New Mining Alternative Job (Not A Replacement, An Addition) The Shipbreaker

Leanfrog

(Yes this is lots of mapping and code work I know, but it's simply a suggestion that could be PR'd or implemented at a later date)

The Concept

For the most part this suggestion is a rip from the game Hardspace Shipbreaker, in Hardspace you play as a massively indebted Shipbreaker, as the name implies your job is to dismantle star ships depositing various ship components and parts in the correct places all the while dealing with the various hazards that come with taking apart a ship rated for interstellar travel.

The Details

The new job would be based out of an extension of the brig which currently has a large amount of empty space to its north, it would function as a quasi prisoner role. The extension would be a salvage bay with machinery that can process the salvaged ship components into raw ores as well as a small prep room with a handful of budget EVA suits. Ships would be generated from various "modules" that are pieced together to create a proper ship, with a rare chance for one of a few pre-made alien ships. Ships would have various components ranging from experimental bluespace drives to simple steel plating and have various hazards ranging from, explosive coolant release to reactor meltdown.
Certain modules could contain more interesting items that may or may not be illegal, to prevent another Lavaland situation there would be a contraband detector at the main entry port, traitors could buy a job specific pouch that can conceal any one item from the scanner while fitting in your pocket at a price cheaper than a storage implant, storage implants would serve the same purpose while maintaining their current state.

The Reason

We're sorely in need of more jobs, this would be something unique and interesting that would also create a safeish place to work with and understand more advanced systems like atmos that wouldn't directly impact the station.

While yes this would be quite a large task code and mapping wise, I for one think this would be a worthwhile addition to the server that would be enjoyable for a broad spectrum of players as well as add in a quasi-prisoner role that has been suggested a number of times before.

• Like 8

We need to remove useless jobs that serve no function first and replace it with useful jobs in my eyes I think your idea has some merit but it would be long time before the coders have time to implement it and I doubt it would happen anytime soon

• 2 months later...

Necromancy time

It's been a while but now that the mapping freeze is over this could potentially be developed if there was anyone willing to take up the project

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use