Spawn proper paperwork for job's that could make use of it

henri215

There's two objectives with this suggestion: 

1- Make people use proper format for paperwork when necessary( dont fax CC simple looking documents), good to orientate people to include important details like signature.

2- Encourage people to make use of paperwork that they don't know exist's without having to actively search at wiki

I see two way's this could be done, make it spawn in a specific place for each job, or make it an option when removing paper from paper bin ( Just like how it's done with nanotrasen paper bin), people would still be allowed to use their custom paperwork form's.

Here's what i would suggest for each job paperwork:

Cargo - Item Request Form ( ONLY USE FOR IMPORTANT ITEMS, BUCKET ISN'T IMPORTANT!)

Mechanic - Vehicle Purchase  - This job can have the luxury of wasting time on such things since he doesn't get a bunch of client's and considering that buying a space pod is a big thing (enough to request money and paperwork over it).

Detective - Detective Report - This job requires you to gather evidence and to connect the dots to solve cases, i personally always use report's for my investigation's and for giving out copies to warden or HoS so  i don't have to explain every time what happened over radio.

Magistrate/IAA - Complain/Investigation/Report forms - Yes, they already make use of those, but by doing that we would be making their life easier and ensuring they would use proper formats for such serious subjects.

Nanotrasen Rep - Report Form - Making life easier and making sure they use proper formats.

Robotics - Cyborgification Contract - So they can have it in hand's when someone comes asking for it ( and again, with proper format)

RD - Donate yourself to science form and AI contract - Not that important but i have seen people using Donate paperwork before.

Hop - Job Transfer/Additional Access/Demotion/Lost ID forms - Makes his life easier if they wish for paperwork records.

Psychologist - Psychological Report - Would encourage him to do what he's meant to do, make reports about crew mental state

Virologist - Relasing Virus - Make his life easier

Coroner - Autopsy Report - Encourages the coroner to make proper autopsy reports, including cause of death, corpse characteristics and important information's wich could help the detective.

Give me ideas on how this could be implemented and share your personal experience on what would work or not.

Cargo: PaperworkCargo is a bane of existence and can just be remedied by having a QM be around to approve/deny questionable things
Mechanic: This would be neat, but 9/10 Mechanic just disappears into space to loot things anyway
Detective: The printable-sheet from your scanner has a notes section if i remember correctly
Magi/IAA: These are the rolls most likely to use paperwork, and from my experiences, most of the more adept players in these rolls already HAVE personalized templates to use, so giving them starting paperwork seems kinda eh
NT Rep: See above, same idea
Robotics: This WOULD be a job id like to see a form set for, as technically they NEED the paperwork to dodge any wrongful borging charges
RD: Ehhhhhh, falls under robotics in my opinion, and doing paperwork for RND would be a nightmare
HoP: Ditto for Rep/Magi/IAA, adept HoPs will have their own forms
Psych: Its an RP job, most will likely have their own forms, if theyre not tiding and just using the free drugs
Coroner: Im like 70% certain the autopsy scanner has a note section, much like the Det's scanner

15 minutes ago, MattTheFicus said:

Cargo: PaperworkCargo is a bane of existence and can just be remedied by having a QM be around to approve/deny questionable things
Mechanic: This would be neat, but 9/10 Mechanic just disappears into space to loot things anyway
Detective: The printable-sheet from your scanner has a notes section if i remember correctly
Magi/IAA: These are the rolls most likely to use paperwork, and from my experiences, most of the more adept players in these rolls already HAVE personalized templates to use, so giving them starting paperwork seems kinda eh
NT Rep: See above, same idea
Robotics: This WOULD be a job id like to see a form set for, as technically they NEED the paperwork to dodge any wrongful borging charges
RD: Ehhhhhh, falls under robotics in my opinion, and doing paperwork for RND would be a nightmare
HoP: Ditto for Rep/Magi/IAA, adept HoPs will have their own forms
Psych: Its an RP job, most will likely have their own forms, if theyre not tiding and just using the free drugs
Coroner: Im like 70% certain the autopsy scanner has a note section, much like the Det's scanner

Cargo: Only competent QM should try using those forms :) (NOT FOR WRENCHS!)

Mechanic: While playing as mechanic i use this form and the flow of things is fine, it's not something THAT important but it's cool.  And yes, the thing about people disappearing into space to explore is a problem mechanic has, in wich people treat it like explorer 2.0

Detective/Coroner: Yes, they both have notes. When the round has too many things going on i have to use those notes for quick records, but i still prefer using proper forms when possible because i can have different more detailed information's (and it's beautiful)

Magi/IAA/NT Rep: What about first time IAAs? Maybe standard forms can help them guide themselves on this at first glance, boring job. And i think it's a job that forces you to use the wiki to search for example forms or how to make your own, the game itself doesn't have the ''tool'' you need.

RD: I have never seen people using paperwork for RnD and i imagine it would be chaos just like when Cargo does the same :). About donating your body to science form it's more about giving yourself to genetics so they can use you as subject, that's what i have always seen it being used for.

HoP: Yes, most of them have their own forms, i included this one just to make his life easier, ready to use forms.

Psych: Giving them ready to use forms would encourage them even more to report problematic crew mental status i imagine.

As a lover of paperwork, I like this idea. It bugs me that this company hires some heads that show no regards for paperwork at all, when the company themselves seem to worship it, based on the hiring forms in the IAA office and the guide to writing faxes. It's also, for me at least, a guilty pleasure to make someone fill out a form as HOP when they want a jobchange. It takes like 1-2 minutes but it makes so many people completely pissed off. "What? I have to fill in a short form to change career completely!? THATS INSANE!".

I think putting pre-formatted paperwork in easy to acces places for jobs that could use it will encourage people to use it. Exposing newcomers as soon as possible to the wondrous world of paperwork is a good idea in my mind. I think the eliminating the extra hurdle of going to the wiki, finding the right paperwork, copying it and pasting it, would make paperwork more abundant.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maxfromsweden said:

As a lover of paperwork, I like this idea. It bugs me that this company hires some heads that show no regards for paperwork at all, when the company themselves seem to worship it, based on the hiring forms in the IAA office and the guide to writing faxes. It's also, for me at least, a guilty pleasure to make someone fill out a form as HOP when they want a jobchange. It takes like 1-2 minutes but it makes so many people completely pissed off. "What? I have to fill in a short form to change career completely!? THATS INSANE!".

I think putting pre-formatted paperwork in easy to acces places for jobs that could use it will encourage people to use it. Exposing newcomers as soon as possible to the wondrous world of paperwork is a good idea in my mind. I think the eliminating the extra hurdle of going to the wiki, finding the right paperwork, copying it and pasting it, would make paperwork more abundant.

Hello Paperwork Hop comrade, i think the same, it has potential to encourage to be better at their job and to teach them not to fear the pen. (Handing out paperwork as Hop isn't a bad thing, since while the person fills it i am updating his ID and PDA, one dream we paperwork HoP have is someone walking in with the required paperwork and permission just waiting for transfer. :)  )

If you care for paperwork, you propably can already prepare your own form. 

If not, there are example paperwork you can use on the wiki. 

Also feel free to use my two templates:

[center][logo][/center]
[hr][b][center][large]Head of Personel desk, NSS Cyberiad[/large][/b][/center]

[small]From: [sign][/small]
[small]To: [field][/small]
[hr]
[field]

[small][b]Glory to NanoTrasen,[/b][/small]
[small][b]Jim Bennet, Head of Personel onboard NSS Cyberiad[/b][small]

and CC version:

[center][logo][/center]
[hr][b][center][large]NanoTrasen Representative desk, NSS Cyberiad[/large][/b][/center]

[small]To: NAS Trurl, Epsilon Erdani[/small]
[hr]
[field]

[small][b]Mira Sky, NT Representative onboard NSS Cyberiad[/b][small]

Of course, you gotta replace whos desk it is, and name accordingly.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:33 PM, procdrone said:

If you care for paperwork, you propably can already prepare your own form. 

If not, there are example paperwork you can use on the wiki. 

Also feel free to use my two templates:

[center][logo][/center]
[hr][b][center][large]Head of Personel desk, NSS Cyberiad[/large][/b][/center]

[small]To: [field][/small]
[hr]
[field]

[small][b]Jim Bennet, Head of Personel onboard NSS Cyberiad[/b][small]

and CC version:

[center][logo][/center]
[hr][b][center][large]NanoTrasen Representative desk, NSS Cyberiad[/large][/b][/center]

[small]To: NAS Trurl, Epsilon Erdani[/small]
[hr]
[field]

[small][b]Mira Sky, NT Representative onboard NSS Cyberiad[/b][small]

Of course, you gotta replace whos desk it is, and name accordingly.

I use custom forms and some from the ''example paperwork'' page from the wiki, not saying that standard forms wich would be spawned should replace all customs and be made the official one, paperwork to me has benefical effects and i want people to atleast have the chance to touch it and be encourage without having to searching for wiki links.

Nice custom templates you have, right now i dont have my own fax custom forms.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea, although this'd lead to a lot of random "paper" names cluttering up the tag. That's not a real problem on the player side of things, but the endless "obj/item/paper/reqform" and "obj/item/paper/jobchange" would mess up the admin side of it. Still worth it in the end, though, as just having paperwork easily accessible (without having to futz with godawful BBCode) would almost certainly make people more likely to use it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Norwest said:

I like the idea, although this'd lead to a lot of random "paper" names cluttering up the tag. That's not a real problem on the player side of things, but the endless "obj/item/paper/reqform" and "obj/item/paper/jobchange" would mess up the admin side of it. Still worth it in the end, though, as just having paperwork easily accessible (without having to futz with godawful BBCode) would almost certainly make people more likely to use it.

Would it be possible to create a book that has all the proper BBCode'd paperwork examples in it to copy/paste? Might be a bit of an IC break, but it might help avoid the spammage of object types.

• Like 1

What would be perfect is if there was a 'paperwork' pda cartridge/pda program that replaces the document editor function of modular laptops.

You could have them come with pre-defined templates you can use or modify, the ability to print or scan documents, etc.

4 hours ago, Eler00 said:

What would be perfect is if there was a 'paperwork' pda cartridge/pda program that replaces the document editor function of modular laptops.

You could have them come with pre-defined templates you can use or modify, the ability to print or scan documents, etc.

One pda cartridge containing all paperwork templates from all jobs or specefic ones only?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use