Say before you faint

Krossarn

I’ll try keeping it short...

I bet we all have had the experience of trying to speak or reporting something to or about an antag etc. and faint/be put too sleep/muted/empd... gibbed... and not have the message sent.

What if the message you’ve been trying to say will automatically be sent right before you faint and the likes?

like when you’re an sec officer and patrolling. Then you might hear something like:

[security] Sticky Bomb [security officer] :”Send backup to the chapel, might have a changel-”(mute).

Instead of, as it is now, nothing sent at all.

Just a thought I had.. What do you think? Would it make it harder/unfair for antags?

• Like 2

Antags already have it hard enough. This just makes the entire idea of being one completely unfun.

Between Security and a Station out for blood, they'd be screwed 9/10 times by the auto-last message feature you're proposing.

While it does make a little sense and is kinda interesting, gotta ask in what way would this be fun?

I'm not even certain would that be possible without rewriting the entire chat system from a scratch.
Pretty sure it just waits to grab a full string and then runs checks for silence. There's no silence checks as you type to find out the state of your string right before silencing.

If you want to send partial messages via radio after being EMPd, that would require you to likely rewrite how T-comms equipment and EMPs work, too.

Massive amounts of work and regardless of how people feel about it, it's unlikely for anyone to code it for you. If you learn how to do it and present a solution, it could be considered.

Assuming it's doable, Bryan already presents the most obvious issue: While realistic, how does it make the game more fun? Once you know you're about to be silenced, you'll just squeeze as much info about assailant in as possible without worrying about sending the message. Instead of stupidly screaming ";HELP MAINTS" you'll now scream ";HELP MAINTS URIST MCBEARDSON CHANGELING MURDER ME (...)" without worrying your message will take too long to send it.
Overall, it'd be an antag nerf in the name of realism and we don't need that much realism in a silly video game.

We've had to deal with people making entire binds to report their exact location to comms in the past, the feature, while admittedly cool and could be used to good effect, would be abused the minute it gets added.

I think this would make it much more difficult for antags to have a chance. This would most negatively effect newer players as it's already difficult enough for them to attempt to do syndie/cult objectives that involve kidnapping/assassinations. Maybe if we had a bigger map this would be feasible? Boxstation already has such small amounts of places to hide and do illegal things that announcing the location of the antag before they get away ruins the fun of trying to hunt them down.

@BryanRPoint taken.

@GatchapodUnderstandable. I don’t know a thing about coding. But rewriting a whole system.. Big no-go.

@BlessedGo figure.. Did not think of it to be abused. But someone will always try..

@Sirryan2002Yes you are right. Newer players will indeed get a much more difficult time. I did not have them in mind.

All in all. This suggestion was something i thought of while watching some series on the TV. It sounded better in my head. 
Thank you all for your input!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use