New Janitor Mechanic: Tough Stains

PacifistDalek

HI, SKRELLY MAYS HERE. HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU? GROUND IN DIRT IN YOUR SPACE STATION? UNHOLY UNREMOVABLE BLOOD STAINS ON YOUR MEDBAY BEDS? WELL, WITH NEW VOXYCLEAN, THOSE PROBLEMS ARE A THING OF THE PAST!

Janitor is a job that I enjoy, but is very rote, with the cleaning being very simple and repetitive. However, if you've been a professional cleaner, you know that once in a while, for sometimes inexplicable reasons, you find a stain or spill that is almost impossible to remove with your normal tools.

With that in mind, I had a thought for a mechanic for Janitors to make their work a little more complex. I haven't nailed down the details, and would love to hear anyone else's thoughts or suggestions on this, but basically:

Blood, oil, and other cleanable would have a small chance to be an "ultra tough stain". In order to clean it, normal Janitor tools don't work. Instead, using a device similar to the Detective/Coroner's scanners, or the reagent scanner, the Janitor would need to scan the stain to find out what kind of special chemical is needed to remove the stain. This could be created by chemistry, or hydroponics, or perhaps ordered special from cargo. Cleaning this stain would basically require a little quest to get the materials to clean it, and there would be some incentive to doing so. Perhaps a station announcement from the "League of Master Custodians" venerating the janitor, or some sort of special clothing, or even like a recoloured janicart if they clean enough of them. Something to incentivize them to actually clean it, and requiring the scanner would mean that only Janitors could clean it, not mopbots or assistants with a wet rag.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Sounds like a way for a janitor to trick someone into giving interesting chemicals or toxins. I like that actually. Just needs to be quiet rare so station doesnt get filed with untemovable dirt 30 minutes into the round

Edited by McRamon
  • Like 1

Yeah,I was thinking along the line of 2 to 4 such spots popping up on the station per round 

Edit: I want to make sure theres an incentive for the janitor to seek them out and clean them though, otherwise 2 to 4 would be easy to ignore

Edited by PacifistDalek

I like this idea. But I'd like to expand on making the janitor role more crucial. As I've suggested a dozen times before: Make bad station hygiene have more repercussions, such as deadly disease outbreaks (I mean .. often there's a lot of blood blood, everywhere).

• Like 3

Ever had a lasagna stay in your fridge for two months and start to mutate its own ecosystem ? 

Could have something like that - unscrubbable stain is not handheld ? it could start mutating things, pop out beefed up and hostile ants/cockroaches, attracting feral cats maybe ? Not something too major, as custodial duty is very often performed by less experienced people and it'd be a bad idea to put too much strain on them, but it'd be interesting to have them as "lesser anomalies" that can actually have a small impact on the shift. Diseases would be good, too - gives both the janitor AND the virology extra, hopefully interesting, work !

Edited by Peak
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use