case” an antag attacks you is seen as powergaming - people should be acting as if it is an average shift (Until it’s not). Don’t act like a doomsday prepper. Keep your supplies reasonable for the role and situation. If you’re an engineer dealing with space carp, it’s quite reasonable to have healing supplies and a weapon - but not to outgun the armoury. Also remember other people may need these supplies.

Each round is considered a new round, and actions from other rounds should not be taken into account for the next. If someone committed a crime in one round, you cannot send them to the brig in the next for it.

A rule of thumb is to remember the positive but forget the negative. You can remember that someone is a good doctor or engineer, but you should not hold against them if they accidentally released the singularity a few rounds ago.

--------------------------

Are some of the rules, I feel apply to the Blueshield stacking we see. I should stop calling it Blueshield power-ups, Blueshield sterioids. Blueshield - etc. The word I should have used is Powergaming.  As mentioned in my 1st post, Cyborgs that Powergame are often asked to dismantle their constructs until Red Alert happens. The Blueshield Powergame ticks all these advanced rules that I have copy and pasted here. The argument against Blueshield not being nerfed as my suggestion goes. It simply - "They protect command and try and be ready for any threat, to be a bodyguard". Well, Security protect the Cyberiad/Crew. Cyborgs protect (depending on their laws). Those two demographics are blocked by the Powergame rules, to do as the Blueshield does.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with most of your points, but I think that the Blueshield should have security comms. There is no good way to know the situation otherwise as far as threat to command goes. But yeah, definitely don't like trespassing asshole blueshields who act like borrowing an all access ID means they can't trespass. Redshielding is already forbidden so just ahelp redshields since noone on station has real authority over them.

Anecdotally, as a captain, a blueshield got very upset when I denied them the spare ID. They also did not understand when I did not give them the pinpointer. I instead gave the pinpointer to the Head of Security, and placed the spare ID in a secure location I could retrieve it from in the case of my death and revival. When a member of command was targeted by an antag, blueshield was the first to rush in and demand access, which I only gave additional access to the department of the targeted head of staff (with their input/permission).

On the other side of it, I hate when as an antag who needs to retrieve the NAD, that once I've gotten it, the blueshield fucking terminator walks in my direction endlessly to blow me off of existence with two(sometimes three) AeGs.

• clown 1
  • toolbox 1

Yeah, a lot of blueshields get cranky when no spare. And a good amount powergames quite significantly, I think there should be a clear limitation on what weapons they are allowed to use.

Holy hell do I get blueshield who are toxic if I don’t give them the spare ID. It’s either I get threaten if I don’t hand it over and tell me I am not doing my job properly, goes behind my back and have HoP give them AA or completely avoids protecting me at all cost, could care less IMO. I find it very stupid they get the captain’s spare headset too. They don’t need it. The only thing that makes sense is them having the pin pointer, for obvious reasons.

the nad should always be on the captain as per SOP. I got yelled at for hiding it in the wall or floor safe.

• Like 1

As someone who both Blueshields and Captains a lot, my issues with Blueshields tend to be them not understanding their job fully. There's a reason my "Blueshield Kit" is mostly medical gear: my job is to take the Head away from the baddie and RUN AWAY. If you start to hunt antags or dive into Maints alone, you are 100% doing your job completely wrong.

The only reason that the pinpointer is given to the Blueshield is so that if an Antag nabs the Captain, you have a nice tracking beacon that will take 10-15s to remove from their bags. If the NAD is lost but you resecure the Captain, the HoS should honestly get the NAD to cooridinate searching for it.

In terms of AA, its useful, especially on Red, and ESPECIALLY in hijack situations. It allows you to move directly through departments and drag injured Heads away or get to them faster. I know as a Captain, you get a no-strike policy for me that if you abuse your AA and someone tells me, its gone for the rest of the round for ya. Ditto on Captain's Headset. You use it to monitor, not make inputs. The second someone starts mini-Cap'ing, you lose the privilege.

Honestly, its going to take a lot of the Command/Captain mains telling off problematic Blueshields to help alleviate the issues, rather than making IC fixes for it.

• Like 2

My balance to this would be introducing scale to the blueshield.

Shift Start:

Normal Access, Normal Radio.

Radio:

- Security Radio once a Command Member has a clear threat directed at them. Given to the Blueshield when Security determines it as such, through investigation or the Head actually being attacked and there being clear indication of it.

ID Access:

- To departments whom had their Head of Department office hacked into, the Head attacked/or made a clear target.

/or Medbay and or Security whom Heads are around people constantly during Red. 

This can be done through AA to THOSE departments. Not AA 5 minutes into Shift.

Weaponry/Items:

- If it justifies the threat.

Blueshield is a Bodyguard. They shouldn't waltz into X, Y, Z Department WITH the enabled access to swipe a security headset, a detective scanner, six crew monitors, the entire assortment of medical supplies from the table east of Chemist. 

Scale would make them more fair, fun, and enjoyable. The Community has warped the Blueshield anything but. It's hardly anything like the Wiki Guideline, or the SoP now. And that is rarely ever punished.  Staff are torn on how Blueshield interacts with powergame rules.

When it is made quite clear, from a personal perspective/opinion. IF you change keywords from Security Officer, etc - to Blueshield. It should not be intended.

If a Security Officer tasked with protecting the Station, is unable to hoard medical supplies to heal up potential victims of a Space Crime, just because. A Blueshield shouldn't need a whole surgery table, a dozen medical variants. They get given what they should get.

Stuff. To. Stabilize. Death Implants to announce when they die, not Security Comms. 

It makes me kind of wish we had a sort of CM system. Giving a Sec Officer /Blueshield higher slip/fail rate versus a Medical Doctor /Surgeon.

Honestly, Blueshield should have Security comms. Coordinating the safe retrieval of a kidnapped Head is something thats VERY painful to do without them. And if a Blueshield is acting like an Officer and responding to Sec calls on the radio? Demote them, instantly, Redshields are a pain in the ass.

Like I said earlier, most of the Blueshield "issues" are more of a player behavior/actions thing, which should be fixed from an overall Command/mindset level and not IC/OOC rules/SoP.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 5:24 AM, MattTheFicus said:

You use it to monitor, not make inputs. The second someone starts mini-Cap'ing, you lose the privilege.

Honestly, its going to take a lot of the Command/Captain mains telling off problematic Blueshields to help alleviate the issues, rather than making IC fixes for it.

I see that a lot, more than Redshields. Blueshields who will crowbar their way into a two-way argument between command staff or try to enforce their view onto things. You get this allot with Blues who usually main HOP/Captain. 

When I do Blueshield, which is rare as I got to be in the mood for it, offering input when asked for it is fine. Making suggestions to a overwhelmed captain who may be new or just out of his league is also fine, as long as it's a suggestion and not a statement of fact.

I also don't understand captains who don't hand over the pinpointer. The one thing that really makes the Blueshield do his job with efficiency and haste when retrieving command. I would never argue over what I deem to be an optional bonus, and that is being given the spare ID on green, and sometimes I've even refused to take the spare. Pinpointer though? Give that shit to the Blueshield. Their job is to protect the command staff, which they can do with increased efficiency if they have it.

I'll echo people here a bit. Most importantly that a Blueshield should be resourceful, not full of resources.

What Blueshields use AA for the most? Anyone who worked in RnD knows.
Honestly, makes me feel like giving Blueshield RnD and armory accesses would be enough to satisfy them.

Something's horribly wrong when smacking our favourite blue loot pinata is, in practice, more lucrative than killing an ERT member. Full access (not just airlocks, but comm console, sec records and ID console), all channels, enough weaponry to use RnD forcefully for even more weaponry, secHUDglasses (only unrobust Blueshields use medHUDglasses), bowman headset, 2/3 IDs required to launch the shuttle early, the list just goes on and on. If you kill a non-red ERT, you get only one ID and no secHUDs, in exchange for mostly useless ERT-exclusive access (have fun getting killed by admins for hijacking the ERT shuttle) and one channel that ERT rarely uses for anything relevant.

A regular crew member carrying more goodies than ERT member should probably fall under powergaming rule, especially on code green.

• Like 2

As a person with over 100 blueshield hours I’ll chime in here and agree that it’s more of an issue with the people who play blueshield rather than the function of the role itself. From what I’ve seen it’s extremely uncommon to not get the spare, or at least an access upgrade but I can definitely see why it’s frustrating to not have it. Standing on the other side of an atmos airlock while the CE is screaming for you is no help at all.

As for power gaming I guess this is always going to be a debate. You are one person looking after 8 people spread out to different sides of the station. It’s not an easy job once shit hits the fan, I don’t think asking for a jump gene injection and an AEG to supplement your very underwhelming stun revolver on red alert is all that big of a deal. If you’re running around with a full medbay, 6 guns, an RCD and methed up with every combat implant...yeah that might be a different story. 

When I'm captain, I've started locking the spare into the safe and give the HoS and the Blueshield the codes in case of my demise. Then maybe increase the Blueshield access.

The spare is a bit too valuable to be held by a bodyguard who is supposed to sacrifice their life for members of command.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use